Will Mark Trumbo Be Back With Orioles In 2018?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PressBoxOnline said:

With $26 million left on the remaining two years of his contract, Mark Trumbo surely would be difficult to move, and the Orioles might have to eat some of the money. But should they try to trade him for a starting pitcher?

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/10/26/will-mark-trumbo-be-back-with-the-orioles-in-2018

Understatement of the offseason

They would have to eat 90% of his salary, and get nothing back but a C level prospect, and he can't go to a National League team because he has huge negative defensive value.

49 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Understatement of the offseason

They would have to eat 90% of his salary, and get nothing back but a C level prospect, and he can't go to a National League team because he has huge negative defensive value.

Yea Trumbo isn't going anywhere.  As much as many will hate to hear it (we tend to really only notice what players have done most recently) he is a decent bounce back target for 2018.

He just had the worst offensive season of his career at the age of 31.  He happened to have his best season ever at the age of 30.  That could mean that he is in for a steep decline or it could mean that he is likely to perform more to his career norms next year. (Career .763 OPS)

Now if he is looking much improved around the trade deadline in 2018 and we don't need his bat that much.....then yea we should def try to move him then.

Dealing Trumbo, 31, makes sense because he's a right-handed hitter and of the players expected back for the Orioles, only first baseman Chris Davis and rookie catcher Chance Sisco are left-handed. Rule 5 outfielder Anthony Santander is a switch-hitter."

...but doesn't make sense for ANY other teams. 

Seriously, does anyone at Pressbox have any actual sources with the team or is all of their content purely hypothetical conjecture with a .00000009% chance of actually happening. 

29 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Dealing Trumbo, 31, makes sense because he's a right-handed hitter and of the players expected back for the Orioles, only first baseman Chris Davis and rookie catcher Chance Sisco are left-handed. Rule 5 outfielder Anthony Santander is a switch-hitter."

...but doesn't make sense for ANY other teams. 

Seriously, does anyone at Pressbox have any actual sources with the team or is all of their content purely hypothetical conjecture with a .00000009% chance of actually happening. 

Most Pressbox articles seem to be purely speculative.

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Most Pressbox articles seem to be purely speculative.

I'm sensing that theme. Does Orioles Hangout have any affiliation with Pressboxonline? If not, I really wish they would restrict them from spamming their content on this site. It's one thing for a random poster to speculate on trades, what the team should/will do, but I have some issues with an actual news organization doing it. It's lazy journalism IMO. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sensing that theme. Does Orioles Hangout have any affiliation with Pressboxonline? If not, I really wish they would restrict them from spamming their content on this site. It's one thing for a random poster to speculate on trades, what the team should/will do, but I have some issues with an actual news organization doing it. It's lazy journalism IMO. 

one of their writers, also is a moderator here.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Before we beat up on pressbox too much.

Look who wrote this:  Rich Dubroff, a Oriole Beat reporter.

Didn't he used to write for the Baltimore Sun?

I remember him writing for CSN (Comcast Sports).

I think that makes things even worse. He used to be an Oriole's Beat reporter and he doesn't have any connections / sources within the organization? It just seems like lazy journalism to me. You know what they say about opinions...

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I think that makes things even worse. He used to be an Oriole's Beat reporter and he doesn't have any connections / sources within the organization? It just seems like lazy journalism to me. You know what they say about opinions...

Just one of many many people in the media industry, just throwing stuff out there.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

one of their writers, also is a moderator here.

Got it. So I guess there is a connection them. That makes more sense now. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not trying to poke the bear, I just wish the people who are plugged into the organization would dig a bit deeper. Ok, stepping down off my soapbox now. 

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Got it. So I guess there is a connection them. That makes more sense now. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not trying to poke the bear, I just wish the people who are plugged into the organization would dig a bit deeper. Ok, stepping down off my soapbox now. 

You learn who you can trust for what sport they have "inside" information on, and the rest you take with a big gain of salt, and consider it almost "fake" news in some aspects.

Archived