Will the Orioles resign Jeremy Hellickson?

Diehard_O's_Fan

He's a guy I had in mind as a potential FA this winter, along with Alex Cobb.  Let's hope he pitches well down the stretch, recognizes that it's a good fit, and comes back on a reasonable deal for both sides.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I can't help but think that Dan is looking at these next two months as a open tryout for Jeremy. The Orioles have two months to make an impression on him. I am hoping that the Orioles can convince him that pitching in Camden is not that bad. He was able to pitch in Philly for pete's sake. If the Orioles didn't have him for the next two months, he probably would not even consider pitching for the Orioles when he is a FA. I bet Dan realized that.

What is happening. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

At this point I would rather have Hellickson than Tillman. However, I don't see what leverage we would have to get him to sign a team friendly deal before FA. We can't threaten to hang the QO on him since he was acquired via trade. 

Did I just stumble into Jonestown 

???

6 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

If the Orioles don't resign Jeremy, who are you going to have fill the last three spots? You guys are so negative that it is absolutely ridiculous. You are never happy or satisfied. If Jeremy pitches well, the Orioles need to resign him period. That is all I am going to say about that.

The guy has a 6.16 xFIP v lefties with a 5.3 k/9 and a 30.3 ground ball %

If we add 70 feet to the RF wall I'd sign him.

• 9 months later...

Whew, glad they didn't resign Hellickson. What a bum. If he can't pitch well in Baltimore with our top notch instructional minds, he can't pitch anywhere....he is done.

Oh wait....he just needed to leave Baltimore like most other SP's....must be just a bad coincidence.

13 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Whew, glad they didn't resign Hellickson. What a bum. If he can't pitch well in Baltimore with our top notch instructional minds, he can't pitch anywhere....he is done.

Oh wait....he just needed to leave Baltimore like most other SP's....must be just a bad coincidence.

Is this the hill you want to die on? Jeremy Hellickson?

The Orioles had no interest in bringing back Hellickson, nor should they have. In fact, they never should have ever acquired him in the first place. He's had only one good season by ERA+ in the last five years, and by his own admission he hates pitching at Camden Yards.

11 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Is this the hill you want to die on? Jeremy Hellickson?

The Orioles had no interest in bringing back Hellickson, nor should they have. In fact, they never should have ever acquired him in the first place. He's had only one good season by ERA+ in the last five years, and by his own admission he hates pitching at Camden Yards.

LOL-"is this the hill you want to die on?"-that hilarious. thanks for the laugh.

Point taken. And I wouldn't have brought him back either. Just making the point again and again why they don't invest in the best in the biz in this area is so very maddening. Could have offered top dollar to Mike Maddoux....Get best personnel in the biz. It is a fraction of what one of these pitchers makes in a year. Just so very frustrating to watch such epic ineptitude.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(JUNE 3rd)

Hellcikson was injured in today's game against the Braves after throwing only 4 pitches.

First baseman Mark Reynolds' throwing error in the first inning caused starter Jeremy Hellickson to drop the ball as he covered the bag on Ozzie Albies' grounder. Hellickson immediately clutched the back top of his leg, and walked slowly off the field with an apparent hamstring injury.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380603115

o

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 5:57 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(JUNE 3rd)

Hellcikson was injured in today's game against the Braves after throwing only 4 pitches.

First baseman Mark Reynolds' throwing error in the first inning caused starter Jeremy Hellickson to drop the ball as he covered the bag on Ozzie Albies' grounder. Hellickson immediately clutched the back top of his leg, and walked slowly off the field with an apparent hamstring injury.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380603115

o

o

(August 15th)

Hellcikson, who toes the rubber tonight for the struggling Nationals, has very solid raw stats for the 2018 season ........ a 5-2 W-L record, a 3.54 ERA, and a 1.071 WHIP.

The Nationals, for their part, have done a good job in keeping him on a very short leash throughout the season ........ only 2 times in 17 starts has Hellickson gone 6 or more innings.

o

Well that's the thing - he's real good for 4 to 5 innings, but he should come with a warning - Danger, do not use after 5 innings.  Otherwise will immediately implode upon himself.  And with the Nats recent lack of bullpen depth, starting him is like playing with fire.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Well that's the thing - he's real good for 4 to 5 innings, but he should come with a warning - Danger, do not use after 5 innings.  Otherwise will immediately implode upon himself.  

Buck isn't good at reading the warning labels.  Gallardo was the same way.

Archived