Which 2017 Orioles could have started for the Astros or Dodgers?

mdbdotcom

Watching the Astros and Dodgers in the World Series has me wondering which of the 2017 Orioles could have started for either team (without hurting the team). What do you think?

Should the answer to this question in any way represent how far the O's must improve if they are to make it to (or beyond) a wildcard berth?

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Watching the Astros and Dodgers in the World Series has me wondering which of the 2017 Orioles could have started for either team (without hurting the team). What do you think?

Should the answer to this question in any way represent how far the O's must improve if they are to make it to (or beyond) a wildcard berth?

For the Astros - Castillo at C, Mancini at 1B, Machado at 3B (although he had a worse season than Bregman).  Bundy and Gausman would probably be multi-inning relievers on that team.  Mychal Givens, Brach, and Britton (if healthy) could have a place in the bullpen, not as closer or set-up though.

For the Dodgers - Schoop at 2B, Adam Jones or Mancini in a LF.  Bundy and Gausman would probably be multi-inning relievers on that team.  Mychal Givens, Brach, and Britton (if healthy) could have a place in the bullpen, not as closer or set-up though.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

For the Astros - Castillo at C, Mancini at 1B, Machado at 3B (although he had a worse season than Bregman).  Bundy and Gausman would probably be multi-inning relievers on that team.  Mychal Givens, Brach, and Britton (if healthy) could have a place in the bullpen, not as closer or set-up though.

For the Dodgers - Schoop at 2B, Adam Jones or Mancini in a LF.  Bundy and Gausman would probably be multi-inning relievers on that team.  Mychal Givens, Brach, and Britton (if healthy) could have a place in the bullpen, not as closer or set-up though.

Looks about right to me, although as you mentioned you could certainly argue Bregman over Machado.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:05 AM, mdbdotcom said:

No one. 

The Astros and the Dodgers had the highest combined fWAR of any World Series match-up in the 21st century, and maybe further back, I only checked that far.  The Indians and the Cubs last year was second place.

Edit: I'm back to 1988 now, still the best.  Although, if the Braves hadn't lost to the Padres in the NLCS in 1998, that would have been the strongest match-up by far (Yankees-Braves that is), but alas, the pesky Padres ruined it only to get swept.

Edit 2: Reds-Yankees in 1976 tops Astros-Dodgers 2017.  So at least by one metric, best quality of world series teams in 41 years.

31 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I was a big proponent of bringing in Morton, Reddick and Hill going the other way.

Schoop better than Forsythe.  A lot of the bullpen better than the astros pen. 

They are far superior teams.  Astros if they can afford those players should be good for awhile. 

I don't know what happened to Forsythe this season.

Archived