Wilkerson can help as the Utility Infielder

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's cool, agree to disagree, but ever since Buck said Mark Reynolds was a good defender after the 2012 season, I've been paying close attention to how he uses rhetoric about defense in interviews and it seems suspect to me.

Buck does like to say nice things about "his" guys, which is why his clubhouses are normally tight as a group.

But, I believe 2012, Mark played mostly 1st, if my memory is correct, he was much better at first, then the fiasco of his playing 3rd.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's cool, agree to disagree, but ever since Buck said Mark Reynolds was a good defender after the 2012 season, I've been paying close attention to how he uses rhetoric about defense in interviews and it seems suspect to me.

I’d like to see that quote.   However, what managers say publicly about their players aren’t always perfectly in line with what they really think.     Buck doesn’t say negative things about his players very often.  

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck does like to say nice things about "his" guys, which is why his clubhouses are normally tight as a group.

But, I believe 2012, Mark played mostly 1st, if my memory is correct, he was much better at first, then the fiasco of his playing 3rd.

You are correct, he mostly played 1st and was pretty bad there as well.  Not nearly the trainwreck he was at 3B but still a below average defender at the easiest defensive position.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck has said, that its easier for left side of the diamond players to move mid-game and cover right side of the diamond positions, then vice versa.

I don't understand your post.   What does that have to do with what I posted?

Just now, Frobby said:

I’d like to see that quote.   However, what managers say publicly about their players aren’t always perfectly in line with what they really think.     Buck doesn’t say negative things about his players very often.  

I'll see if I can find it, I have an indirect quote in this article.

As far as the what managers say publicly part, that's my point.  I don't doubt Buck's ability to judge defensive ability at all.  I just think when he talks about it in interviews, it's to create a narrative and therefore, you can't take Buck's declarations about defense at face value as a guide when trying to predict what the team will do. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If Schoop is at 2nd and moves to short, then that is a right side of the diamond to left side of the diamond, and Buck doesn't believe that is smart move in mid-game.

But my point was the Buck does not want to move Manny or Schoop to SS as a backup.  He likes to have  a player on the bench that can play SS.

38 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If he's not a plus defender I dont think he should be the O's utility. 

He's not a plus defender, but if the Orioles decide to add him to the 40 man and consider him for the utility role, I'm sure you'll hear the Orioles brass talking him up like he's a plus defender, just wait for it.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

But my point was the Buck does not want to move Manny or Schoop to SS as a backup.  He likes to have  a player on the bench that can play SS.

This is true, but I could see DD having a utility infielder who can't play SS. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

This is true, but I could see DD having a utility infielder who can't play SS. 

Good luck with that.  I don't see it happening.  SS is where the O's have their most unproven infielder.   That is where the playing time is likely to come in the infield.  

The O's already have Santander as their 25 man for the first 6 weeks of the season.  A backup catcher and a utility outfielder like Gentry or Rickard fills out the bench.   I think the 4th guy on the bench has be be able to play SS.

I think some people are selling Wilkerson a bit...Short. B|

He can play 3rd. He was the primary 3rd baseman at Bowie and doing quite well until the brass decided "hey, let's talk noodle arm from Frederick and stick him there!"

He can play 3rd, 2nd, and the corner outfield spots. Shortstop is his weakness because he hasn't played there, but nothing says he hasn't been practicing there. He could also practice a lot this off season and during the Spring, with the Major League coaches.

If worst came to worst, he can play 3rd or 2nd and slide Machado or Schoop over if needbe for an inning.

I know Buck has defense as a top priority.  But it has taken second place to other priorities in his mind (i.e. playing Trumbo in right field).    Buck will play a horrific fielder if it matches up with his perceived other needs, so the common wisdom that "you can't play for Buck unless you are a good fielder" is just a statement of philosophy, not an inviolable operating principle.     

Just now, tntoriole said:

I know Buck has defense as a top priority.  But it has taken second place to other priorities in his mind (i.e. playing Trumbo in right field, playing Delmon Young in the outfield anywhere).    Buck will play a horrific fielder if it matches up with his perceived other needs, so the common wisdom that "you can't play for Buck unless you are a good fielder" is just a statement of philosophy, not an inviolable operating principle.     

Archived