Roch has been told the O's need 4 more starters

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's about 15 miles, but takes about half an hour.    I doubt spring training location is going to be a big factor in Tillman's decision.  

According to Microsoft MapPoint, Ed Smith Stadium is 12.5 miles from LECOM Park (formerly McKechnie Field) in Bradenton. Diving time (taking 301) is estimated at 17 minutes. 

I live in St. Pete and can't tell you how many times I've driven between Bradenton and Sarasota, if it's taking you 30 minutes,  you must be in terrible traffic.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

According to Microsoft MapPoint, Ed Smith Stadium is 12.5 miles from LECOM Park (formerly McKechnie Field) in Bradenton. Diving time (taking 301) is estimated at 17 minutes. 

I live in St. Pete and can't tell you how many times I've driven between Bradenton and Sarasota, if it's taking you 30 minutes,  you must be in terrible traffic.

Yes and a lot of lights.

I was staying close to Ed Smith stadium.  Google Maps says 12.3m, 22m.  Its was more like 30 the day I did it.

15 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I've only done it once, this spring when I was heading home from vacation.    I'm sure you'd know better than me.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I've driven that and its not 15 minutes.  But that is neither here nor there.   Its close enough.  Your point on the Pirates is a good one.  I don't see the O's letting that happen.   Chris doesn't know the National league hitters or the parks.  Its all new to him.  He doesn't have his friends in Pittsburgh.   I think the O's have a big edge on signing him if they want him.  

So now we're competing for Tillman's services as opposed to just doing him a solid and signing him to a minor league contract? You all are seriously overestimating the value of a soon to be 30 year old with mediocre stuff and an era close to 8.00. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So now we're competing for Tillman's services as opposed to just doing him a solid and signing him to a minor league contract? You all are seriously overestimating the value of a soon to be 30 year old with mediocre stuff and an era close to 8.00. 

I think it will take a major league contract to sign him.  He may do the O's a favor and sign a minor league one with an agreement that he is on the opening day roster.   He is a team oriented player.    But there should be enough competition on an incentive based contract that he will require a major league contract IMO.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it will take a major league contract to sign him.  He may do the O's a favor and sign a minor league one with an agreement that he is on the opening day roster.   He is a team oriented player.    But there should be enough competition on an incentive based contract that he will require a major league contract IMO.

What’s the point of a minor league deal if there’s an agreement that he’s on the MLB roster to start the season?  What if he’s horrible in ST?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Competition?   For what?    A pitcher who had a should injury coming of of last season and put up a minus 2.2 WAR?     I guess it's possible that a team signs him to a league minimum type ML contract with incentives on games started.   Something that is very easy for a team to walk away from.    Still, I put the odd's on a minor league contract with a ST invite.    I wait with curiosity to see if and what shows up on his MRI when he takes a physical for any of these clubs.     

Tha'st just about the incentive contract that I have projecting. 1m base plus 5m incentives for games started.   You are about 450K lower.   There is little risk with that kind of contract and I think a few teams may offer something  like that .

4 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

What’s the point of a minor league deal if there’s an agreement that he’s on the MLB roster to start the season?  What if he’s horrible in ST?

It saves a 40 man roster spot over the winter.   They would have a clause that covers if he does not perform.  O's often sign players to contracts and then termination them before the season starter.  Last year it was McFarland and Ondrusek.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If it takes a major league contract to sign Tillman then let him walk. I'd rather have a new bad pitcher (to at least give me some hope) then an old bad pitcher. And team oriented or not, this is a business and Chris Tillman hasn't produced. Continuing to dump money into his "finger's crossed" resurgence would just be foolish. With the exception of Bundy and Gausman they should alleviate all of the stink from this year's starting rotation and clean house. Miley gone, Tillman gone, Ubaldo gone, and Hellickson gone. And don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

As I have stated before, I would love it if the Orioles would sign Lance Lynn to take some pressure off of Bundy and Gausman (of feeling like they have to win almost every time out), plus it would give the Orioles some more breathing room for the #4 and #5 spots.

Ideally I would like to see them add 2 solid starting pitchers from free agency, but realistically for a mid-market team like the Orioles (especially with the impending free agency in the relatively near future of both Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop), I would be happy with one major addition to the starting rotation via free agency ...... a bonafide solid starter, not wing-and-a-prayer types like Gallardo and Jimenez.

o

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I like Lynn quite a bit, but he doesn't make sense for this team. Why would a team teetering on the edge of a rebuild give a 5 year deal (which is what it will take) to a 30 year old pitcher?

I've said it before, but I really think the only way for the Orioles to obtain a difference maker type SP is through a trade...which doesn't play to Duquette's strength. 

o

For that very reason.

The team is not rebuilding in 2018, which is also the last year on the contract of both the manager and the General Manager. Their biggest concern is 2018 and 2018 only, not any future rebuild in 2019 and beyond, so the remaining years on a 5-year contract would be of little concern to the GM who gave out that contract.

All of that said, I am somewhat skeptical about the Orioles signing a bonafide solid starting pitcher such as Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb through free agency for big money, because I have not seen them do that to date ....... which is why I would be thrilled if they did.

o

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

....I've said it before, but I really think the only way for the Orioles to obtain a difference maker type SP is through a trade...which doesn't play to Duquette's strength. 

I'm assuming that Dan Duquette will be "all in" for 2018.

According to my projected 2018 opening day payroll, the O's have about $35M left to match the 2017 opening day payroll.

However, does anyone really believe that the O's will break with their history and sign a free agent Yarvish or Arrieta to a $200M+ long term deal?

I'd be willing to bet that, if Duquette acquires any pitcher who is currently and generally thought to be a "difference maker", it will be via trade of one or more of our "top" prospects.

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

For that very reason.

The team is not rebuilding in 2018, which is also the last year on the contract of both the manager and the General Manager. Their biggest concern is 2018 and 2018 only, not any future rebuild in 2019 and beyond, so the remaining years on a 5-year contract would be of little concern to the GM who gave out that contract.

All of that said, I am somewhat skeptical about the Orioles signing a bonafide solid starting pitcher such as Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb through free agency for big money, because I have not seen them do that to date ....... which is why I would be thrilled if they did.

o

I would too but they won't. 

40 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

For that very reason.

o

One of the first things that will happen this off season is the extension of Buck.  My guess  is for 3 years. JMO

54 minutes ago, AZRon said:

I'm assuming that Dan Duquette will be "all in" for 2018.

According to my projected 2018 opening day payroll, the O's have about $35M left to match the 2017 opening day payroll.

However, does anyone really believe that the O's will break with their history and sign a free agent Yarvish or Arrieta to a $200M+ long term deal?

I'd be willing to bet that, if Duquette acquires any pitcher who is currently and generally thought to be a "difference maker", it will be via trade of one or more of our "top" prospects.

If they're willing to spend money I bet they will a target Vargas. That would be a typical Duquette-like move, and a  very bad one. As are as Darvish and Arrieta go...

1) There's no chance the Oriole's sign someone long term with his arm history.

2) There's no chance they bring Arrieta back, because in a a roundabout way it would be admitting that they blew it with him the first time. I doubt Arrieta wants to dredge up those Baltimore memories either. 

Archived