What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

Frobby

Best development of 2017?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's been the best development for the O's in 2017!

• Dylan Bundy proving to be a reliable starting pitcher with TOR potential
    • Trey Mancini proving he can hit in the bigs and play a decent OF
    • Jonathan Schoop going from solid starting 2B to all-star quality 2B
    • Miguel Castro emerging as reliable rubber armed reliever with starter potential
    • The Tim Beckham trade and his blossoming offense
    • The emergence of several MiL hitters as likely future pieces in the next 1-2 years
    • Other

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I hope Kevin isn't a slow start/second half pitcher.

He didn't really start that slowly in 2016, though he was better in the second half.   He was OK but unlucky with run support and bullpen support.   This year he was just plain bad.  

o

With no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that the Orioles' late-season surge will make it really difficult for Manny Machado to walk away from this team when (and if) he eventually becomes a free agent.

I suspect that he will sign with the Orioles either at the conclusion of this season, or the conclusion of next season. He has a chance to be a "Mr. Oriole" in the manner of a Palmer, a Ripken Jr., etc., that he won't have should he sign with another team after the 2018 season. It may be for a few million dollars less per year than what the top bidder would be offering, but I hope that he can see the forest for the trees in that making $28 of $30 Million over the next 7 or 8 years won't make a substantial difference in his lifestyle than making $33 or $34 Million over the next 7 or 8 years would. Either way, he would probably be able to send his grandkids (should he choose to have any kids in the first place) to college someday.

o

21 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

With no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that the Orioles' late-season surge will make it really difficult for Manny Machado to walk away from this team when (and if) he eventually becomes a free agent.

I suspect that he will sign with the Orioles either at the conclusion of this season, or the conclusion of next season. He has a chance to be a "Mr. Oriole" in the manner of a Palmer, a Ripken Jr., etc., that he won't have should he sign with another team after the 2018 season. It may be for a few million dollars less per year than what the top bidder would be offering, but I hope that he can see the forest for the trees in that making $28 of $30 Million over the next 7 or 8 years won't make a substantial difference in his lifestyle than making $33 or $34 Million over the next 7 or 8 years would. Either way, he would probably be able to send his grandkids (should he choose to have any kids in the first place) to college someday.

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, I think Big Peter steps up to the plate for Manny. And Schoop will surely follow.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I finally voted for Jonathan. .307 31 101 .307/.353/.542/,895!

Who was it recently that told him, "Now finish it. Do you want to coast in with an above average season? Get on it now and have a really great season!" Yonder Alonso? Somebody from the opposition.

It's tough to say. But I'll go with the young guys in the minors. Our ML system has taken a lot of criticism lately but it seems we got some good young talent there.   Happy to see Schoop have a break out year. He's becoming a leader on this team.  Happy to see a full year of Bundy too. His last start was such a treat.

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

Who was it recently that told him, "Now finish it. Do you want to coast in with an above average season? Get on it now and have a really great season!" Yonder Alonso? Somebody from the opposition.

It was Cruz.  Still payin dividends

Archived