Manny

brooksfrankjim

It's very interesting reading all of the comments. As a life long tar heel fan, I'm familiar with fans overvalueing players. Manny's approach at the plate is horrendous. I can't believe he hasn't adjusted. It's as if he is trying to become Chris Davis. Not a good idea. It seems clear that he doesn't want to be an Oriole longterm. It's time to begin entertaining offers from any team. I don't see him as a superstar. Good player but not great. Let another team over pay for him. 2 SP nearly ready to go would be a fair exchange.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Manny does not want to be here. Maybe like Harper from lat year, he is a little banged up. Maybe he got too big and has trouble turning on the ball. Maybe homer happy. Maybe a little of everything. As for his hustle, Manny has never really hustled. Many really good players  also have not. David Ortiz barely made it halfway up the first base line on a grounder to short. I wish he would hustle more but many players don't exactly hustle out of the box.

12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

You quoted my post with his August OPS. ???

I had a bit of time and I checked Manny' OPS month by month going back to July 2016.

July 2016   .625

Aug  2016  .936

Sept 2016  .671

Apr   2017  .767

May  2017  .629

Jun   2017  .759

July  2017  .600  although I understand it's very early yet

This averages out to an OPS of .731 for the past six months.

As I stated earlier, nothing special going on with the bat over the last six months.

Can it change?   Certainly.

Again, I am leaning toward moving him for the right package of players if the opportunity presents itself.

6 hours ago, survivedc said:

Is reacting to 6 months of sub-par play fickle? 

Yes, although I do not see where this should be looked at in a negative light. ( Most fans are fickle .)

I think that most fans have given Machado the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his slump.

The fact that he has brought more focus on him by his approach on the field ( lack of hustle, indifferent play at times,       etc.) has only highlighted his and to a certain degree the team's shortcomings. 

While it is not Manny's fault that the team is struggling, IMO his slump and approach to the game will incur the wrath of      the fans at some point in the second half of the season. ( Particularly if the team fades.) 

I think most fans are turned off more by Mannys' approach to the game than his shortcomings at the plate.

Can't blame everything on Manny. Sloppy play all year. Missed cut off men. Throws to the wrong base. Rundowns are adventures. Infielders just flinging the ball to first with no chance to get the runner. The Orioles have not played good fundamentals all year. Even when they were winning were still sloppy. Twice this week the catchers forgot how many outs there were. Caleb in Milwaukee. Castillo yesterday on a steal. That is not having your head in the game. Also have seen Castillo get sloppy at times on his catching.Balls flying right by him. seems to get frustrated with the pitching and loses focus.

1 hour ago, Superbee83 said:

I think most fans are turned off more by Mannys' approach to the game than his shortcomings at the plate.

And to me, the "approach to the game" criticisms are largely a crock.    I'm not saying Manny's perfect, but to me he gets singled out for that kind of criticism way too much.

8 hours ago, survivedc said:

Is reacting to 6 months of sub-par play fickle? 

Sure is, after a few years of MVP caliber play.  Acting like this is how he's going to play moving forward is a dumb assumption.  

People on here should be smart enough to know that players have bad seasons.  It happens.  I don't like how Manny is swinging any more than the rest of you guys.  

I'll say it again, how many of you guys that were old enough were calling for Ripken to be dealt during '90?  Or '92? Remember how terrible he was after the 1991 season?  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And to me, the "approach to the game" criticisms are largely a crock.    I'm not saying Manny's perfect, but to me he gets singled out for that kind of criticism way too much.

I'd just like to see him sprint to first one time... just one time Frobby... too much to ask for?

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disagree, the only person on MASN whom singles out Machado for not hustling is Palmer. Hunter gushes over  Machado if he draws a walk. I have heard Ross Grimsley mention Manny's lack of hustle at times on the radio as well. Further, I don't see where pointing out Machado's lack of hustle  is a "crock." He has earned the negative attention for a while now. It is enhanced because the team is struggling so badly. 

Archived