What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

Frobby

Best development of 2017?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's been the best development for the O's in 2017!

• Dylan Bundy proving to be a reliable starting pitcher with TOR potential
    • Trey Mancini proving he can hit in the bigs and play a decent OF
    • Jonathan Schoop going from solid starting 2B to all-star quality 2B
    • Miguel Castro emerging as reliable rubber armed reliever with starter potential
    • The Tim Beckham trade and his blossoming offense
    • The emergence of several MiL hitters as likely future pieces in the next 1-2 years
    • Other

On 9/2/2017 at 3:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

With no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that the Orioles' late-season surge will make it really difficult for Manny Machado to walk away from this team when (and if) he eventually becomes a free agent.

I suspect that he will sign with the Orioles either at the conclusion of this season, or the conclusion of next season. He has a chance to be a "Mr. Oriole" in the manner of a Palmer, a Ripken Jr., etc., that he won't have should he sign with another team after the 2018 season. It may be for a few million dollars less per year than what the top bidder would be offering, but I hope that he can see the forest for the trees in that making $28 of $30 Million over the next 7 or 8 years won't make a substantial difference in his lifestyle than making $33 or $34 Million over the next 7 or 8 years would. Either way, he would probably be able to send his grandkids (should he choose to have any kids in the first place) to college someday.

o

On 9/2/2017 at 4:05 PM, scOtt said:

In my rat's ass of an opinion, I think Big Peter steps up to the plate for Manny ........ and Schoop will surely follow.

o

I can't speak for Scott, but 7 months later I still have a sense that the Orioles will hold onto (and ultimately extend) Machado ........ and still with no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion.

o

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

I can't speak for Scott, but 7 months later I still have a sense that the Orioles will hold onto (and ultimately extend) Machado ........ and still with no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion.

o

Sounds like a dream.

On 9/2/2017 at 3:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

With no empirical evidence whatsoever to support my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that the Orioles' late-season surge will make it really difficult for Manny Machado to walk away from this team when (and if) he eventually becomes a free agent.

I suspect that he will sign with the Orioles either at the conclusion of this season, or the conclusion of next season. He has a chance to be a "Mr. Oriole" in the manner of a Palmer, a Ripken Jr., etc., that he won't have should he sign with another team after the 2018 season. It may be for a few million dollars less per year than what the top bidder would be offering, but I hope that he can see the forest for the trees in that making $28 of $30 Million over the next 7 or 8 years won't make a substantial difference in his lifestyle than making $33 or $34 Million over the next 7 or 8 years would. Either way, he would probably be able to send his grandkids (should he choose to have any kids in the first place) to college someday.

o

On 9/2/2017 at 4:05 PM, scOtt said:

In my rat's ass of an opinion, I think Big Peter steps up to the plate for Manny ........ and Schoop will surely follow.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

55 minutes ago, now said:

...... and Schoop ???

o

In the event that the Orioles extend Machado for a modest home-team/home-town discount rate (say $275 Million over 10 years instead of $300 Million over 10 years), I would be very surprised if Schoop did not jump on board and sign a fair extension to stay with the team, so long as the Orioles don't egregiously try to low-ball him in the negotiations for said extension ........ somewhat similar to a domino-effect.

On the other hand, If Machado leaves the Orioles (either via a trade or free agency), then I would expect Schoop to follow suit and leave the team when is is eligible to do so as well ........ a similar type of domino-effect as the previous example that I cited, except that it would be going away from the Orioles instead of towards them.

So my feeling/instinct is that they are probably intertwined as a package deal, one way or the other.

o

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

In the event that the Orioles extend Machado for a modest home-team/home-town discount rate (say $275 Million over 10 years instead of $300 Million over 10 years), I would be very surprised if Schoop did not jump on board and sign a fair extension to stay with the team, so long as the Orioles don't egregiously try to low-ball him in the negotiations for said extension ........ somewhat similar to a domino-effect.

On the other hand, If Machado leaves the Orioles (either via a trade or free agency), then I would expect Schoop to follow suit and leave the team when is is eligible to do so as well ........ a similar type of domino-effect as the previous example that I cited, except that it would be going away from the Orioles instead of towards them.

So my feeling/instinct is that they are probably intertwined as a package deal, one way or the other.

o

Have to agree with you on both scenarios.

If the O's did not low ball Chris Davis, what gives anyone the idea they would low ball Machado? Even PA recognizes the MM value vs CD. My guess is that Manny will test the market regardless of any O's offer. I think Manny would prefer the bright lights of a major city instead of Baltimore.

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

If the O's did not low ball Chris Davis, what gives anyone the idea they would low ball Machado? Even PA recognizes the MM value vs CD. My guess is that Manny will test the market regardless of any O's offer. I think Manny would prefer the bright lights of a major city instead of Baltimore.

o

I didn't see anyone saying that the Orioles would low-ball Machado. Trying to sign a player for $275 Million instead of $300 Million and appealing to their sense of legacy (potentially going down as a "Mr. Oriole" similar to that of Jim Palmer, and/or Brooks Robinson,  and/or Cal Ripken Jr) is not an egregious low-ball tactic. Offering them $175 or $200 million (for the same amount of years) would be low-balling said player. 

o

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I didn't see anyone saying that the Orioles would low-ball Machado. Trying to sign a player for $275 Million instead of $300 Million and appealing to their sense of legacy (potentially going down as a "Mr. Oriole" similar to that of Jim Palmer, and/or Brooks Robinson,  and/or Cal Ripken Jr) is not an egregious low-ball tactic. Offering them $175 or $200 million (for the same amount of years) would be low-balling said player. 

o

He's young enough that he could be Mr. "Any Team Nickname"...there will be no home team discount for a Mr. Oriole designation IMO from Manny.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

56 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

He's young enough that he could be Mr. "Any Team Nickname"...there will be no home team discount for a Mr. Oriole designation IMO from Manny.

o

He would need to start over from scratch (in terms of legacy) for another team in order to become their "Mr" (fill-in-the-blank team/franchise.)

He's already almost halfway there with the Orioles.

The legacy of staying with one team/franchise for one's entire career  (or almost one's entire career, like Mays and Aaron who both played out the final 2 years of their careers with a different team after playing more than 20 years with their original franchise) is not the same as playing 6 or 7 years of one's prime for one team, and then 9 or 10 more years with another IMRAOAO. You can cement your legacy with more than one franchise (like Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, Paul O'Neill, and Mike Mussina all did), but it is not the same as the ultra-personal, career-long legacies of being attached solely/primarily to one team that players such as Cal Ripken Jr, Jim Palmer, Derek Jeter, Ernie Banks, etc all have.

Machado may or may not decide to play ball at a modest discount for the Orioles, but the possibility (and a rationale/reason for it) is certainly there.

o

I think whatever minuscule chance there was that Manny would re-sign here flew out the window with the O’s collapse this season.    It’s one thing to re-sign with a competitive team, and another thing to re-sign with a team that’s just spent a season being hopelessly out of it.    

37 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't see much positive going forward. It's hard to evaluate when your organization as a whole is in the tank. Only positive I see is October when this nonsense is over and a new management operation is in place. 

What is this "new management" you speak of? 

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Tillman finally disappearing from the roster (via the DL) is a notable addition by subtraction. BTW, gotta love the OH spin on the daily feed:

There's no timetable for when Tillman might return after he allegedly suffered a lower back injury.

Archived