Orioles acquire Brallan Perez

Going Underground

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody been keeping track of how many of these bonus slot trades we've made so far? Feels like we've made a ton of these. Even the Hellickson trade had some slot money going to Philadelphia in it.

I don't think this will be a fantastically popular opinion, but what Dan is doing here is actually fairly clever. Rather than roll the dice on one or two pricey international guys, you trade the slot money in pieces for a whole handful of guys that teams are looking to move for one reason or another. There's been something to like about each one of these guys we've picked up this way, even if none of them are singularly exciting. The advantage here is that you are trading for known quantities, players that have a professional track record and scouting data that's been accumulated on them. This is easily the least sexy way to build a baseball organization, but I think it's fairly clever.

And, I mean, this is such an Orioles way of doing things. Rather than making a big splash, you go out and sneakily pluck players from other organizations that they have no use for. Rickard, Brach, O'Day, Blier, Castro, Trumbo, Flaherty. The whole team is composed of players like that, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that this is how the Orioles are reacting to the change in international bonus slot policy. It would be a surprise if this wasn't how the Orioles went out and utilized this new system. I like it, personally, but, again, I don't expect this to be a terribly popular opinion.

As for Brallan Perez, it's really refreshing seeing a position player go out there and actually have more walks than strikeouts over a career. I'm accustomed to seeing that from our starting pitchers, but not position players. Don't know what will come from that(probably nothing), but with how sabermetrically-obsessed everyone is nowadays, this guy is going to stick around professionally for a while if he can keep that up. Kinda nice to see. Kinda doubt there's much projection there, but he's just 21 and it looks like he may have a tool or two.

1 minute ago, gfrank said:

I don't think this will be a fantastically popular opinion, but what Dan is doing here is actually fairly clever. Rather than roll the dice on one or two pricey international guys, you trade the slot money in pieces for a whole handful of guys that teams are looking to move for one reason or another. There's been something to like about each one of these guys we've picked up this way, even if none of them are singularly exciting. The advantage here is that you are trading for known quantities, players that have a professional track record and scouting data that's been accumulated on them. This is easily the least sexy way to build a baseball organization, but I think it's fairly clever.

And, I mean, this is such an Orioles way of doing things. Rather than making a big splash, you go out and sneakily pluck players from other organizations that they have no use for. Rickard, Brach, O'Day, Blier, Castro, Trumbo, Flaherty. The whole team is composed of players like that, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that this is how the Orioles are reacting to the change in international bonus slot policy. It would be a surprise if this wasn't how the Orioles went out and utilized this new system. I like it, personally, but, again, I don't expect this to be a terribly popular opinion.

This has crossed my mind too - it's not like it's a totally dumb idea to pick them up from other organizations. I think some downsides, though, include the fact that it's highly unlikely any top international players will be "sold," so we're always dealing in sleepers 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And how many slots is that?   I confess I don't follow the nuances of this that closely.   

I was wrong. And it is not a number of players, it's simply a total pool number. I posted the link above. It's unusual at best. 

5 minutes ago, gfrank said:

Has anybody been keeping track of how many of these bonus slot trades we've made so far? Feels like we've made a ton of these. Even the Hellickson trade had some slot money going to Philadelphia in it.

As for Brallan Perez, it's really refreshing seeing a position player go out there and actually have more walks than strikeouts over a career. I'm accustomed to seeing that from our starting pitchers, but not position players. Don't know what will come from that(probably nothing), but with how sabermetrically-obsessed everyone is nowadays, this guy is going to stick around professionally for a while if he can keep that up. Kinda nice to see. Kinda doubt there's much projection there, but he's just 21 and it looks like he may have a tool or two.

Per MLBTR, we've acquired Bralian Perez, Yefry Ramirez, Matt Wotherspoon, Jason Wheeler, Damien Magnifico and Milton Ramos for international slots this year, plus using some in the Hellickson deal.

Seems to me that for the most part, these types of deals are going to yield Rule 5-level talent.   Guys who have some shot at making the majors and contributing something, but very little chance of being major league regulars or starting pitchers.    Just my impression.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per MLBTR, we've acquired Bralian Perez, Yefry Ramirez, Matt Wotherspoon, Jason Wheeler, Damien Magnifico and Milton Ramos for international slots this year, plus using some in the Hellickson deal.

