What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

Frobby

Best development of 2017?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's been the best development for the O's in 2017!

• Dylan Bundy proving to be a reliable starting pitcher with TOR potential
    • Trey Mancini proving he can hit in the bigs and play a decent OF
    • Jonathan Schoop going from solid starting 2B to all-star quality 2B
    • Miguel Castro emerging as reliable rubber armed reliever with starter potential
    • The Tim Beckham trade and his blossoming offense
    • The emergence of several MiL hitters as likely future pieces in the next 1-2 years
    • Other

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Indirectly.  They go into the offseason with gaping holes in both right and left, there's more incentive to move Sisco off catcher if they don't think his catching defense is 2018 ready.  Now with that COF spot filled, they can continue to develop Sisco at Norfolk if necessary.  It's a secondary benefit, in my opinion, of Mancini's successful transition to LF.

I'd throw Stewart and Hays out there before I moved Sisco.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd throw Stewart and Hays out there before I moved Sisco.

Maybe so.  Though, I'd target Hays for CF/RF instead of left.  Those two have made great strides this season.  I'd still say that Sisco's bat is more MLB ready than Stewart.

Had to go with the resurgent potential of the MiL system. I include Mancini in that as well. As recently as earlier this year I was convinced the farm was a barren place, so it feels great to know there may be help on the way. 

Schopp and Bundy have had excellent seasons, but I have always thought both had the potential, it is just nice to see them coming through. 

2 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

With Hardy, Ubaldo, Miley, Tillman coming off and most other assets signed sans Smith and Castillo, team is well positioned to fix the starting pitching.

I'd think it's unlikely we sign 3 guys who give us much. A trade, one signing, & a rebuilt Tillman would be our best bet. Tillman still has 94, there may be something we can make out of him. Cobb will be out of our price range. If form holds, we will get the guys no one else wants, that has not worked out well when it comes to signing pitching. 

What a great thread.....

I had to choose "other" in the poll, too many variables.

The "ifs" are tantalizing... Bundy keeps it up, Gas-man pitches consistently to his potential, Castro converts to starter and sustains some of his success, and Harvey comes through like it looks he might, then we have solved our #1 problem, starting pitching.

The JJ Hardy era is over, that is obvious. He's been a flailing bat for some time now, painful to watch, despite the steady but range-declining D. If Beckham keeps it up, our infield looks money, MVP candidate talent at 2nd and 3rd, and even "sleepwalking" Chris Davis is flashing golden leather at first, and he's a 2-time HR champion, even though I question if he'll ever regain that status. I had visions of Schoop improving as a hitter, but holy moley, he has exceeded my wildest fantasies, and to have that bat as a middle infielder, whoa!

Trey has been a very pleasant surprise, not only with the bat, but he seems to be playing an adequate left field. If you would have told me his OPS would be higher than all of Manny, Adam, Davis, Seth Smith, and Trumbo after 136 games, I would have laughed a hearty laugh and suggested you take another dose or swig of whatever you were consuming.

I've only seen highlights and reports on Hays / Mullins, but dang, that solves multiple problems (besides creating major payroll flexibility) if they perform at the major league level. If Chance is a major league hitter, even with so-so defense behind the plate, he and Caleb become a very affordable duo.

While I'd hate, hate, hate, to see Britton go, if we can flip him for a MLB ready stud starter, and maybe a couple other prospects, and hand Givens / Brach the 9th, thats okay, as Zach is gonna need to get paid, and paid big if he is healthy and performs. 

And, with the fantasized payroll flexibility, are we in the market for a TOR arm, even though we know that is not the DD/PA way? Or can it be dedicated to Manny / Adam / Jon extensions?

Again, great thread, if for no reason other than helping us focus on the positives. Nice job FRobby.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:57 AM, Frobby said:

What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

o

The fact that the NY Daily News bothered printing a story about an Orioles win ........ and it wasn't against the Yankees, the Mets,  or the Red Sox.

Castillo Rallies Orioles Past Blue Jays 5-4 in 12 Innings

(Associated Press)

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/sports/castillo-rallies-orioles-blue-jays-5-4-12-innings-article-1.3466273

o

13 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Maybe so.  Though, I'd target Hays for CF/RF instead of left.  Those two have made great strides this season.  I'd still say that Sisco's bat is more MLB ready than Stewart.

Sisco has hit 25 home runs in over 1600 minor league at bats. Unless he mutates into a plus plus defensive outfielder he's never going to make it as a starting outfielder. I think his only realistic way forward is as a catcher. A .300 hitting adequate catcher with zero home runs is easier to carry than a below average outfielder who hits .300 with zero home runs. Or he needs a Brian Roberts-esque increase in power (cough, steroids, cough). But hopefully he can catch. 

I went with Schoop. I already thought that Bundy had TOR potential -- and while it's fantastic to see him remain strong through a full season it seems like a reasonable jump for a pitcher of his caliber. I had always hoped Schoop might find another gear, but he's shown this year that he and Manny can be legitimate cornerstones to a contending team moving forward.

The minor league hitters improving is also incredibly exciting. Hopefully we can find a way to keep Manny and Schoop moving forward and supplement them with some of these guys (plus Mancini).

Archived