What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

Frobby

Best development of 2017?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's been the best development for the O's in 2017!

• Dylan Bundy proving to be a reliable starting pitcher with TOR potential
    • Trey Mancini proving he can hit in the bigs and play a decent OF
    • Jonathan Schoop going from solid starting 2B to all-star quality 2B
    • Miguel Castro emerging as reliable rubber armed reliever with starter potential
    • The Tim Beckham trade and his blossoming offense
    • The emergence of several MiL hitters as likely future pieces in the next 1-2 years
    • Other

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Should be another line of "All of The Above".  IMO.

Having read all the posts that have put Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter as being "Incompetent" at their jobs, it would seem that the Orioles had no improvement at all.  This list/poll is an example of those posters being wrong.  Any and all of these players could have been traded away or could have not been acquired through Dan and Bucks watch.  They were kept or acquired through this management team.

I also look at the team in total, hence i do not have the ability/want to place anything/anyone as best.

A good poll and fuel for thought.  Thanks Frobby.

Who has been proven wrong?  We are running a $!50M payroll and are sitting outside a playoff spot in what is likely to be Manny's second to last year with the organization, but apparently t's all rainbows and sunshine and smiling little bunny rabbits here in Birdland!

The positive developments have been nice and the surge in the farm system has significantly improved the near term future of the franchise, but this is the same GM who traded Miranda for Miley, signed Ubaldo at a cost of a top pick, gave away Bridwell for cash, blah, blah, blah.  

9 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

I voted Schoop.  In the event that Manny does not re-sign here long term, we now have another superstar we can build the team around.

Or another draft pick when he follows Manny out the door!

The team's unwillingness to extend players early in the process is maddening.

55 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Because you and those posters ALWAYS bring up negativity and have issues with Dan Duquette.  I had stated the fact that you and those posters seem to think Dan and Buck are incompetent and with this poll you have been shown that the duo have actually helped improve the Orioles while still maintaining a competitive ballclub.  If my post of you being proven wrong bothers you that much then ignore me please.

Just to be clear, I didn't run this poll to prove anyone wrong about anything, or to advance any position about the team's management.    On every team in the league, every year, there are some positive developments for the team's future, and also some negative ones.     I'm focused on the positive stuff in this thread, and want to keep this thread positive rather than a referendum on the overall state of the team.    But of course there have been negatives as well.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to be clear, I didn't run this poll to prove anyone wrong about anything, or to advance any position about the team's management.    On every team in the league, every year, there are some positive developments for the team's future, and also some negative ones.     I'm focused on the positive stuff in this thread, and want to keep this thread positive rather than a referendum on the overall state of the team.    But of course there have been negatives as well.

Sorry, I was just responding to the negative post I received.

Fixed it.

I voted for our milb hitters development simply bc it was the least expected and the most crucial in our push to be competitive past 2018. Now the pitching...

All the options in this poll are great accomplishments for the squad and Dan. But Dan needs to help create a plan that allows us to pick up a few arms other than trading intl $ for fringe relievers. I think Britton and Brach need to be shopped again. Especially Brach; I think Brach has quietly peaked and is looking at future decline in value.

Might be able to trade Trumbo for an under performing starter with an equivalent contract. Not sure who that pitcher would be, maybe someone like Zimmerman? Or Kennedy? 

Our offense looks fairly stacked for next season, the BP can handle some losses with the emergence of Scott, Blier, Castro, Yacobonis, etc. But our SP from AA up looks like butt. Dan needs to use trades or FA signs to fix the big league rotation AND the upper level of the farm's SP depth this off-season. Not easy, but a constructive challenge for our GM.

I don't think anything matches the positive development of the farm system this year - with at least two and possibly three legit major league OFers having success in AA.  Harvey is back.  Mountcastle is already at AA.

The possibility of a cheap, productive major league OF to join Mancini, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman and likely Beckham in 2019 significantly improves the projected 2019 roster - though that collective group likely still trails the projected cores in Boston, NYY and maybe the two others in our division - the Jays have Bichette and Vlad Jr coming on quickly.

Love Hays, love Mountcastle, but without Bundys cutter we are still in a deep pile. To watch the O's win a low scoring game, that I always felt we were in control of, is something I haven't seen since Mussina. Nothing is harder to find, so that's easy for me.

The cutter is ridiculous recently, like it was in his opener. I've never seen swings like he gets v anything but a knuckleball.

I went with Mancini.  You can make a solid argument for all of them.  Mancini holding his own in LF allows them to have a $500k guy in the middle of the order for the next two years.  It gives them extra time to figure out Sisco without feeling the need to rush his bat.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I went with Mancini.  You can make a solid argument for all of them.  Mancini holding his own in LF allows them to have a $500k guy in the middle of the order for the next two years.  It gives them extra time to figure out Sisco without feeling the need to rush his bat.

I don't see what Mancini has to do with Sisco.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see what Mancini has to do with Sisco.

Indirectly.  They go into the offseason with gaping holes in both right and left, there's more incentive to move Sisco off catcher if they don't think his catching defense is 2018 ready.  Now with that COF spot filled, they can continue to develop Sisco at Norfolk if necessary.  It's a secondary benefit, in my opinion, of Mancini's successful transition to LF.

Archived