Astros Should Give Orioles What They Want for Britton

section18

41 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Springer quoted yesterday by Tom Boswell on why some guys don't respond well to post season pressure situations:

“I just think when the lights turn on even brighter you tend to subconsciously press, and you want to succeed so bad that you start to do things that you wouldn’t do, or you start to come out of an approach that has worked the whole year,” Springer said during the Series. “This is my first experience at playing this far, playing this long and in [games] of this magnitude. So, for me to understand, ‘Hey, slow yourself down.’ I understand now why some guys struggle in the postseason and some don’t.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/on-team-full-of-great-stories-george-springer-world-series-mvp-might-be-the-best/2017/11/02/b2a6f822-bf33-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.8da863af3664

He was both "un-clutch" and "clutch" in two playoff series....

This is not possible ...players at this level are beyond choking/underperforming.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Springer quoted yesterday by Tom Boswell on why some guys don't respond well to post season pressure situations:

“I just think when the lights turn on even brighter you tend to subconsciously press, and you want to succeed so bad that you start to do things that you wouldn’t do, or you start to come out of an approach that has worked the whole year,” Springer said during the Series. “This is my first experience at playing this far, playing this long and in [games] of this magnitude. So, for me to understand, ‘Hey, slow yourself down.’ I understand now why some guys struggle in the postseason and some don’t.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/on-team-full-of-great-stories-george-springer-world-series-mvp-might-be-the-best/2017/11/02/b2a6f822-bf33-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.8da863af3664

He was both "un-clutch" and "clutch" in two playoff series....

Why don’t we ever see Ryan Flaherty types win WS MVP?  I realize there was nobody comparable in this WS, but WS teams aren’t always this loaded.  If you look at a list of WS MVPs, it’s almost entirely all-stars and Hall of Famers.  The best players are normally the ones who perform.  Are they clutch or are they just the best players?

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Why don’t we ever see Ryan Flaherty types win WS MVP?  I realize there was nobody comparable in this WS, but WS teams aren’t always this loaded.  If you look at a list of WS MVPs, it’s almost entirely all-stars and Hall of Famers.  The best players are normally the ones who perform.  Are they clutch or are they just the best players?

I would argue that it's just the best players who generally perform best in big stages because they also perform best in any situation.  If someone were to present a statistical analysis of how some players repeatedly over large samples significantly out-perform or under-perform their career numbers in high pressure situations, I'd be more than willing to change my view.  

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

1983 Rick Dempsey had a wail of a world series!!!!!

17 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I don’t think your premise that WS MVP’s are “almost entirely all-stars and Hall of Famers” is factual.   They’ve been handing out the award for 63 years.  I’d say the list runs the gamut.   I see guys like David Freese, David Eckstein, Scott Brodius, Pat Borders, Ray Knight, Rick Dempsey, Steve Yeager, Bucky Dent, Gene Tenace, and Donn Clendenon on the list.  http://www.espn.com/mlb/history/awards/_/id/23.    However, I wouldn’t disagree that the majority of winners were excellent players. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think your premise that WS MVP’s are “almost entirely all-stars and Hall of Famers” is factual.   They’ve been handing out the award for 63 years.  I’d say the list runs the gamut.   I see guys like David Freese, David Eckstein, Scott Brodius, Pat Borders, Ray Knight, Rick Dempsey, Steve Yeager, Bucky Dent, Gene Tenace, and Donn Clendenon on the list.  http://www.espn.com/mlb/history/awards/_/id/23.    However, I wouldn’t disagree that the majority of winners were excellent players. 

David Eckstein, David Freese, Scott Brocius, Ray Knight, Bucky Dent and Gene Tenace were all All-Stars.  Eckstein and Knight twice each, Dent 3 times. 

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Didn't Rick Dempsey win World Series MVP?

53 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

David Eckstein, David Freese, Scott Brocius, Ray Knight, Bucky Dent and Gene Tenace were all All-Stars.  Eckstein and Knight twice each, Dent 3 times. 

By “all stars,” I thought you meant people who frequently were all-stars.     I mean, even Ty Wigginton was an all-star once.    

As an aside, I looked up Bucky Dent, whose OPS+ in his three all-star years was 80, 89 and 97.    That was just before Cal came along and teams started looking for offense at the SS position.  Eckstein had an OPS+ of 99 and 80 in his two all-star years.    He was actually a better hitter than I had remembered.  

Archived