Former Orioles Executive Kevin Malone: Orioles Should 'Go For It,' Keep Top Players

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense to Kevin,  but it's sounds like there is a reason he's been out of baseball so long. Seems to contradict himself by saying the team should retool and go for it. Retool with what? He doesn't address the very real starting pitching problem by extending Machado and Britton, nor does it address the lack of shortstop or infield prospects in the system to retool. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

No offense to Kevin,  but it's sounds like there is a reason he's been out of baseball so long. Seems to contradict himself by saying the team should retool and go for it. Retool with what? He doesn't address the very real starting pitching problem by extending Machado and Britton, nor does it address the lack of shortstop or infield prospects in the system to retool. 

Didn't need to click on the link... and didn't really need to post in this thread either.  Oh well.  ^_^

It may be pretty elementary.   The O's 17 games left before the deadline.   The last two months they have been playing at a .357 pace - 20-36.   If they continue at that pace they will go 6-11.   That probably drops them out of the wild card race before the deadline.  

So Britton and Davis coming back has to improve their performance over those 17 games.   Problem is neither is a starting pitcher.   

I agree with Malone that as  long as there is a chance to be a contending team for the last wild card spot the O's have to go for it.   But the team has to play better or the season will be over before the deadline.

3 hours ago, PressBoxOnline said:

With the MLB non-waiver trade deadline approaching, former assistant GM Kevin Malone shares the advice he'd give the Orioles: "I'd say you reload and you come back out and you go for it."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/07/12/former-orioles-executive-kevin-malone-orioles-should-go-for-it-keep-top-players

I don't want the O's to lose and I can't be against them. But that's foolish talk. The O's are not a good team. IMO 

19 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't want the O's to lose and I can't be against them. But that's foolish talk. The O's are not a good team. IMO 

The O's are a better team than the have been playing recently. Lets see what they do in the next 17.

11 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Well Chris Davis just went 0-4 in a low A game, so he should be contributing shortly.  I swear dude is like a Jaguar, if you tune it up and tune it up you get some awesome performance out of it, but most of the time you just want to leave it in the garage.

He's not ready until he has at least two strikeouts looking.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not ready until he has at least two strikeouts looking.

Davis is the only player who can have batting practice without swinging at pitches.  He can just practice standing next to home plate.  Does he have an arthritic shoulder that is aggravated by swinging a bat?

Archived