Rosenthal: Orioles Uequivocally Plan to be Buyers

Can_of_corn

It's funny. Angelos is well-known for his political contributions to Democrats but the Orioles have consistently been one of the least progressive and most conservative organizations in baseball over his tenure as the majority owner. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We'd be really stupid (really DD) if we weren't talking with the Nationals about moving Givens, Brach, and/or Britton

But what are we going to get back? We all know what we need, and I'm not sure how what starters we can pry away from the Nats.

Keep Givens, by the way, unless someone really, really wants him and makes an offer that shouldn't be refused.

7 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Could totally see us trading for RA Dickey and acting like we fixed our pitching problems.

As long as we don't give up much of anything, it could be worse. That would essentially be standing pat and I can live with that.

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

As long as we don't give up much of anything, it could be worse. That would essentially be standing pat and I can live with that.

He's making 7.5 million.  Do you think the O's can absorb that into the budget without making further moves?

This team needs to trade away pieces for pitching that figures to develop into good rotational pieces.  It's not there in the minors right now.  And it's what will keep the organization from winning.  Right now a group of 4/5 starters with Bundy able to pitch like a 3 sometimes (and he needs a made up injury to rest himself a few weeks now) and Tillman no longer the upper end pitcher we had for a few years won't come close to working.

The window is shut.  It's time to admit it.  Deal bullpen arms to DC.  Deal Schoop to someone who could use a 2b.  Deal nearly everyone you can to rebuild.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

But what are we going to get back? We all know what we need, and I'm not sure how what starters we can pry away from the Nats.

Keep Givens, by the way, unless someone really, really wants him and makes an offer that shouldn't be refused.

Soon we will need a short stop, a third baseman, and probably a catcher and maybe a corner outfielder. It would be great if the O's scored a great young starting pitcher or two or three, but the club does and will have other needs. 

16 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It's funny. Angelos is well-known for his political contributions to Democrats but the Orioles have consistently been one of the least progressive and most conservative organizations in baseball over his tenure as the majority owner. 

I don't think political philosophy really correlates with one's style of making business decisions.     

12 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would only be dealing if we are looking to acquire high end pitching prospects who are only 1-1.5 years away from being TOR types. I would put Machado and Schoop on the table in that scenario. I don't see anyone else in this organization getting TOR prospects.

Jake Westbrook got the guy we just faced last night in Cory Kluber.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's making 7.5 million.  Do you think the O's can absorb that into the budget without making further moves?

Also Dickey has a 4.91 ERA pitching in the NL this year, bring him to the AL East and that number goes up.  No thanks, would rather see what Ubaldo does at this point.  

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

IF done rightly, we could retool quickly. Something like 60 mm off the books after this year. If you can't resign Manny you get the best deal for him and Zach in offseason. That could free up almost 90 mm. Get two very good starting pitchers and an infielder who can hit and make a run. Instead they will surely screw it up and then way overpay Adam because he is such a "good guy."  The reality is that the Yanks (apparently have arrived a year earlier than I thought) and Red Sox will dominate the east for the next 3-4 years.

It does not work that way. It takes multiple seasons of badness to retool.  Or tons of money to throw at the problem. 

12 minutes ago, weams said:

It does not work that way. It takes multiple seasons of badness to retool.  Or tons of money to throw at the problem. 

And even then, it doesn't always work. You need a combination of luck and skill to build a winning team with young, unproven players.

Archived