Would Anyone Take Trumbo

Bahama O's Fan

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

He has a 99 wRC+ and is below replacement level. He's also on the hook for ~30M. You're not getting anything of value for Trumbo and you probably have to kick in money just to be rid of him. No one wanted to pay him this much when he was available for just money. He's lowered his value since.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

This exactly. No one else wanted him at this price last year just for money and now that he's having what is basically a league average year at the plate I can't imagine that has helped the case. He's owed 26M over the next two years and another 4.5M in differed money. If you ate probably 8-10 million you'd probably get some takers and a relief prospect back.

BB-ref has him at 1.0 rWAR,  fangraphs has him at 0.2 fWAR, so where do you get that he's below replacement value?    I'm not sure we'd find a taker without eating a few million dollars, but he might have some value.     Personally, I like him, and think he'll have a solid second half.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Plenty of teams, especially AL teams, would happily take Trumbo. 

I don't know about "plenty". There aren't that many contenders left, and most of them already have DH covered. 

Tampa - Dickerson

NYY - Holliday

BOS - Hanley

HOU - Beltran

TEX - Choo/Napoli

CLE - Encarnacion

We are pretty much looking at the Twins, Royals, and Mariners.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know about "plenty". There aren't that many contenders left, and most of them already have DH covered. 

Tampa - Dickerson

NYY - Holliday

BOS - Hanley

HOU - Beltran

TEX - Choo/Napoli

CLE - Encarnacion

We are pretty much looking at the Twins, Royals, and Mariners.

What about a 1B? Like NYY?

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Yanks needs a first baseman bad and that place would be the plac e and KC needs a DH both getting nothing there.

They just acquired Garrett Cooper from the Brewers this week who's been at their AAA club. By most accounts he's ML ready.

20 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What about a 1B? Like NYY?

NY is pretty desperate for a first baseman. Yesterday and today, they started Garrett Cooper, a career MiLer they just got from the Brewers. He was 0 for 4 last night (3Ks) and is 0 for 1 today.

NY wants a rental (or cheap fill-in) since they think Greg Bird, out with an injury, is their future first baseman. But the Bird injury seems to be getting complicated, and Cashman is getting defensive about failure to fill the 1B hole.  http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/brian-cashman-funny-quote-yankees/380446

So it may become a possibility, but I doubt he'd bring anything beyond salary relief. 

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

They just acquired Garrett Cooper from the Brewers this week who's been at their AAA club. By most accounts he's ML ready.

They are not counting on a 27 year old minor leaguer with no major league experience down the stretch.  That is a move Dan makes and everyone blasts him for dumpster diving.  They tried another career minor leaguer last week.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

BB-ref has him at 1.0 rWAR,  fangraphs has him at 0.2 fWAR, so where do you get that he's below replacement value?    I'm not sure we'd find a taker without eating a few million dollars, but he might have some value.     Personally, I like him, and think he'll have a solid second half.

That's my mistake. I was looking at fangraphs and saw negative baserunning, negative offense, and negative defense, missed it was somehow a positive WAR.

Point still stands. Trumbo was coming off basically a career year and no one wanted to pay him what the Orioles did. He has lowered his value since then by not playing very well so far. If he is moved it will be a salary dump only.

Correct me if I'm wrong but looking at baseball reference Trumbo has been worth 1 win. At 9 Million dollars per win Trumbo is not quite worth his value. But is it really as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be?

Archived