Move Manny to SS

wildcard

29 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

No, I don't. I'm not sure why you think they could, either.

Dosch has a career .729 OPS in the minors. I know he hit well in a nine-game sample size at Bowie this year, but let's see him hit a little better at Norfolk before we start talking about moving Manny Machado for him. And Wilkerson? His career OPS in the minors is .705. Again, he's hitting well this year, but he only has 35 games above Single-A ball.

Tejada and Janish aren't good hitters, either, but I think Tejada has just as good a chance to put up a .700 OPS as Dosch or Wilkerson do. And Janish is the best defender of the bunch.

You'll also have to explain to me how moving Machado from 3B to SS could improve his OPS by 150 points. One has nothing to do with the other.

Well the O's can keep doing what they are doing with Manny at 3B.   But it has not worked for half a season.   Change is some that is done to try to get better performance.  Manny has long wanted to be a SS.   Maybe the position move changes his mind set.  Insanity is keep doing what your doing and expecting change.   Make a change.   We are far enough in the season to know that what is happening is not helping Manny play to his capability.  Maybe the change just gets him started and then he is moved back.

I said the OP that Dosch in hitting for an 804 OPS away from Harbor Park.   That makes me think he might be able to hit for a 700 OPS in the majors.   Wilkerson has a decent history of having a good OBP:

2015, 376 OBP at Delmarva

2016. ,334 OBP at Frederick

2017 .397 OBP at Frederick and Bowie

The O's could use a good OBP guy and that could lead to a 700+ OPS.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well the O's can keep doing what they are doing with Manny at 3B.   But it has not worked for half a season.   Change is some that is done to try to get better performance.  Manny has long wanted to be a SS.   Maybe the position move changes his mind set.  Insanity is keep doing what your doing and expecting change.   Make a change.   We are far enough in the season to know that what is happening is not helping Manny play to his capability.  Maybe the change just gets him started and then he is moved back.

Very strange comment to make about a guy who has put up MVP caliber seasons the last two years while playing 3B. Keeping him at 3B is "insanity" now?

If you want to improve his offense, maybe -- just maybe -- the key is for him to make some offensive adjustments (and I'm sure he's trying to). This theory that moving him to SS will magically improve his offense doesn't really seem supported by anything.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But we don't have  league average SP and that is hard to change.   TOR starter are near impossible for the O's ro acquire in season.   They might add another 5th starter at the deadline.    But improving the offense might be possible.  

I doubt you are improving overall offense by moving Manny to SS. Why not just trade for SS at the deadline if SS upsets you so.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

I prefer Manny to hit for a 876  OPS like last year.  How do you propose to get him there?

If Manny and Trumbo were hitting like they did  last year the O's would be scoring 5 runs a game and there would be less pressure on the pitching and defense.   I don't know what to do with Trumbo but a move of Manny might shake  things up.

Unfortunately Trumbo has a history of a pretty significant DH penalty. That's held true again this year, where he has a .840 OPS in the outfield and a .664 as a DH. To get him hitting you may have to move him to the field, but then you also usually bleed enough runs with him plodding around the outfield that you negate his offensive contributions. 

It's almost like Mark Trumbo isn't very good and giving him significant money for this role wasn't a great idea.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Unfortunately Trumbo has a history of a pretty significant DH penalty. That's held true again this year, where he has a .840 OPS in the outfield and a .664 as a DH. To get him hitting you may have to move him to the field, but then you also usually bleed enough runs with him plodding around the outfield that you negate his offensive contributions. 

It's almost like Mark Trumbo isn't very good and giving him significant money for this role wasn't a great idea.

No reason he shouldn't be playing at first while Davis is out.  He's not a liability there.

Not that I wanted him back at all but I still say something in the 2/22 range would have been enough.  Not like they were in a bidding war.

17 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Very strange comment to make about a guy who has put up MVP caliber seasons the last two years while playing 3B. Keeping him at 3B is "insanity" now?

If you want to improve his offense, maybe -- just maybe -- the key is for him to make some offensive adjustments (and I'm sure he's trying to). This theory that moving him to SS will magically improve his offense doesn't really seem supported by anything.

I think that it would also be borderline insanity to move assets ( limited ones at that) to acquire a third baseman to help facilitate this move. IMO, the Orioles would be better off playing Janish/Tejada at third if they wanted to use Machado at short. Further, the Orioles have moved Machado to short in the past when Hardy has been out with an injury. The difference at this point is that Flaherty, whom played third in the past, is also on the DL. Like others, I don't see where the position  switch would benefit Machado offensively. I would rather see Machado dropped in the lineup ( six hole) while he is scuffling. I think taking some pressure off of him would be a better approach than having the best defensive third baseman play short until Hardy comes back.

18 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I agree. He also has gotten a bit bigger. I think his shortstop dream is way behind him now. Just a real poor season like Harper had last year. 

22 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You can move Manny to any position you want, it's not going to change the fact that this team isn't going any where with this SP. I'm ready to move him to BOS.

I'd see what the yankees would give up too.

11 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd see what the yankees would give up too.

Two of the MFY 's top 10 are injured and their best SP is #5. BOS top prospect is a 3B and their #2 is a LHSP, they also have SS at #5 and several other SP intheir to 10.

9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Two of the MFY 's top 10 are injured and their best SP is #5. BOS top prospect is a 3B and their #2 is a LHSP, they also have SS at #5 and several other SP intheir to 10.

I can't see the Red Sox or Yankees giving up anything for Manny now.  He's been too terrible.  I suspect other teams are starting to see Manny possibly as damaged goods.

11 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I can't see the Red Sox or Yankees giving up anything for Manny now.  He's been too terrible.  I suspect other teams are starting to see Manny possibly as damaged goods.

You'd be selling low on Manny at this point. If the O's really want to move him to SS, I'd get Mike Moustakis. 

Archived