The O's have plenty to trade

wildcard

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And they have had less postseason success than we have.

Yes, but I think that's beside the point concerning what birdwatcher55 was getting at.    And to be fair, the Nats look like they'll continue to be legit contenders over the next several years, so they'll get some more shots at postseason success, while we may not have any for a while.    

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who says that Angelos will not spend on Machado and/or Britton is talking out of their backside.

The resigning of Davis and Trumbo indicates the willingness to spend money.

I don't think its a certainty, but I do think we have a chance. I don't think Manny has performed like a 30 million dollar player this year, and I would be hesitant to give Manny that type of dough.

I agree that we should decide soon on a path and trading the veterans on this team would be the right move.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't think Manny has performed like a 30 million dollar player this year, and I would be hesitant to give Manny that type of dough.

It's precisely because Manny is having a down year that I think we should try to sign him now.     There's risk involved, but the price should be lower than it was last offseason.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's precisely because Manny is having a down year that I think we should try to sign him now.     There's risk involved, but the price should be lower than it was last offseason.   

Do you think it's really lower?  Wouldn't his agent just point to Harper and show that he can bounce back before FA?

Even with Manny's value down I'd still trade him rather then resign him. With long term money already going to Davis I'd rather not see the team turn into the Phillies where they have tons of money invested in a few players. Rather dump Trumbo's contract and trade Manny, giving the team payroll flexibility along with an influx of young talent.

The Davis contract does indicate a willingness to spend, but $160 million is a lot different than the $300 million or more Manny will probably be looking for. Even though he is having a down year I don't see Manny signing a contract extension, I think he is content playing out 2018 and hitting free agency.

Thats where Duquette and the front office need to be proactive and make a decision. Are they ok letting him play out the contract and walk for a comp pick, or is there a real effort being made to lock him up long term. IMO letting him play out the contract is bad for the future of the franchise, we can't afford to just let him walk.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Since we have a few guys leaving for FA this season, can we get anything for them?

Kim?

Castillo?

Better a middling prospect than nothing.

Lower minors lottery tickets.  I'll take those all day for pending free agents with minimal value. 

43 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Lower minors lottery tickets.  I'll take those all day for pending free agents with minimal value. 

Might be able to get some older prospects who are blocked at the MLB level for awhile.

7 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Maybe you get your wish. He handed $26 mil to Davis. That will be a lot of coin for two players.

It was a good sign, but honestly he might have signed the wrong player to a megadeal. I just want the O's to keep Britton, Machado and Schoop here as long as we can

Archived