Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, paulcoates said:

I am fairly certain that Chris Davis is wholly untradeable.  There are maybe 4 or 5 contracts in baseball that are worse

Price: 18:$30M, 19:$31M, 20:$32M, 21:$32M, 22:$32M (4 YRS / $157M)

Heyward:18:$21.5M, 19:$20M, 20:$21M, 21:$21M,22:$22M, 23:$22M (6 YRS $127.5M)

Davis:18:$23M, 19:$23M, 20:$23M, 21:$23M, 22:$23M (5 YRS / $115M)

Pujols: 18:$27M, 19:$28M, 20:$29M, 21:$30M (4 YRS / $114M)

Zimmerman:18:$21.5M, 19:$20M, 20:$21M (3 YRS $62.5M)

To a lesser extent I would consider Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton to have  terrible contracts. Not that these guys are gonna be traded to the Orioles for Davis

Cabrera: 18:$30M, 19:$30M, 20:$30M, 21:$30M, 22:$32M, 23:$32M, 24:$30M club option ($8M buyout), 25:$30M club option - (6 YRS $192M at a minimum)

Stanton: 18:$25M, 19:$26M, 20:$26M,21:$29M, 22:$29M, 23:$32M, 24:$32M, 25:$32M, 26:$29M,27:$25M, 28:$25M club option ($10M buyout) (10 YRS - $294M at a minimum)

Before anyone wonders why I included Stanton, I think when he starts declining, that contract is brutal and a complete albatross

HHP

37 minutes ago, weams said:

No?

No.

Besides, if Boston makes it very obvious to him that they no longer want him on the team, he could simply opt out after next year.  Will he?  Who knows.  But I can assure you that I would rather have Price than Davis every day of the week

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Detroit still has Cabrera with $180M left on his deal. They wont trade for Davis nor can they probably afford Davis. Their owner who was free spending also just died. Its likely the next in command will be alot more frugal. The O's are probably stuck with Davis, they should be looking to move Trumbo's more manageable contract instead.

I agree. The O's are stuck with CD. 

I dunno why you'd move him now and sell low.  I'd call it 50/50 next year whether he has another year like the last two or hit's 40+ HR's and drives in 100+.  You just never know with him.  If he can stay healthy and he gets on a hot streak, we'll be glad he's in the lineup.

40 minutes ago, esmd said:

I dunno why you'd move him now and sell low.  I'd call it 50/50 next year whether he has another year like the last two or hit's 40+ HR's and drives in 100+.  You just never know with him.  If he can stay healthy and he gets on a hot streak, we'll be glad he's in the lineup.

There are worse things than selling low on a player.  One of them is being enslaved to a bad decision longer than you have to.  Maximizing trade value is great, but hardly necessary.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

There are worse things than selling low on a player.  One of them is being enslaved to a bad decision longer than you have to.  Maximizing trade value is great, but hardly necessary.

Yes and I put it at very long odds he ever hits 40 HRs and drives in 100. He’ll get worse before he gets better. 

3-way trade

• Marlins get: 3 prospects and $10 million (from the Red Sox); Chris Davis and $10 million (from the Orioles)
  • Orioles get: Rick Porcello and Tzu-Wei Lin (from the Red Sox)
  • Red Sox get: Giancarlo Stanton (from the Marlins)

It's a nice haul for the Marlins in terms of prospects and financial savings. Davis gives them a "big bat" for the middle of the lineup.

Porcello might help the O's in one of the two years he'd spend with the team (or not), but at least he'd resemble a major league pitcher and they'd be out from under Davis's contract. Lin  would be a young, lefty-hitting utility player, which they could use.

Giancarlo Stanton would give the Red Sox the Big Papi replacement they need.

For the O's, the deal comes down to Chris Davis and $10 million for Rick Porcello and Tzu-Wei Lin.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

3-way trade

• Marlins get: 3 prospects and $10 million (from the Red Sox); Chris Davis and $10 million (from the Orioles)

It's a nice haul for the Marlins in terms of prospects and financial savings. Davis gives them a "big bat" for the middle of the lineup.

Porcello might help the O's in one of the two years he'd spend with the team (or not), but at least he'd resemble a major league pitcher and they'd be out from under Davis's contract. Kim would be a young, lefty-hitting utility player, which they could use.

For the O's, the deal comes down to Chris Davis and $10 million for Rick Porcello and Tzu-Wei Lin.

I dont think the Red Sox want to give up Porcello, Lin plus three prospects for Stanton even if they do need his power. Also not sure about Jeter wanting to add payroll. Maybe if the O's did something like bring back Chen's salary it would work. 

32 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think the Red Sox want to give up Porcello, Lin plus three prospects for Stanton even if they do need his power. Also not sure about Jeter wanting to add payroll. Maybe if the O's did something like bring back Chen's salary it would work. 

This deal saves the Marlins a fortune. Stanton's contract is a monster.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

3-way trade

Porcello might help the O's in one of the two years he'd spend with the team (or not), but at least he'd resemble a major league pitcher and they'd be out from under Davis's contract. Kim would be a young, lefty-hitting utility player, which they could use.

Porcello was still a league average pitcher this season and only has 3 years left on his deal making 20 per. Chris Davis was replacement level, is still under contract for 5 more years, making more per and somehow the Orioles trade him, only throw in 10 million, and get a useful starter and another player back?

Something ain't stirring the Kool-Aid here.

Archived