Manny Machado turning the DP

Frobby

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

.244 average, .267 slugging percentage, .357 OBP.

Nice OBP but I would hardly call it killing him.

For the Blade, that's killing it.  xD  Seemed like his one or two HR per season were always vs. Ryan.  Probably more a perception thing than a statistical reality.  Ask other old guys in my age bracket that you know and they very well may tell you Belanger killed Ryan.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

For the Blade, that's killing it.  xD  Seemed like his one or two HR per season were always vs. Ryan.  Probably more a perception thing than a statistical reality.  Ask other old guys in my age bracket that you know and they very well may tell you Belanger killed Ryan.

Weaver mentioned it in his book and it took off from there.

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Enjoy him while you can.

Absolutely, I'm watching the Giants Dodgers game and Conor Gillaspie couldn't properly field a grounder to third, double or triple clutches the throw allowing the speedster Chase Utley to get a infield "hit." Of course, Utley would come around to score and the game is in extras.

If and when Manny is gone, I'm sure the game threads will be filled with Manny would of made that play/gotten the double play more than enough times to count.

3 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Absolutely, I'm watching the Giants Dodgers game and Conor Gillaspie couldn't properly field a grounder to third, double or triple clutches the throw allowing the speedster Chase Utley to get a infield "hit." Of course, Utley would come around to score and the game is in extras.

If and when Manny is gone, I'm sure the game threads will be filled with Manny would of made that play/gotten the double play more than enough times to count.

I'm probably going to make so many sarcastic comments on how "I thought you guys wanted to trade him?" and other stuff. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

.244 average, .267 slugging percentage, .357 OBP.

Nice OBP but I would hardly call it killing him.

The guy Belanger actually killed was Goose Gossage -- .421/.542/.579.    And mostly in high leverage situations, of course.    And my close friend is the proud owner of a foul ball hit by Belanger off Gossage at a game we attended.

22 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Hes signed by the Angels thru 2020.

I wanted him when he was a FA a couple years ago over Hardy to be honest.  Unless he breaks his right arm I feel like he can stay at SS for a long time, since he mostly relies on his breathtakingly strong arm to make plays.

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I wanted him when he was a FA a couple years ago over Hardy to be honest.  Unless he breaks his right arm I feel like he can stay at SS for a long time, since he mostly relies on his breathtakingly strong arm to make plays.

Simmons was never a free agent.   He came up with the Braves in 2012, and they signed him to a long term deal in the 2013-14 offseason, locking him up through 2020.    He was traded to the Angels after the 2015 season.   

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The guy Belanger actually killed was Goose Gossage -- .421/.542/.579.    And mostly in high leverage situations, of course.    And my close friend is the proud owner of a foul ball hit by Belanger off Gossage at a game we attended.

I couldn't understand why Belanger didn't hit for a high average. He was a terrific athlete ( a near-legend in Western Massachusetts high school basketball), had wonderful hand-eye coordination, and seemed like someone who worked hard and would take instruction.

Maybe that's around the time when I figured out there was a lot of very basic stuff about baseball that I would never understand. That part has held up pretty well over the years.

12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I was there. It was right in front of me.He backhanded a hard smash. That was a great play in itself...but then he rifled a throw to Schoop and he turned two. That was the crucial defensive play of the game.It was a play he makes with great frequency. God, I hope theres some way to keep Manny an Oriole. Yes, he has some flaws, and impatience, and occasionally he's hot headed...but he's one hell of a talent.

I figured you probably were there.   He's been unbelievable this year in taking potential doubles and turning them into double plays.    The speed at which he spins after making these backhand stops and then fires a perfect chest high strike to Schoop just astounds me.   He has a sixth sense for where Schoop will be that you just can't teach.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I figured you probably were there.   He's been unbelievable this year in taking potential doubles and turning them into double plays.    The speed at which he spins after making these backhand stops and then fires a perfect chest high strike to Schoop just astounds me.   He has a sixth sense for where Schoop will be that you just can't teach.   

Should be awkward his first year in pinstripes as he keeps firing the ball in the general vicinity of OPACY. 

Double play combos have always been combos of a SS and 2Bman, but Manny and Schoop have changed that.  I'm not sure there's ever been a better 3Bman/2Bman double play combo - combining Manny's range and bullet side-arm throw with Schoop's stone-wall pivot and cannon to 1st.  Just crazy amazing.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Double play combos have always been combos of a SS and 2Bman, but Manny and Schoop have changed that.  I'm not sure there's ever been a better 3Bman/2Bman double play combo - combining Manny's range and bullet side-arm throw with Schoop's stone-wall pivot and cannon to 1st.  Just crazy amazing.  

Some times I think Manny is both the 3B and SS. A thirdstop. Brooks gave Melmo third base so I quess he'll have to give Manny one of his GG's.

Archived