Wilkerson can help as the Utility Infielder

Roll Tide

Best solution for Util next year is Flaherty. Give Flaherty the min. Develop Wilkerson in AAA. 

If we hadn't stunted Flaherty's development, he might have been a starting 2nd base option for some bottom tier team. LH. Has good AB's. Some pop.  Played a heck of a 3B in 2014 when Machado got hurt. Has filled in admirably at SS for JJ. 

Don't do the same with Wilkerson. I'd let him play all over the IF in AAA next year. We might need him to replace Machado or Schoop. Develop the guy. Why have him sit on the bench for 120 games up here?  

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Best solution for Util next year is Flaherty. Give Flaherty the min. Develop Wilkerson in AAA. 

If we hadn't stunted Flaherty's development, he might have been a starting 2nd base option for some bottom tier team. LH. Has good AB's. Some pop.  Played a heck of a 3B in 2014 when Machado got hurt. Has filled in admirably at SS for JJ. 

Don't do the same with Wilkerson. I'd let him play all over the IF in AAA next year. We might need him to replace Machado or Schoop. Develop the guy. Why have him sit on the bench for 120 games up here?  

Wilkerson doesn't have everyday player upside, Wilkerson is 25, he doesn't need developing.  If he can keep his walk rate respectable in the majors then he could be a solid utility guy.

I also think you are seriously overrating Flaherty, he had a couple of solid years (majorly surpassing the expectations of a rule 5 pick) but that was 3 years ago, it's time to move on.  

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't like Flaherty but you do have a point. 

The greatest need for a UIF is at SS. Beckham has never started more than 128 game at SS.  And he is a high error   shortstop projected to have over 20 errors and may many more.   2B and 3B has going to have players that play 150 games and maybe 160.    So the UIF should be a SS that can be a defensive replacement for Beckham and also play a month as a starter at SS in case of injury to Beckham.  

Cost is also a consideration because the O's need to put as much money as they can into  starting pitching.

Hardy maybe a good option as far as defense if he wants the job.  But his cost may be prohibitive if other teams  offer him a decent salary.   Flaherty is not the best SS but passable.   His 1.8m salary of last year is a little high.

Maybe there is someone else out there that may be better.  I don't think the O's are going to spend a lot on a UIF.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilkerson is tearing up the the AFL. 7th in the whole league with a 1.000 + OPS. We're going to have to add this guy to the 40 man to protect him from the rule 5.  We just don't have IF position prospects, even at 25, put up the season he had.

We will be seeing a lot of him in ST.  I'd like to see a battle with him and a vet for the Util role.  I'd almost rather him get a half season of AB's in AAA since our Util guy hardly ever plays.  Plus, maybe he's a sleeper candidate for leadoff and LF if we were able to trade Trumbo, and move Mancini to DH.

Gotta love his OBP numbers.  That's what we need more of.  Also Mountcastle is holding his own as a 20 year old with a 750ish OPS.  Santander is struggling.  

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&lid=119&t=l_bat

It’s good to see Wilkerson having success, and Mountcastle hitting for power/holding his own.  I would caution everyone not to put too much stock in AFL results, no one gets enough plates appearances for the results to be statistically significant.  That’s why scouting is so important in these types of showcase situations (spring training is another good example of this).

I wish I could have made it out to give a first hand report, maybe next year.  AZRON has graciously been supplying some solid eyewitness reports everyone should check out.  

If the games make it to MLB tv, I’ll write up some scouting notes as well.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That's what happens when you become a Buck guy!

The thing about Flash was, he was pretty competent anywhere you put him.    He played every single position other than catcher or CF at one time or another.    He was a subpar SS, but he wouldn’t embarrass you out there.     It’s kind of amazing that he accrued 6 years of service time in 6 years in our organization, considering his modest talents, but they never really had anyone who I thought could fill his role any better than he did.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The thing about Flash was, he was pretty competent anywhere you put him.    He played every single position other than catcher or CF at one time or another.    He was a subpar SS, but he wouldn’t embarrass you out there.     It’s kind of amazing that he accrued 6 years of service time in 6 years in our organization, considering his modest talents, but they never really had anyone who I thought could fill his role any better than he did.   

Was?  I didn't know Flash died.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I could see Buck convincing Dan to pay twice that.

It would be stupid to pay 2million for a utility infielder of Flaherty's level 2 million, when you have other needs and a player could do it for the minimum. Honestly clogging up the roster spot when Wilkerson needs to be on it anyway is another reason it would be unwise. If his bat were any good like Moira's was back before he became a starter that would be another matter.

Archived