What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Of course he wouldn't have been.

But there is plenty of room for a starting outfielder between fourth outfielder and Werth.

Or you know a catcher, which is where everyone who doesn't post on the OH thinks he will end up.

I think you used Werth as an example simply because he's a failed catcher.  Kinda lazy.

Gonna call BS on this. Sure, everyone who sees "C" next to his name and stops there is going to say he will be a catcher. But certainly not everyone.

Werth started in the Orioles' system, too. But yeah, kinda lazy since Sisco will never steal bases like Werth did. And probably will never hit for power like Werth either.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Gonna call BS on this. Sure, everyone who sees "C" next to his name and stops there is going to say he will be a catcher. But certainly not everyone.

Werth started in the Orioles' system, too. But yeah, kinda lazy since Sisco will never steal bases like Werth did. And probably will never hit for power like Werth either.

The Orioles obviously think he will stick at catcher.  All the national types I have read this year seem to think he will stick at catcher.  All the uniformed masses think he will stick at catcher (since he's listed as a catcher).  The pretty much leaves the hangout.  I'm sure there is someone, somewhere, that falls into the gap but lets just round up shall we?

And yes, he doesn't have the baserunning ability that Werth had, evidently you think that's another reason to slam Sisco instead of more evidence that you made a lazy comp.

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Keith Law said can't catch.  Of course they all said that about Piazza too. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles obviously think he will stick at catcher.  All the national types I have read this year seem to think he will stick at catcher.  All the uniformed masses think he will stick at catcher (since he's listed as a catcher).  The pretty much leaves the hangout.  I'm sure there is someone, somewhere, that falls into the gap but lets just round up shall we?

And yes, he doesn't have the baserunning ability that Werth had, evidently you think that's another reason to slam Sisco instead of more evidence that you made a lazy comp.

Everyone thinks he will catch in the majors. No one thinks he will be great defensively. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Keith Law said can't catch.  Of course they all said that about Piazza too. 

Is he still saying that?

I haven't heard a fresh take from KLaw on Sisco.

Of course KLaw never officially said he was wrong that Bundy wouldn't end up being more than a bullpen arm.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he still saying that?

I haven't heard a fresh take from KLaw on Sisco.

Of course KLaw never officially said he was wrong that Bundy wouldn't end up being more than a bullpen arm.

No, he said it once while watching an AA game while eating two corn dogs with foie gras. Years ago. You know how he is about changing his mind on anything. After a five minute perusal. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles obviously think he will stick at catcher (1).  All the national types I have read this year seem to think he will stick at catcher.  All the uniformed masses think he will stick at catcher (2) (since he's listed as a catcher).  The pretty much leaves the hangout.  I'm sure there is someone, somewhere, that falls into the gap but lets just round up shall we (3)?

And yes, he doesn't have the baserunning ability that Werth had, evidently you think that's another reason to slam Sisco instead of more evidence that you made a lazy comp (4) .

1. You sure? I'd bet you a dollar that there are one or more people in the organization who think Sisco will play little or no catcher in MLB.

2. Pretty sure you meant to write "uninformed" (I just made the same typo) and, well, of course this is correct. Nothing wrong with that. If I don't know a player, all I can go by is the position listed. I am not suggesting everyone who is not on OH is uninformed.

3. No. That would be dishonest.

4. I already agreed with you on this, so no need to belabor it. Sisco and Werth will have one thing in common that makes my "lazy comp" work. And you know what I think that will be. 

And if I am proven wrong, I will be happy about it (as long as he is better than Ramon Hernandez was behind the plate for the Orioles)

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

1. You sure? I'd bet you a dollar that there are one or more people in the organization who think Sisco will play little or no catcher in MLB.

2. Pretty sure you meant to write "uninformed" (I just made the same typo) and, well, of course this is correct. Nothing wrong with that. If I don't know a player, all I can go by is the position listed. I am not suggesting everyone who is not on OH is uninformed.

3. No. That would be dishonest.

4. I already agreed with you on this, so no need to belabor it. Sisco and Werth will have one thing in common that makes my "lazy comp" work. And you know what I think that will be. 

And if I am proven wrong, I will be happy about it (as long as he is better than Ramon Hernandez was behind the plate for the Orioles)

One and three are the same.

Of course there are outliers in any group of significant size.  I don't think it is dishonest at all to say things like "People don't think man and dinosaurs lived at the same time." even though I am well aware that some folks earnestly believe they do.

The truth is the National experts, for whatever their opinion is worth, have come around on him catching and if the O's didn't think he could stick they would have traded or moved him by now. 

The only place I am hearing folks who adamantly believe he won't stick at catcher is here.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, so the gap between Werth and fourth outfielder is more than developing some power.

BJ Surhoff.  He had a couple solid power years, but he wasn't a power hitter.  If we're looking for lazy comps who started out as a catcher,  Surhoff's a much better choice.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

BJ Surhoff.  He had a couple solid power years, but he wasn't a power hitter.  If we're looking for lazy comps who started out as a catcher,  Surhoff's a much better choice.  

The difference being Surhoff played 700+ games at Catcher. I think Werth played none.

Also, maybe Sisco will hit for power at some point. But he will never be a base stealer. Players don't transform into basestealers at the MLB level ever.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Here's a list of reported players who have cleared waivers (so far). 

Derek Holland 

James Shields

Jordan Zimmermann

Felix Hernandez

Justin Verlander

RA Dickey

Miquel Gonzalez

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/players-that-have-cleared-revocable-waivers.html

The problem with Gonzo is that he's another guy that's better on extra rest.  The 6 man rotation has been working great, but if you're going to go out and get a guy, that means they are making less starts.  Less impact.  Our the 4 starts Gonzo would make be that much better than Ubaldo/Tillman.  I think so, but enough for a trade?

My prediction is Gonzo and Bourn.  We need a speedy LH OF for late in the game after Smith comes out.  We get too RH.  

Archived