Do We Sell?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are within 5 games of the wild card, they aren't going to sell.   That being said, I just don't see this team competing with the inconsistency of the starting pitching, the lack of defense, and the offense being as sporadic as it's been.  

My opinion is that we should sell, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to take advantage of it due to many guys you could trade either under-performing or being hurt.

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Does anyone think we will be selling come the deadline? If so, who would you keep and who would you try to get rid of?

If you are selling, you do it in advance of the deadline before the market gets flooded with those that are doing the same.

If you are a seller you also need to figure if it is a full blown sell off or just a salary/free agent to be move.

Any player that is to become a free agent at the end of this season would be in play if a partial sell off.  If a "Full Blown" rebuild, everyone that does not have a minimum of three years of control after this season gets placed on the market. IMO.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed.     As for the OP, we should try to move   Machado, Britton, O'Day, Davis, Trumbo, Castillo, Miley, Brach, and just about anyone who will bring anything back.

We should be willing to move anyone, including Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Givens, Mancini, etc. for the right price.

Agree on this.   Our minor league system outside of a handful of guys is pretty awful.   This team doesn't spend on big free agents (outside of Davis), so we need a huge influx of young talent.   The key is making sure we get the right guys.

34 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It's two years late on the selling but, yeah, everyone is for sale for the right price.

I don't agree at all that it's two years too late.   

We'll see by late next month if it's time to sell.    One thing to keep in mind, we have an extremely easy schedule from late July to early September, unlike 2015 when we had the opposite situation.    

I think by the end of June that decision needs to be made. If we sell it needs to be a complete rebuild IMO. 

There are a lot of assets on the ML roster that could help speed up a rebuild, but the front office has to be willing to make the moves. Trading Machado, Britton, Castillo, Miley, Jones and Brach could rebuild the farm system pretty quickly, and Trumbo's contract isn't that bad if we could find someone that needs a DH. I'd love to move Davis and his contract but I don't think it would be very easy although with him able to play 1B pretty well he's not limited to AL teams like Trumbo.

I'd like to keep Machado long term, but don't think were going to pay him what he's going to be asking for. I'd probably keep Schoop, Mancini, Bundy, Gausman and Givens to build around or at least to have some sort of talent left on the roster.

I posted in another thread last night that the starting pitching is too inconsistent for us to contend. We need to sell. It's unfortunate that our two most valuable assets (Machado and Britton) aren't worth as much as they were this time a year ago. As others have pointed out, we have a ton of assets we could move and we could completely revamp for farm system with trades.

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed.     As for the OP, we should try to move   Machado, Britton, O'Day, Davis, Trumbo, Castillo, Miley, Brach, and just about anyone who will bring anything back.

We should be willing to move anyone, including Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Givens, Mancini, etc. for the right price.

I would move anyone not named Schoop or Mancini. You have to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

If we are within 5 games of the wild card, they aren't going to sell.   That being said, I just don't see this team competing with the inconsistency of the starting pitching, the lack of defense, and the offense being as sporadic as it's been.  

My opinion is that we should sell, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to take advantage of it due to many guys you could trade either under-performing or being hurt.

Can't make long term decisions based on chance to play 1 game to get in real playoffs.

If the team isn't good enough to be in division hunt, then it's probably not good enough to win WS, and it's time to sell.

Also, while I am in favor of selling this year, I did not feel this way in previous years. In 2013 and 2015 we still had a great bullpen and ok starting pitching. This year we simply don't. Can someone explain to me a scenario where we have a decent bullpen and starting pitching the rest of the year without giving up the farm? 

Just now, pwhite said:

Also, while I am in favor of selling this year, I did not feel this way in previous years. In 2013 and 2015 we still had a great bullpen and ok starting pitching. This year we simply don't. Can someone explain to me a scenario where we have a decent bullpen and starting pitching the rest of the year without giving up the farm? 

The RNG the baseball gods use comes up a natural 20 six times in a row.

Archived