On the road, out of division

glenn__davis

As far as I can tell after a quick check, the O's are 4-16 on the road against non AL-East teams.

Our only series win was taking 2 of 3 from Cincinnati.

I don't really think this means much of anything to be honest, other than we really stink on the road, which we already knew.  Just thought it was an interesting observation.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We've shown little heart against these teams. Pretty boring to watch. 

O's have now trailed by at least 3 runs at some point in 24 of their last 31 games (including 13 in a row at one point, and in all three games in Milwaukee).  The hitters don't score runs early and the starting pitchers give up a lot of runs early, so they fall behind big practically every game.  It gets demoralizing for the fans, and I'm sure it's demoralizing for the players too--ho hum, we're down big again, game over.  

Beyond just ranting, I did notice that the WaPo's baseball writer recently suggested that the O's have done a very poor job hitting against unfamiliar pitchers this year.  That would explain why they play better against the AL East than against teams outside the division.   I wonder if this is a symptom of poor advance scouting on the O's part.  

Everybody can analyze the Orioles and find plenty of reasons why we're on a bad "streak". People want to somehow put a positive spin on it. The truth is, this team isn't very good. No clutch hitting, horrendous starting pitching, little team speed, etc...

Offensively, it's feast or famine and recently mostly famine. I've been an O's fan since the early 60's and this motley crew gives me less optimism than almost any team we've had. I have the feeling it's only going to get worse. I can't even watch them right now.

If you can't get on base, you can't score runs.

Scouting and analyzing aren't going to magically change what we've known all along.

We are finally seeing the regression that was expected.

We have no leadoff hitter and Manny batting in the two hole is KILLING us. 

It's pretty simple. This team is built to play in a bandbox ballpark. They can simply out-slug teams at home and their terrible outfield defense isn't as much of a factor. On the road, it's an entirely different story. It's amazing how many extra bases the Brewers took during the series because the Orioles outfielders were snail slow in getting to the ball.

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Beyond just ranting, I did notice that the WaPo's baseball writer recently suggested that the O's have done a very poor job hitting against unfamiliar pitchers this year.  That would explain why they play better against the AL East than against teams outside the division.   I wonder if this is a symptom of poor advance scouting on the O's part.  

We have no plan at the plate. Guess we need experience to know what pitches to guess on. Only reason we aren't 15 games under is Buck. 

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

That's been the story with this team for years. The advanced scouting in this organization is a joke.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:13 AM, glenn__davis said:

As far as I can tell after a quick check, the O's are 4-16 on the road against non AL-East teams.

Our only series win was taking 2 of 3 from Cincinnati.

I don't really think this means much of anything to be honest, other than we really stink on the road, which we already knew.  Just thought it was an interesting observation.

Funny how the lower teams give the O's fits. To me the O's should have won two of three from the Brewers. 

9 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

If you can't get on base, you can't score runs.

Scouting and analyzing aren't going to magically change what we've known all along.

We are finally seeing the regression that was expected.

We have no leadoff hitter and Manny batting in the two hole is KILLING us. 

Wonder if Kim could bat leadoff?

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

That's been the story with this team for years. The advanced scouting in this organization is a joke.

I know folks disagree with me but I think advanced scouting was the difference maker in the playoffs against the Royals.  They had a much better approach and defensive positioning.

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Funny how the lower teams give the O's fits. To me the O's should have won two of three from the Brewers. 

Huh? Maybe you could make a case for yesterday, but they had a large deficit in each of the first two. And yesterday they choked on every opportunity.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know folks disagree with me but I think advanced scouting was the difference maker in the playoffs against the Royals.  They had a much better approach and defensive positioning.

Maybe. They were also red hot, and the backend of their bullpen was unlike anything the O's had seen up to that point... in no small part because the O's bullpen was the only one nearly as good. Until that series, anyway.

As any fan of this team knows, the other big part was that the O's weren't hitting home runs. Two in the series. And when the O's don't hit home runs...

7 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It's pretty simple. This team is built to play in a bandbox ballpark. They can simply out-slug teams at home and their terrible outfield defense isn't as much of a factor. On the road, it's an entirely different story. It's amazing how many extra bases the Brewers took during the series because the Orioles outfielders were snail slow in getting to the ball.

Good point about our outfield defense. Overall, it just not very good.

Back in the day, Earl Weaver used to love good team pitching and three run homers. And that's not a bad formula for success. Showalter's current team has the home run hitters but not the pitching. These days, the Orioles seem to need two or more 3 run home runs just to catch up to all the runs our pitchers give up. Weaver had pitchers named Cuellar and McNally and Palmer and Flanagan. Now we have guys named Asher and Ubaldo and Miley.

This team gives me very little optimism moving forward. If we become buyers at the deadline, I may become a Nationals fan. OK, I'm kidding but man this has been so painful to watch this team fall apart.

Archived