Should the O's spend 1m on Doug Fister?

wildcard

By claiming him on release waivers, Boston is taking on the prorated part of Fister's existing contract (about $1.7 M).

Had Boston not claimed Fister, he would have been a free agent, and the O's or Red Sox or anyone else could have bid on his services, which might have been worth more or less (probably less) than $1.7 M for the rest of this season on an open market.

The way I see it, Boston was willing to pay a little extra to make sure that they got Fister.  (I think the Orioles could have done the same but didn't--I think release waiver claims are prioritized in reverse order according to current standings, so the O's would have been ahead of the Red Sox in line).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Don't think so.  His contract status is a lot like Bourn's was with the O's.

Signed to a minor league contract with the agreement that if he made the majors he would make a major league salary.  He was put on released waivers from AAA which means he never made it to the majors;

He was put on minor league waivers.  Boston claimed him so they can agree to send him to AAA if his contract allows or they can add him to the major league roster.

That is the way I understand it.

He IS on the 25 man roster. 

18 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

By claiming him on release waivers, Boston is taking on the prorated part of Fister's existing contract (about $1.7 M).

Had Boston not claimed Fister, he would have been a free agent, and the O's or Red Sox or anyone else could have bid on his services, which might have been worth more or less (probably less) than $1.7 M for the rest of this season on an open market.

The way I see it, Boston was willing to pay a little extra to make sure that they got Fister.  (I think the Orioles could have done the same but didn't--I think release waiver claims are prioritized in reverse order according to current standings, so the O's would have been ahead of the Red Sox in line).

Certainly. 

Fister wills tart Sunday vs the Angels, the team that just released him.

Red Sox also signed Jhonny Peralta to a minor league contract.

Tigers cut K-Rod.   I wonder if Boston will add him to their collection of washed up former stars?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived