Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

Issue with Gamel actually is lack of position. He has been uninspiring at 3b and Braun and LaPorta will already be at the OF corners. He should be made available for SP help.

Realistic trade, in my opinion:

DCab/Roberts

for

Weeks/Gamel/Brewer

Though many will probably argue with this, I think that is excellent value for Baltimore and would make this deal in a second. I think Milwaukee would strongly consider it, too, with Gamel and Brewer both blocked.

No offense, but why in the world would you make that deal? Roberts should net you Weeks, Brewer, and a 3rd guy and DCab is worth more than just Gamel.

I'd do Roberts and Sherrill for Laporta, Weeks, Brewer, and Hall. I'm including Hall in this deal because I think he'd be a salary dump from MIL and help us net Brewer.

DCab is not really a good fit for them at this point as they are pretty well set at SP.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offense, but why in the world would you make that deal? Roberts should net you Weeks, Brewer, and a 3rd guy and DCab is worth more than just Gamel.

I'd do Roberts and Sherrill for Laporta, Weeks, Brewer, and Hall. I'm including Hall in this deal because I think he'd be a salary dump from MIL and help us net Brewer.

DCab is not really a good fit for them at this point as they are pretty well set at SP.

They are, indeed, not well set at SP. DCab can be paired pooled with Parra and Gallardo to be one of the better 1-3 in the NL for the next few years.

I think we as Orioles fans have an inflated view of Roberts value (and Cabrera's, as well).

This deal gives Baltimore potential long term solutions at 3b/2b/SS. Roberts fans (and I am certainly one) should look at his numbers at Weeks's age -- Weeks has a better tool set. Brewer is an excellent defender with a plus-arm and plus raw power. Sounds pretty fantastic to me as a future SS option. Gamel can continue to work at 3b for another season, and at worst gs shipped out to LF/1b/DH.

I just don't see Baltimore getting a Bedard- or Tejada-esque deal for Roberts or Cabrera, and they don't need it. These deals shouldn't be "restocking" deals, they should be 1 for 2s or 1 for 1s getting BAL long term, high-upside solutions.

As always, just my thoughts.

Essentially, this would mean Milwuakee giving up a former 1st round pick, their current #1 prospect, their current #7 prospect and Hall. If Baltimore can get that, fantastic. I'd take it, too. I can't imagine MIL parting with that package.

They are, indeed, not well set at SP. DCab can be paired pooled with Parra and Gallardo to be one of the better 1-3 in the NL for the next few years.

I think we as Orioles fans have an inflated view of Roberts value (and Cabrera's, as well).

This deal gives Baltimore potential long term solutions at 3b/2b/SS. Roberts fans (and I am certainly one) should look at his numbers at Weeks's age -- Weeks has a better tool set. Brewer is an excellent defender with a plus-arm and plus raw power. Sounds pretty fantastic to me as a future SS option. Gamel can continue to work at 3b for another season, and at worst gs shipped out to LF/1b/DH.

I just don't see Baltimore getting a Bedard- or Tejada-esque deal for Roberts or Cabrera, and they don't need it. These deals shouldn't be "restocking" deals, they should be 1 for 2s or 1 for 1s getting BAL long term, high-upside solutions.

As always, just my thoughts.

I understand where you're coming from. We need a SS and 3B long-term and a 2B if we deal Roberts. I just feel like if you're adding DCab to the deal, it needs to be at least 2 top prospects involved. Brewer is not even close to a sure thing, Weeks has had plenty of struggles (.210 avg.), and Gamel isn't even their top prospect. I just don't feel it's enough for BRob AND DCab.

As far as the Brewers pitching, well they have Sheets, Parra, and Suppan as their top 3. Torres has pitched very well at #4. At #5 they have Villaneuva/McClung. They could fit DCab in as the 5th pitcher, but it's far from a need and something that the Brewers probably shouldn't give up the prospects needed to get him.

