Move Manny to SS

wildcard

Sometimes a change can spark a player or a team.   We are almost at the halfway point and Manny has a 718 OPS.  That is a good 150 points below where he should be.  Maybe more.  

The SS candidates:

Hardy has a 556 OPS and is on the DL

Flaherty has a 590 OPS and is on the DL.

Tejada has a 458 OPS 

Janish has a 243 OPS.

Meanwhile  two minor leaguers 3B  are:

Dosch has a 804 OPS away from Harbor Park at AAA (Remember: Mancini has a 722 OPS at Harbor Park and a 828 OPS away last year.)

Wilkerson is hitting 317/385/458/844 at AA.

I don't think that promoting one of them to play 3B will hurt the offense.

Making a change with Manny might just shake things up enough to get him playing like we know he can.

What do the O's have to lose?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sometimes a change can spark a player or a team.   We are almost at the halfway point and Manny has a 718 OPS.  The is a good 150 points below where he should be.  Maybe more.  

The SS candidates:

Tejada has a 458 OPS 

Janish has a 243 OPS.

Dosch has a 804 OPS away from Harbor Park at AAA (Remember: Mancini has a 722 OPS at Harbor Park and a 828 OPS away last year.)

I don't think the promoting one of them to play 3B will hurt the offense.

Making a change with Manny might just shake things up enough to getting him playing like we know he can.

In what world is Mancini a 3B? I'd move Manny to the bench for a while,

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would ask you to understand what is written or please not post misleading information.

Ok but it's still a silly idea. Can either of these two play 3B nearly as well as Manny. I doubt they hit any better even with his poor numbers. And Manny will not be as good SS as he is a 3B.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sometimes a change can spark a player or a team.   We are almost at the halfway point and Manny has a 718 OPS.  That is a good 150 points below where he should be.  Maybe more.  

The SS candidates:

Tejada has a 458 OPS 

Janish has a 243 OPS.

Making a change with Manny might just shake things up enough to get him playing like we know he can.

Sorry but I perfer to keep Manny at 3rd.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The SS candidates:

Tejada has a 458 OPS 

Janish has a 243 OPS.

I don't think changing Manny's defensive position will improve his bat. And I don't see why you would shift him off the position he's played for more than 90% of his major league career when you don't have a legitimate option to replace him (with all due respect to Drew Dosch and Steve Wilkerson).

If the Orioles had a legitimate prospect ready to play 3B, or if they acquired a 3B in a trade (like Maikel Franco), then sure, move Manny to SS. But there's no point in doing it for the likes of Dosch or Wilkerson.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I perfer to keep Manny at 3rd.

I prefer Manny to hit for a 876  OPS like last year.  How do you propose to get him there?

If Manny and Trumbo were hitting like they did  last year the O's would be scoring 5 runs a game and there would be less pressure on the pitching and defense.   I don't know what to do with Trumbo but a move of Manny might shake  things up.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We would be making ourselves worse defensively at both positions for maybe possibly a marginal gain at 3B. Plus 40-man move. Don't see it happening unless we get truly desperate. 

DFA Tejada or Janish.  Both would probably make it through waivers.

Archived