Santander

OriolesMagic83

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I really want to see a Mountcastle/Santander/Stewart OF with Mancini at 1B for the rest of the year. 

It would be nice to see Mountcastle play, but I'll be excited for the day when the O's have a legit CF ready for promotion to the big league club. There really isn't reason for Davis to play at all in September and give the kids a chance to shine instead.   

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't lie,  we are on page 38.

If a thread makes it to 3 pages here, chances are it's on a completely different topic.

I'd venture to say that Santander has locked up an outfield spot for OD 2020.  How firm his grip is on that outfield spot remains to be seen.  

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If a thread makes it to 3 pages here, chances are it's on a completely different topic.

I'd venture to say that Santander has locked up an outfield spot for OD 2020.  How firm his grip is on that outfield spot remains to be seen.  

Yeah, I’d absolutely say Santander will be on the OD roster so long as he’s healthy.     He’s earned it.   I’d like to see him continue to perform well in September, though.   

• Upvote 1

I still find it curious that he's performing better, arguably, as a MLer than a MiLer. Even scouts seem to think he's legit, and I'm guessing the statcast data agrees. He'll start to struggle a little and you think, "alright this is it, he's falling back to earth", and then he bust right back out. 

I always thought he would be a good MLer when we got him and I'm glad it's happening so far. 

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am surprised we aren't talking about the Gausman trade. Somehow it's all related.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I still find it curious that he's performing better, arguably, as a MLer than a MiLer. Even scouts seem to think he's legit, and I'm guessing the statcast data agrees. He'll start to struggle a little and you think, "alright this is it, he's falling back to earth", and then he bust right back out. 

I always thought he would be a good MLer when we got him and I'm glad it's happening so far. 

The season before Santander was selected in the Rule 5 draft he had an .862 OPS as a 21-year-old in the Carolina League.  62 extra base hits in 128 games.  One of the top couple dozen hitters in the league while being one of the couple dozen youngest players in the league.

Then the O's selected him, had him jump three levels, and mostly sit the bench for a while until he got injured.  I'm not sure if it was a "Rule 5 Injury" or a real one, but he missed over 100 games.  But when he was rehabbing at AA Bowie he had 10 extra base hits in 15 games and a comic book, SSS OPS.

After what was a mostly wasted year he bounced around several levels in 2018, played less than 100 total games.  I don't remember but he may have been hurt some then, too.  And this year he didn't hit real well in Norfolk, but in just 200 PAs.

I think his development was derailed a little by the chaos of being a Rule 5 pick and bouncing around to so many levels and locations and he may have also been legitimately injured.  If he'd just stayed in the Indians organization and been healthy I don't know that his performance this year would be that remarkable. On a normal, conservative promotion pace he'd have spent 2017 in AA, 2018 mostly in AAA, and probably gotten a real shot in the majors this year.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The season before Santander was selected in the Rule 5 draft he had an .862 OPS as a 21-year-old in the Carolina League.  62 extra base hits in 128 games.  One of the top couple dozen hitters in the league while being one of the couple dozen youngest players in the league.

Then the O's selected him, had him jump three levels, and mostly sit the bench for a while until he got injured.  I'm not sure if it was a "Rule 5 Injury" or a real one, but he missed over 100 games.  But when he was rehabbing at AA Bowie he had 10 extra base hits in 15 games and a comic book, SSS OPS.

After what was a mostly wasted year he bounced around several levels in 2018, played less than 100 total games.  I don't remember but he may have been hurt some then, too.  And this year he didn't hit real well in Norfolk, but in just 200 PAs.

I think his development was derailed a little by the chaos of being a Rule 5 pick and bouncing around to so many levels and locations and he may have also been legitimately injured.  If he'd just stayed in the Indians organization and been healthy I don't know that his performance this year would be that remarkable. On a normal, conservative promotion pace he'd have spent 2017 in AA, 2018 mostly in AAA, and probably gotten a real shot in the majors this year.

I buy this for sure. Good points.