BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Dodgers need starters more than relievers...They should get Darvish or Gray.

They are making the playoffs if they make a deal or not.  Once you get to the playoffs I think a case could be made that a high leverage reliever makes more of an impact in a short series.

I think some of that is posturing to drive the value down.  I think Britton will be okay.  Will be as good as he was last year?  Likely not - his season was historic in how good it was.  But I believe he can still be a top closer.  Keep him, trade Machado and use those prospects to replentish the 25 man roster and farm system.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Right ...the real problem is Duquette believing that the Orioles actually have chance at anything more than a one game playoff. I don't expect the SP all the sudden to hold up. 

What is he going to say a week out from the deadline with an owner that constantly wants to be in contention in front of season ticket holders? There's no reason to say your selling until you actually make a move. He went to the owner and asked if he could make relievers available a week ago but he never once said any of that to the media. He's going to keep things close to the vest.

We are in an odd position in that most think we are not very good and the Orioles for the most part have backed that up this year. Players that would have value have issues like health or consistency. I just don't see any smoke that indicates that there is much interest in any of our people. I hope DD gets something done, but it is much more likely that we get another mid to upper level SP and roll the dice. This team is capable of being the same team we saw early. 

IF Gausman can find consistency, IF Tillman can stay at form, IF Bundy can miraculously survive the wear by taking some longer breaks down the stretch, I can see this team catching fire. I wouldn't mind being the winner of Sonny Gray. 

But we have all seen the other Orioles team also. The one that says 82 wins would be lucky. What's a GM to do. I just don't see anyone lining up for our bullpen arms. Maybe they are hoping DD blinks now and sells low. I hope he does not and that means there may not be a deal to be made. I am ok with that. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Dodgers need starters more than relievers...They should get Darvish or Gray.

Why? Maybe get one of them. But they are going to the playoffs. Once in the playoffs having a "Miller" type guy in the bullpen is just about as valuable as an ace--at least I think you could make that argument.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

We are in an odd position in that most think we are not very good and the Orioles for the most part have backed that up this year. Players that would have value have issues like health or consistency. I just don't see any smoke that indicates that there is much interest in any of our people. I hope DD gets something done, but it is much more likely that we get another mid to upper level SP and roll the dice. This team is capable of being the same team we saw early. 

IF Gausman can find consistency, IF Tillman can stay at form, IF Bundy can miraculously survive the wear by taking some longer breaks down the stretch, I can see this team catching fire. I wouldn't mind being the winner of Sonny Gray. 

I have a sick feeling that we'll offer Mountastle, Hays, and a pitcher for Gray.

Gray's a good pitcher, but I think his stats have been helped quite a bit by playing in Oakland.  

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I have a sick feeling that we'll offer Mountastle, Hays, and a pitcher for Gray.

Gray's a good pitcher, but I think his stats have been helped quite a bit by playing in Oakland.  

Fortunately, I don't think that gets it done if LA, NY, Atl, etc are interested.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I tend to ignore anonymous sources from any team at the trade deadline.  Our scouts and executives are trying to inflate trade value while sources from other teams are trying to deflate trade value.  This is like the NFL draft, total BS time.  Having said that, I agree that Britton's forearm woes may have an effect on his perceived value now.  But, WildBill is correct that there are other moves to be made.

I agree.

No one knows Britton's health better than ZB and our medical guys.  If ZB is healthy (and I think he is), he'll be effective soon.  I wouldn't discount his value too much in trade.  Teams are just talking him down IMO rather than expressing any legitimate concern. 

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

No one knows Britton's health better than ZB and our medical guys.  If ZB is healthy (and I think he is), he'll be effective soon.  I wouldn't discount his value too much in trade.  Teams are just talking him down IMO rather than expressing any legitimate concern. 

I think his stuff has been excellent in his last two outings.  He is even right now better than 90 percent of closers out there. 

Archived