Richie Bancells is retiring

Frobby

The baseball team in Baltimore has had 3 trainers for the past 97 years.

The International League Orioles hired Eddie Weidner as head trainer for the 1921 season.   He was the trainer for the IL Orioles through 1953, and then became trainer of the American League Orioles when they moved to town in 1954.   Weidner served as MLB Oriole head trainer through 1967.

Ralph Salvon, who had been in the St Louis Browns organization when they came to Baltimore, took over as head trainer in 1968 and served through 1988.

Bancells was Salvon's assistant late in his carer and took over as head trainer in 1989, and served in that position ever since.

Next year, as in 1921, 1968, and 1989, the Baltimore Orioles will have a new head trainer.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice gesture to have Bancells throwing out the first pitch tomorrow.    

That is tremendous. Going to be weird not seeing Bancells in the dugout. During those awful 14 years of losing Bancells was more famous than some of the players.  He's been a part of the O's since I was fan. I'm sure the ovation he will get will be ringing throughout the yard, well deserved.

I once suggested that we should consider that the O's medical and training staff wasn't very good, since circa 2007 every talented pitcher the organization had since Mussina got hurt and/or ended up terrible.  Sorry Richie.  I have no real information either way, but I think we can chalk that up to general organizational malaise more than any failings on your part.

I'm old enough to have sat on the sidelines at an Orioles offseason basketball game next to Bancell's predecessor, Ralph Salvon.

Archived