2017 2nd round Comp Balance pick (74): Zac Lowther - LHP - Xavier

Recently a lot of guys seem to have added a good bit of velocity in their mid 20s, Robbie Ray throwing 98mph now, if this guy threw 94-95 he'd be a first round pick. The lefty they (Washington) sent to Pitt is throwing 102mph. I wouldn't think it's out of the question that this guy can get to 95, but his movement where he sits is nasty, I'd like to know his spin rate comparison with the first round guys. He also seems to have a couple breaking pitches, but it could just be a lack of consistency rather than seeking different outcomes with the pitch. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, xian4 said:

Was hoping we'd get him to sign for underslot; doesn't have the profile that seems to have much leverage (college pitcher with mediocre velocity).  Oh well, seems all the savings from rounds 6-10 will go to DL and we probably won't be able to sign any of the HS overslots we took later.

14 minutes ago, Otter said:

Was hoping we'd get him to sign for underslot; doesn't have the profile that seems to have much leverage (college pitcher with mediocre velocity).  Oh well, seems all the savings from rounds 6-10 will go to DL and we probably won't be able to sign any of the HS overslots we took later.

I am certain that was always the case. And that those two picks were to keep Boras semi-honest. 

Archived