Tim Kurkjian On Whether Orioles Should Trade Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's had 2 game winning RBI's this season so far. Are you insinuating that its been like a year or more since? His OPS is up to .738, he's coming around a bit. He's 3rd on the team in oWAR and leading the team in WAR. Is he playing like a 30m dollar player? Not right now. Are reports of his demise greatly exaggerated? I think so.

I honestly couldn't remember when the last one was.  I'm not saying he's done, far from it.  He's in a protracted slump.  I'm just saying that it's foolish to give any one player the kind of deal he'll command, unless that player is a once in a lifetime player like Derek Jeter.  That guy seemed to always get the hit or make the play in the field to make his team win.  I'm not saying Manny isn't a fabulous player and talent, but I don't see him being the kind of player Jeter was.  That's all very subjective, of course, and maybe Jeter doesn't have the impact he did if he wasn't surrounded by top tier talent and payroll.  But that goes back to my point about the contract being unsustainable for the O's.  If they sign Manny for 10/300 or more (probably would take more), than they won't have the resources to adequately staff the other 24 spots on the roster.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current core of players have maxed out their potential, in my view. I don't think keeping it together to try to get to 86-88 wins and a second wild card slot is a wise strategy. I'd very happy if the Orioles were able to find the right deal for Machado.

Keep in mind that the Rays traded David Price to the Tigers at the deadline the year before his walk year. One year later, the Tigers traded him to the Blue Jays and got more for him than the Rays did. Trading early does not necessarily mean you're going to get your best deal.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I listened to that interview, and came away with the impression that while that's Olney's opinion, his opinion wasn't based on any inside information.     So I don't give his opinion much weight.  

Absolutely. Someone here will have more info on the Manny trade than Olney will pre-transaction. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Exploring is fine by me.    I'd also like to explore an extension.    

I'd like to lock him up for life, but I'm afraid we'll keep living under the illusion that we can resign him, then lose him, and get nothing for him.  Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Keep in mind that the Rays traded David Price to the Tigers at the deadline the year before his walk year. One year later, the Tigers traded him to the Blue Jays and got more for him than the Rays did. Trading early does not necessarily mean you're going to get your best deal.

Drew Smiley, Willy Adames, and Nick Franklin.

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

The current core of players have maxed out their potential, in my view. I don't think keeping it together to try to get to 86-88 wins and a second wild card slot is a wise strategy. I'd very happy if the Orioles were able to find the right deal for Machado.

The thing about fantasy baseball is you don't have to fill the seats. An 86-88 WC team does that better than a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, esmd said:

I'm just saying that it's foolish to give any one player the kind of deal he'll command, unless that player is a once in a lifetime player like Derek Jeter.  That guy seemed to always get the hit or make the play in the field to make his team win.  I'm not saying Manny isn't a fabulous player and talent, but I don't see him being the kind of player Jeter was. 

I will not neg rep this post.  

i will not neg rep this post..,,,,

Lol....do what you gotta do baby....incidentally, what was it that caused your reaction?  My contention that he isn't the player Jeter was, or just that I praised Jeter?  Or that it's foolish to give any one player the kind of deal he'll command?

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

People should go on record on what packages they'd want in return.

What's realistic?  What will a contender give up?  

It's hard to say, really. Guys of Machado's magnitude and age (that's a lethal combination) don't get traded a lot. I've noted before that Miguel Cabrera, who was traded at a very similar age in his career, netted the Marlins the Tigers' top two prospects at the time (Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller), plus another guy in the Tigers' Top 10, and two more in their overall Top 20.

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

People should go on record on what packages they'd want in return.

What's realistic?  What will a contender give up?  

I want the world and everything in it. Only because of his age, upside and HOF potential if goes nuts like he did last year.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

i will not neg rep this post..,,,,

8 hours ago, esmd said:

Lol....do what you gotta do baby....incidentally, what was it that caused your reaction?  My contention that he isn't the player Jeter was, or just that I praised Jeter?  Or that it's foolish to give any one player the kind of deal he'll command?

First of all, I've never neg repped any post, and if I ever did, it certainly wouldn't be this one.    Mostly, I was just joking.    Jeter was a great player, deserving Hall of Famer and earned his 10 year, $189 mm deal he received before the 2001 season.    But I'm not going to single him out as a "once in a lifetime player" in the way you did.     

It's hard for me to comment on your remark that it's foolish to give any one player the type of deal that Manny will command, until I see what kind of deal he commands.    If he gets 10/$300 mm, I won't think it's foolish at all. If he gets 10/$400 mm, then I will.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I've never neg repped any post, and if I ever did, it certainly wouldn't be this one.    Mostly, I was just joking.    Jeter was a great player, deserving Hall of Famer and earned his 10 year, $189 mm deal he received before the 2001 season.    But I'm not going to single him out as a "once in a lifetime player" in the way you did.     

It's hard for me to comment on your remark that it's foolish to give any one player the type of deal that Manny will command, until I see what kind of deal he commands.    If he gets 10/$300 mm, I won't think it's foolish at all. If he gets 10/$400 mm, then I will.  

I didn't for a second think that was an honest comment.  I figured they were just trying to get a reaction.  Even the Yankee fans I know don't hold Jeter in THAT high a regard.

Wouldn't it be smartest to trade Manny today, and re-sign him in 2019?

We get a haul now

We have a serious losing season in 2018, getting a top 5 draft pick

We combine the haul with Manny in 2019 and get ready for a new window of competiveness.

Archived