Very tempting to DH Santander vs righties

wildcard

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

He also didn't have an owner giving out 161 million  7 year contracts to players. What worked 40 plus years ago wouldn't work now days. At least I wouldn't think so. 

What playing the guys that give you the best chance at winning?  Pretty sure that still works. Just not the way Buck works. He's too loyal.

I know it's a 162 game season with ebbs and flows but looks scared in big situations. The bunt in a close game weeks ago. The called 3rd strikes. He can't hit the inside FB right now and all the Pitchers now it. 

He needs to make some adjustments. Maybe back off the plate like Baines and Hardy. Fix your mechanics.  Do something. People say Cal should've taken games off, but at least when he was struggling he'd invent a whole new batting stance. 

Davis up there like it's going to eventually happen so why change?  This is the year to try some stuff out. We're out of it. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

i agree that Buck will use Tillman to push Bundy back a day or so.     But he did put Tillman in the pen when Tillman kept losing in the rotation.

I know Buck likes his veterans.  And you and Roch may be right that Santander just sits.   But I still think its tempting to give him some playing time at DH with Trumbo struggling.  After all the O's are still trying to win games.

I agree this is how it should be, especially when Buck has said the same thing. Whether it happens or not based on that criteria is another story.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Would it work that way now? 

A lot of circumstances are different. But I think it's true that Weaver would have pinch hit for Davis or Trumbo or Hardy if he had a guy on the bench who he thought would give him a better chance to win the game, and Buck won't do that, or will only rarely for Hardy and never for the other two..

But with the pitching staffs much bigger and the position-player benches shorter, it seems odd to me to keep guys on that short bench that you don't use, or to be reluctant to pinch hit in key spots when you've got a better hitter on the bench. 

32 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

A lot of circumstances are different. But I think it's true that Weaver would have pinch hit for Davis or Trumbo or Hardy if he had a guy on the bench who he thought would give him a better chance to win the game, and Buck won't do that, or will only rarely for Hardy and never for the other two..

But with the pitching staffs much bigger and the position-player benches shorter, it seems odd to me to keep guys on that short bench that you don't use, or to be reluctant to pinch hit in key spots when you've got a better hitter on the bench. 

I don't know what was said in the GT at the time, but I immediately thought Jones. Right handed, one of the highest RISP % in the league and Rcepinskinskiiiiiiiizdkiski would have had to face him once they brought him in.

6 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I bet trumbo would do well in AA. 

Trumbo:

2009, Arkansas, Texas League (AA)

137 games, .291/.333/.452, 35 doubles, 15 homeruns

Santander:

2017, Bowie, Eastern League (AA)

15 games, .380/.458/.780, 5 doubles, 5 homeruns

What does this mean?  Not a damn thing with only 15 games played by Santander at AA.  But, what an exciting 15 games!

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I don't know what was said in the GT at the time, but I immediately thought Jones. Right handed, one of the highest RISP % in the league and Rcepinskinskiiiiiiiizdkiski would have had to face him once they brought him in.

Mentioned that Jones did not have good numbers against him.  But this is all ridiculously small samples.  You have to go with either Jones or Castillo in this situation.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I wasn't watching but was following on MLB Gameday. I was thinking small: Who can draw a walk or get hit by a pitch?

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I wasn't watching but was following on MLB Gameday. I was thinking small: Who can draw a walk or get hit by a pitch?

Once the guy who walked three and had two HBP all in the same inning was out, you need to change tactics.

And I'm not sure I trust Davis right now to draw a walk before Jones or Castillo would, especially with a veteran reliever coming in. Give me someone (Jones) who has a track record of success in those situations and who's been hot lately.

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Trumbo:

2009, Arkansas, Texas League (AA)

137 games, .291/.333/.452, 35 doubles, 15 homeruns

Santander:

2017, Bowie, Eastern League (AA)

15 games, .380/.458/.780, 5 doubles, 5 homeruns

What does this mean?  Not a damn thing with only 15 games played by Santander at AA.  But, what an exciting 15 games!

What it means is you just found a way to bring more Santander excitement to the OH & if loving NCR is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Archived