It's a disgrace....

ChuckS

Just now, Br10n said:

Since Dan didn't get blown any he kept Zach.  Brach was not trade because he will be the closer next year.  Dan will trade Zach in the off season for a starter.  

He got junk for JJ.  I hope Duquette does better with ZB.  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well if THAT'S what Dan wanted that explains a lot of things.

A steep price, indeed.

Roch:

Relievers Zach Britton and Brad Brach remain with the Orioles, who weren’t satisfied with the offers they received. There were some health concerns over players headed back to the Orioles that apparently nixed a few possible trades.

55 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I understand not wanting to sell low on Britton. But there was no excuse not to move Brach, Smith, or Castillo.  Brach's value is never going to be higher than it is now and they should have taken what they could for those other two even if the return was only going to be a lower minors flyer prospect.  We are going to have nothing to show for ourselves when these players hit free agency and I don't expect things to be any different with Britton and Machado.  

I think the ownership/FO is still in that delusional win-now mode and Buck and Duquette having just one more year left under contract probably played a role in the lack of activity. It's just said because you look around baseball and see there is a clear model of how to operate under these circumstances, but the O's FO/ownership prefers to just keep digging a bigger hole.  

You could not have said it better. It is sad that the FO/Ownership didn't do more. I am glad they got Beckham. 

21 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yanks are not even comparable. They have the prospects to make that move. The Orioles wouldn't even have been in the conversation unless they offered Mountcastle, Sisco, Hays, Akin etc.  Plus the Yanks are going for a WS 

Lots of other teams have the prospects to make these deals. The Orioles may, too, even though the numbers of prospects they have is greatly diminished by the absence of Latin American free agents in their MiL rosters.

But you're missing what I think is a more important point. The NYYs, Dodgers and RS, and maybe a few others don't need their farm system to feed their major league team because (a) they have some good young position players, most or all of whom they can retain for as long as they want by extending them or signing them as free agents, so they have no need to replace them from their MiL system if they don't want to, and (b) if they do have a need, they can fill it with a ML free agent, a high-priced star from Japan, or (in all likelihood) one of their many international free agent signees. They can use their MiL system as a resource however it's most valuable, whether that's to help the ML team or to acquire Sonny Gray.

If the Orioles use their MiL system that way -- and they have, to some extent, the last few years -- they are hard-pressed to come up with replacements as their players decline or bolt via free agency (a process they have tried to slow down by overpaying to retain them). So for the Orioles, and a lot of teams, trading MiL players to acquire a proven ML star like Chris Sale or Sonny Gray is a much different proposition, even if that team has attractive prospects to offer.

9 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Since Dan didn't get blown any, he kept Zach. Brach was not trade because he will be the closer next year. Dan will trade Zach in the off-season for a starter.  

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well if THAT'S what Dan wanted, that explains a lot of things.

o

Yeah, that's right up there with a poster who once stated that he saw Kevin Gausman "Get hard, REAL hard, at Bowie."

o

16 minutes ago, WEAVERMAN said:

He got junk for JJ.  I hope Duquette does better with ZB.  

The entire league was down on JJ. He's not even close to Britton's caliber. All the advanced stats suggested exactly what happened with JJ... him falling off the planet. And it wasn't until he got to Atlanta that he was able to turn himself into an even semi-passable relief pitcher again.

In 2013, Johnson posted a 1.5 WAR. Last year Britton's was 4.3.

36 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yanks are not even comparable. They have the prospects to make that move. The Orioles wouldn't even have been in the conversation unless they offered Mountcastle, Sisco, Hays, Akin etc.  Plus the Yanks are going for a WS 

To not trade Brach is just too silly for words. They could've gotten something for him. It's very frustrating to see other teams making moves while DD and Angelos have the delusional belief that the O's can make it to the WC.  Maybe Buck has that belief too. That's just not going to happen. I've been an O's fan almost 60 years.  Pathetic that ownership and the GM can't or won't do the proper things to improve the team. When DD and Buck leave after next season I don't have any idea who would want to work for Angelos. I worry about this team and it's future. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

To not trade Brach is just too silly for words. They could've gotten something for him. It's very frustrating to see other teams making moves while DD and Angelos have the delusional belief that the O's can make it to the WC.  Maybe Buck has that belief too. That's just not going to happen. I've been an O's fan almost 60 years.  Pathetic that ownership and the GM can't or won't do the proper things to improve the team. When DD and Buck leave after next season I don't have any idea who would want to work for Angelos. I worry about this team and it's future. 

Brach is a very good reliever that is still under team control for next year. If he were a free agent after this season, I would agree with you, but he offers the Orioles value next year. If they are in the same position next year, I imagine Brach, Britton and Machado will all be traded.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Brach is a very good reliever that is still under team control for next year. If he were a free agent after this season, I would agree with you, but he offers the Orioles value next year. If they are in the same position next year, I imagine Brach, Britton and Machado will all be traded.

For less.  And the rebuild will be another year getting started.

44 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Since Dan didn't get blown any he kept Zach.  Brach was not trade because he will be the closer next year.  Dan will trade Zach in the off season for a starter.  

That's where I am about Zach not getting traded. They would have potentially sold low on him to just move him now(at least that what I want to believe). Get him healthy and close to what he was last year and then go after Houston or LA, or whoever "blew" their shot this year.

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The counter-argument is that Brach's value is highest now (no one can say the same about Britton and Machado) presciely because of the reasons you have cited.  Those arguing for trading Brach have decided that 2018 is a lost cause so cash on Brach now.

The counter-counter-argument is that maybe they trade Britton in the offseason and keep Brach for 2018.  They then net more/better prospects and clear more payroll as Brach will be far cheaper than Britton. Of course they are depleting the BP but on net, if Britton can get SP in return, they will be better off.

The values of both Machado and Britton will decline the longer we wait. The likely scenario will have us trading neither of these guys, and we will end up losing them for nothing.

Good grief what a dysfunctional organization.

Sad day today.

Just now, cheecks said:

The values of both Machado and Britton will decline the longer we wait. The likely scenario will have us trading neither of these guys, and we will end up losing them for nothing.

Good grief what a dysfunctional organization.

Sad day today.

Might get a pick for Britton.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might get a pick for Britton.

Britton's value was low today.  No doubt teams were trying to leverage the recent past  against DD.  I wouldn't deal under those circumstances either.

Britton was better than Miller or Chapman last year.  

I'll bet on my guy reverting to form when I have 2 more chances to trade him.

Archived