Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

He advocated trading one player to free up money for the Davis contract. So while he did not say specifically and precisely how much money he would be OK with giving Davis, the fact that he was in favor of trading somebody in order to free up money for Davis would suggest that he wanted to keep Davis, and at a considerable cost.

Also, webbrick being webbrick, his habit/agenda of always criticizing the Orioles at every possible chance may have been at least part of the reason why he voted that he absolutely hated it. Saying that he wanted to trade another player to free up money to sign Davis, and then turning around and voting that it was "absolutely terrible, completely against the contract" isn't particularly consistent

o

You of course taking what I said completely out of context to fuel your personal attack. My thought on saying trade Jones to sign Davis was under the context if you are committed to signing Davis (which I was never for at any cost) then at least trade another declining veteran (Jones) and get back some young prospects and budget to balance out wasting money on Davis. Feel free to spin things however you want if it makes you feel better.  I have been very clear and consistent that I am against all long term (>3 year contracts) to players that are going to be over 30 years for more than 1/2 of said contract.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

He advocated trading one player to free up money for the Davis contract. So while he did not say specifically and precisely how much money he would be OK with giving Davis, the fact that he was in favor of trading somebody in order to free up money for Davis would suggest that he wanted to keep Davis, and at a considerable cost.

Also, webbrick being webbrick, his habit/agenda of always criticizing the Orioles at every possible chance may have been at least part of the reason why he voted that he absolutely hated it. Saying that he wanted to trade another player to free up money to sign Davis, and then turning around and voting that it was "absolutely terrible, completely against the contract" isn't particularly consistent

o

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

You of course taking what I said completely out of context to fuel your personal attack. My thought on saying trade Jones to sign Davis was under the context if you are committed to signing Davis (which I was never for at any cost) then at least trade another declining veteran (Jones) and get back some young prospects and budget to balance out wasting money on Davis. Feel free to spin things however you want if it makes you feel better.  I have been very clear and consistent that I am against all long term (>3 year contracts) to players that are going to be over 30 years for more than 1/2 of said contract.

o

And if you had said that in the thread that you had started advocating for trading a player in order to free up payroll to sign Chris Davis, you explanation would be plausible.

You didn't, hence your intent was as clear as your OP in the thread that I cited. I took nothing out of context. 

o

If the O's ended up going through a total rebuild and sell off Machado, Britton, etc, this contract might have value still.  If the O's sign Schoop long term, the prospects we obtain from a sell off mature, and our system is replenished, we could be competing within two to three years.  By then, there are maybe two years left on Davis' contract.  Maybe he's the bridge that carries the winning tradition to the next successful O's run.  If he's averaging 25-30 HRs and 90-100 BB's as a more mature hitter by then, he might be a big piece to our next playoff run.  By the time his contract runs out I'm sure we will have a 1B prospect to phase him out, but his ability to carry the torch to our next competitive ball club, especially if Jones is gone by then, could be a huge asset and make his contract worth it.

• 2 months later...

The O's should trade Davis to the Red Sox for David Price.  The Red Sox would have to send $10 mill/year to equalize the contracts.  Mancini becomes the O's 1B.  Trumbo is full time DH (if he can't be traded).  At $21 mill/yr, Price would be reasonably affordable as #2 starter.  Price just seems like one of those guys who can't stand the media scrutiny of Boston and will improve once he is out of there.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's should trade Davis to the Red Sox for David Price.  The Red Sox would have to send $10 mill/year to equalize the contracts.  Mancini becomes the O's 1B.  Trumbo is full time DH (if he can't be traded).  At $21 mill/yr, Price would be reasonably affordable as #2 starter.  Price just seems like one of those guys who can't stand the media scrutiny of Boston and will improve once he is out of there.

If you could pull this one off, I'd be all for it.   Not sure the Sox would entertain anything like this, though.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think if that trade were to happen, the Orioles would have to send the Red Sox significant money.

I love the idea. I think this is the only way to get rid of the Davis contract -- that is, take on an equally bad one. 

I don't see it happening with Price though. All these teams are so aware of advanced metrics. Davis' advanced metrics are just so bad. I mean, Mitch Moreland was a 2 WAR player for them this year at a salary of $5M. Davis was a negative --WAR player for us at 23M.

I think the Red Sox would immediately hang up the phone. We need to be looking at the Tigers. They want to re-tool. Zimmermann anyone? I don't know... 

Kinda love that trade idea? The O's, as I always say, are not that creative, especially within the division. And Angelos I'm sure doesn't want to see Davis - a guy he wouldn't let get away - hit home runs against us. Against our non-strikeout-inducing pitchers, no less.

But the players fit for both teams, honestly.

I am fairly certain that Chris Davis is wholly untradeable.  There are maybe 4 or 5 contracts in baseball that are worse

Price: 18:$30M, 19:$31M, 20:$32M, 21:$32M, 22:$32M (4 YRS / $157M)

Heyward:18:$21.5M, 19:$20M, 20:$21M, 21:$21M,22:$22M, 23:$22M (6 YRS $127.5M)

Davis:18:$23M, 19:$23M, 20:$23M, 21:$23M, 22:$23M (5 YRS / $115M)

Pujols: 18:$27M, 19:$28M, 20:$29M, 21:$30M (4 YRS / $114M)

Zimmerman:18:$21.5M, 19:$20M, 20:$21M (3 YRS $62.5M)

To a lesser extent I would consider Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton to have  terrible contracts. Not that these guys are gonna be traded to the Orioles for Davis

Cabrera: 18:$30M, 19:$30M, 20:$30M, 21:$30M, 22:$32M, 23:$32M, 24:$30M club option ($8M buyout), 25:$30M club option - (6 YRS $192M at a minimum)

Stanton: 18:$25M, 19:$26M, 20:$26M,21:$29M, 22:$29M, 23:$32M, 24:$32M, 25:$32M, 26:$29M,27:$25M, 28:$25M club option ($10M buyout) (10 YRS - $294M at a minimum)

Before anyone wonders why I included Stanton, I think when he starts declining, that contract is brutal and a complete albatross

I love the Price trade idea. And who knows, the Red Sox might bite because with his struggles and all the back and forth with Eckersley. the Sox might be persuaded to cut ties. I also don't think the Sox view Moreland as a long term option at 1B. He also played on a 1 year deal this season (I believe). 

I'm on the fence about trading for Zimmerman. If we test the free agent market and have trouble signing pitchers maybe it's an option we could explore after. Honestly though the trade doesn't make sense for the Tigers. They clearly want to rebuild and swapping one bad contract for another doesn't really help them. 

Detroit still has Cabrera with $180M left on his deal. They wont trade for Davis nor can they probably afford Davis. Their owner who was free spending also just died. Its likely the next in command will be alot more frugal. The O's are probably stuck with Davis, they should be looking to move Trumbo's more manageable contract instead.

Archived