It's Time To Take Advantage Of Somebody

Camden_yardbird

In the NBA, the Boston Celtics just signed Gordon Hayward.  (Stick with me here).  In order to fit Hayward on to the team they needed to move some salary.  So here comes Stan Van Gundy with a league average power forward and a second round pick.  "I'll fix your problem, just give me Avery Bradely (not a household name but to the sabermatricians of the NBA a player know to 've an efficiency monster).  Stan walks away with a fantastic building piece and gives the Celtics next to nothing for it.

This opportunity exists in MLB right now in a few different places.  It's not about being buyers or sellers, it's about finding opportunity, under valued assets and building a winner.  So where does this exist in MLB.

The Cubs just made a big move.  The other two big contenders in the NL are going to get that reflexive urge to counter punch.

Washington: Needs a closer badly.

Dodgers:  Want a lefty reliever, and doesn't want that player going to Washington.  Then by extension Arizona and Colorado as they try to keep up in the division.

Brewers:  Teams that are competing a year early are always a great target.  They have a lot of good prospects and a need to show their fan base that they are committed.

Then we have the Marlins, trying to shed salary for the sale of the team.  You already see teams circling trying to take on players who the Marlins don't want to keep for salary issues.

Yankees/ Red Sox:  We know as much as these teams say they are taking a measured approach that they hate each other and will make moves when the other does.

More of these teams will emerge and the Orioles need to make some statement moves in the next month and in a year that looks like a lot cause position themselves for future success.

Archived