Teams that could/should be interested in Britton

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Black Bat said:

They are overloaded at OF so I'm not sure why they are holding on to Verdugo like grim death.  Perhaps they've been keeping him for the Britton trade...who knows?  He's not going to see playing time on the Dodgers.  That said, our best positional prospects are outfielders as I very much think Hays and Mullins will be Orioles in our future.  And Mountcastle needs a position (could he play 2B, could Schoop then play SS?) - he will be a MLB hitter.  Is Verdugo someone we need?  Lot of questions.

Verdugo isn't my top target.  I was responding to the comment that the poster thought the Orioles were the team that asked about Vedugo and were told no by the Dodgers.  As I said, I'm pretty sure that the Padres were the team MLBTR was talking about.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Olney says that Washington reached out to Baltimore regarding Britton, but we didn't engage.  Hope that's not true.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/relief-market-notes-neshek-nats-os-reed-rox.html?fv-home=true&post-id=97413

It sounds extremely likely that it's true, knowing what we know. We would much sooner trade within the division, and in fact have several times over the last few years, than trade with Washington. It's dumb, but it's a reality. 

Just now, interloper said:

It sounds extremely likely that it's true, knowing what we know. We would much sooner trade within the division, and in fact have several times over the last few years, than trade with Washington. It's dumb, but it's a reality. 

It's dumb not to engage them even if you have no intention of dealing with them.  You drive up LA's bid.

Just now, backwardsk said:

It's dumb not to engage them even if you have no intention of dealing with them.  You drive up LA's bid.

This is a team that could not manage to submit a draft pick signing until 5 minutes after the deadline.

We did not engage them before they made the deal with the A's and Olney didn't know whether it was due to their longstanding differences over MASN.  We might simply not have liked what they were proposing.  This is a very vague report -

"We have heard that the Nats reached out to the Orioles regarding Zach Britton, who in theory could still be of interest. But Baltimore “didn’t engage the Nationals” before the latter club’s recent deal, Buster Olney of ESPN.com notes. Whether that’s due to the ongoing acrimony between those organizations isn’t clear."

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

We did not engage them before they made the deal with the A's and Olney didn't know whether it was due to their longstanding differences over MASN.  We might simply not have liked what they were proposing.  This is a very vague report -

"We have heard that the Nats reached out to the Orioles regarding Zach Britton, who in theory could still be of interest. But Baltimore “didn’t engage the Nationals” before the latter club’s recent deal, Buster Olney of ESPN.com notes. Whether that’s due to the ongoing acrimony between those organizations isn’t clear."

You would assume. 

11 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Buehler is the guy I want. If they get him and a guy like Stewart that really helps the rotation. Maybe it's not the huge flashy haul some people want but that gives you a guy with ace potential in Buehler and Stewart who has #3 upside and has pitched in MLB. Pair that with Bundy and Gausman and you have a lot of potential in that rotation

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Olney says that Washington reached out to Baltimore regarding Britton, but we didn't engage.  Hope that's not true.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/relief-market-notes-neshek-nats-os-reed-rox.html?fv-home=true&post-id=97413

To be clear, Olney reported that we didn't engage with the Nats.   He did not report that the Nats reached out to us.    Rather, MLBTR says "we heard that" they did.   Whatever that means.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, Olney reported that we didn't engage with the Nats.   He did not report that the Nats reached out to us.    Rather, MLBTR says "we heard that" they did.   Whatever that means.   

Sounds to me like the Nats called on Britton and never got a call back.  I would yell "dysfunction" but context and details means a lot here.  Did the Nats win their court case and call that same day and ask about Britton?  I can understand that call not being returned.  But really if Rizzo says "Britton?" How hard is it to pick up the phone and say "Fedde, Kieboom, and Watson, and we'll start there."

Archived