Orioles Will Face Tough Decision On Adam Jones After 2018 Season

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Davis'  contract will not keep the O's from signing Manny.  He is effectively being paid 17m a year out of a 158m budget.    What will make or break the signing of Manny is:

1) Will the O's have stable field management with a Buck extension?  Manny will not sign up to play for an unknown manager.

2) Can the O's acquire two quality starters without tearing the team apart?   Plus at least two other starters.   No pitching, no Manny because the O's can't compete without better starting pitching.

3) Then and only then do the O's get to the final question.   Do the want to commit to a 10/300m contract?  or there abouts.

There is very little on the O's books past next year.  They can hold on to Manny and Schoop if they make the right moves.  But it will not be easy to acquire the pitching needed.

Adam's contract next year comes after these three considerations.

My concern isn't with whether or not they sign Manny. They won't. I don't care what anyone says, the O's aren't the type of team to give out record breaking deals and until they do so I will assume Manny leaves after next year.

Davis is making a lot, yes...but it won't make or break the team. What does have a huge impact is that 1B should have high offensive output and I'm afraid we won't see that out of that position until Davis is off this team. Now they've got a lot of ground to make up with other positions if they want to compete. 

28 minutes ago, oriole said:

My concern isn't with whether or not they sign Manny. They won't. I don't care what anyone says, the O's aren't the type of team to give out record breaking deals and until they do so I will assume Manny leaves after next year.

Davis is making a lot, yes...but it won't make or break the team. What does have a huge impact is that 1B should have high offensive output and I'm afraid we won't see that out of that position until Davis is off this team. Now they've got a lot of ground to make up with other positions if they want to compete. 

I will not give up on Davis this soon.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Better than -.6 rWAR?

I'm sure they did.

Joe "Warmbody" Smith.

Mancini for instance.

Anyway, I was asking if you would have kept Trumbo on the roster.

Maybe you wouldn't and maybe I wouldn't but DD and Buck did. For having him on the team I think Buck is just as guilty as DD is. 

The last several pages of this thread seem to be about everyone but Adam Jones.     I’m not worrying now about whether we re-sign him.     It depends on what the team’s competitive position is next year, and whether Jones as a corner OF makes any sense then (frankly, it probably won’t).

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last several pages of this thread seem to be about everyone but Adam Jones.     I’m not worrying now about whether we re-sign him.     It depends on what the team’s competitive position is next year, and whether Jones as a corner OF makes any sense then (frankly, it probably won’t).

I think a Jones extension is the type of classic trap contract the O's fall into.

It would be an insult for a team he has played for this long to offer him a contract that represents his true on the field value going forward.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a Jones extension is the type of classic trap contract the O's fall into.

It would be an insult for a team he has played for this long to offer him a contract that represents his true on the field value going forward.

I think the Orioles will offer him what he is worth for two years for each of the next four. 

Archived