Buck interview from WBAL

wildcard

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It's another way of adding depth, because most teams use the rule 5 draft every year since Pat Gillick managed to build some great teams with the Rule 5 draft

Most teams do not use the Rule 5 draft every year.   For example, only 16 teams made a Rule 5 pick last year, and several of those players did not make the roster.   The two prior seasons, only 14 and 9 teams made picks, respectively.   

And other than George Bell, who did Pat Gillick ever select in the Rule 5 draft who was a significant contributor to his teams?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Most teams do not use the Rule 5 draft every year.   For example, only 16 teams made a Rule 5 pick last year, and several of those players did not make the roster.   The two prior seasons, only 14 and 9 teams made picks, respectively.   

Because teams prepare for it, unlike in the days of Gillick's great train robberies. Santander is going to be a good piece, but i realize he's an exception to the norm. 

37 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It looks like a bullseye with Santander, and Flarethy was good as a depth piece. MacFarland was kind of trash, Michael Alamanzar is trash and Joey Rickard is actually good with the glove. 

I think it’s way too early to know if Santander will be a good major league player.   He’s an impressive physical specimen and he hit well during his short stay at Bowie, but his performance for the Orioles (.625 OPS) and so far in the AFL (.461 OPS) have been nothing to write home about.   I’m still optimistic, but definitely not ready to declare him a “bullseye.”

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s way too early to know if Santander will be a good major league player.   He’s an impressive physical specimen and he hit well during his short stay at Bowie, but his performance for the Orioles (.625 OPS) and so far in the AFL (.461 OPS) have been nothing to write home about.   I’m still optimistic, but definitely not ready to declare him a “bullseye.”

All his performances tell me in the AFL and in Baltimore this year tell me that he needs a year to develop in Bowie or Norfolk. Which after his rule 5 status is gone, he'll be in one of those two. 

47 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It looks like a bullseye with Santander, and Flarethy was good as a depth piece. MacFarland was kind of trash, Michael Alamanzar is trash and Joey Rickard is actually good with the glove. 

MacFarland was far from trash, his first two seasons with the team. IMO

He had a role and preformed pretty well in that role.

16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Because teams prepare for it, unlike in the days of Gillick's great train robberies. Santander is going to be a good piece, but i realize he's an exception to the norm. 

16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

They changed the rules.

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think it's longer until you have to protect a player, someone probably can answer with more detail though.

An extra year of being exempt from the Rule 5 draft was added in the 2006 CBA, per Wikipedia.

Archived