Seems to me that for the most part, these types of deals are going to yield Rule 5-level talent.   Guys who have some shot at making the majors and contributing something, but very little chance of being major league regulars or starting pitchers.    Just my impression.    

Also got Alex Katz from White Sox for 2 slots in May.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think some were for one year's allotment and some for another. I must admit that I am confused as to which. 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:
  1. #orioles have acquired INF Brallan Pérez from the Texas Rangers in exchange for International Signing Bonus Slots.

Assigned to Class A Frederick

Per the Roch.

Wow! O's sure don't believe in drafting international players. The owners stubbornness is hurting the O's. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your impression is pretty accurate, I think, mainly fringe sleeper guys so far, though I wonder how much of their slot they've traded so far. It's a shame that they don't reveal how much of that bonus slot was traded in these moves, as it's possible that these trades were for negligible amounts of that bonus pool money and we actually have enough left to sign somebody interesting internationally. Knowing the Orioles, I kinda doubt it, though. We could have zero after the Perez trade, leaving the whole venture somewhat underwhelming. It's a pretty vague thing.

Also, I do suspect, since this is one of those fringe factors that nobody really cares about reporting, that we may have traded some of this bonus slot money in other moves. Like we picked up Castro and Bleier for PTBNL or "cash considerations", but there hasn't been a corresponding move announced. I know the Yankees have been stockpiling this bonus money, so it's possible that this is what we ultimately traded to get Bleier, which probably does somewhat change the complexion of how we are perceiving the trading of this pool money. I have a difficult time mustering up much excitement over trading this slot money for 5 dreadful Triple A games of Damien Magnifico, but I fully support trading international slot money for a Richard Bleier.

Just once I'd like to read about an actual international signing. This is one policy with this organization that really baffles me. I've never understood completely ignoring the international guys, we are passing up an opportunity to add more talent to the system.

Just for the record the Orioles still have their Dominican Academy and have a team in the Dominican Summer League.  Per Steve Melewski in a Blog report the team is as Follows:

The Orioles’ Rookie-level Dominican Summer League team is well underway in its season, one that began June 3 club. The club has a 9-12 record, going 6-4 in the last 10 games.

The team features a roster that includes players from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Panama and Guatemala. The Orioles play in the Boca Chica division with teams from the Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays. The season began on June 3 and runs through Aug. 26.

The Orioles Dominican academy is run by directors Nelson Norman and Felipe Alou Rojas. Elvis Morel is the manager of the DSL squad.

The O’s DSL roster:

Alcantara, Jose - RHP, age 24
Alcantara, Nichel - RHP, age 21
Angomas, Cesar - LHP, age 17
Ayala, Fernando - C, age 20
Barcenas, Richard - OF, age 19
Bautista, Felix - RHP, age 21
Bonilla, Miguel Angel - RHP, age 22
Ciriaco, Bryan - 3B, age 20
Cruz, Oscar - RHP, age 22
Daza, Manuel - RHP, age 20
Diaz, Frandy - LHP, age 22
Dominguez, Manuel - RHP, age 23
Estevez, Marcos - OF, age 21
Gonzalez, Frank - SS, age 20
Gonzalez, Miguel - RHP, age 21
Grasso, Victor - C, age 20
Hernandez, Luis - 3B, age 19
Jador, Junior - RHP, age 21
Jimenez, Hansel - OF, age 20
Joubas, Malek - OF, age 20
Mena, Francisco - RHP, age 23
Mendez, Carlos - C, age 19
Montes, Juan - OF, age 21
Morillo, Anthony - 3B, age 19
Polanco, Miguel - LHP, age 23
Rivero, Lelsxonyer - IF, age 20
Rodriguez, Leonardo - RHP, age 19
Rojas, Edidson - SS, age 18
Rojas, Edwin - RHP, age 21
Sanchez, Jose - SS, age 21
Vizcaino, Dember - RHP, age 22

Some of the players to keep an eye on include Rodriguez who is 1-1 with a 2.12 ERA in four starts. Also Mendez who has hit .243 through 12 games, Edidson Rojas who is batting .222, Barcenas batting .269 and Jimenez who is hitting .220.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/a-look-at-the-orioles-gcl-and-dsl-team-rosters.html

Archived