Essentially, this would mean Milwuakee giving up a former 1st round pick, their current #1 prospect, their current #7 prospect and Hall. If Baltimore can get that, fantastic. I'd take it, too. I can't imagine MIL parting with that package.

It all depends on how highly the Brewers regard Weeks. If they value him almost as much as Roberts, than there would be no deal. However, I don't value him very high. I think him for Sherrill would be more than fair. We then deal Roberts for Laporta, Brewer, and Hall. Hall is basically a salary dump in the deal, so he offsets some of Brewer's value. Again, it all depends on how highly Week's value is.

I understand where you're coming from. We need a SS and 3B long-term and a 2B if we deal Roberts. I just feel like if you're adding DCab to the deal, it needs to be at least 2 top prospects involved. Brewer is not even close to a sure thing, Weeks has had plenty of struggles (.210 avg.), and Gamel isn't even their top prospect. I just don't feel it's enough for BRob AND DCab.

As far as the Brewers pitching, well they have Sheets, Parra, and Suppan as their top 3. Torres has pitched very well at #4. At #5 they have Villaneuva/McClung. They could fit DCab in as the 5th pitcher, but it's far from a need and something that the Brewers probably shouldn't give up the prospects needed to get him.

It all depends on how highly the Brewers regard Weeks. If they value him almost as much as Roberts, than there would be no deal. However, I don't value him very high. I think him for Sherrill would be more than fair. We then deal Roberts for Laporta, Brewer, and Hall. Hall is basically a salary dump in the deal, so he offsets some of Brewer's value. Again, it all depends on how highly Week's value is.

1. Sheets is a FA next year -- MIL is not paying to keep him

2. Cabrera is not an established SP and I think it's unrealistic to expect he'll command a ton in season. If he goes strong the entire year, he'll have more value in the offseason.

3. Roberts's value is down, as well.

Good discussion. Thanks.

The Brewers have a lot of middling back-of-the-rotation guys, but they most definitely could use a strong 2/3 type starter to put between Sheets and Parra/Suppan, while simultaneously pushing one of Villanueva/McClung/Bush out the back end.

Heck adding a guy like Cabrera doesn't even get them back to where they started, with Sheets + Gallardo at the front of the rotation.

The Brewers have a lot of middling back-of-the-rotation guys, but they most definitely could use a strong 2/3 type starter to put between Sheets and Parra/Suppan, while simultaneously pushing one of Villanueva/McClung/Bush out the back end.

Heck adding a guy like Cabrera doesn't even get them back to where they started, with Sheets + Gallardo at the front of the rotation.

But is it worth it to them to give up 2-3 prospects, or greatly upgrade their offer in a Roberts deal?

2. Cabrera is not an established SP and I think it's unrealistic to expect he'll command a ton in season. If he goes strong the entire year, he'll have more value in the offseason.

Good discussion. Thanks.

Cabrera is an established stater, he is not an established #1, #2, or #3 starter. Just to clarify my position. If Cabrera finishes with an AL ERA of about 3.60 and a win total of 15+, then he will indeed command a decent package. The NL loves guys like Cabrera. The AL gives big contracts to pitcher with equal or lesser ability (Gil Meche and Carlos Silva).

I do not see what Sheets has to do with Cabrera, If anything obtaining Cabrera could ease the loss of Sheets. Sheets falls into the Mark Prior, Erik Bedard, and AJ Burnett category with me. A guy with dominating stuff who can not stay on the field long enough to be a true ace.

Roberts value is down because a team would have him for half a season versus the whole season. I wasn't in love with the Cubs offer for Roberts. I thought the Orioles did the right thing by not moving him to Chicago. Chicago did the right thing by not offering more or better prospects. Roberts has diminished value, but only slightly. If the Orioles trade him, a good return will follow.

If the Orioles were going to deal pitching, I would rather it be a single arbitration eligible starter versus two or three young pitchers. Rebuilding takes 3 years, and we are a head of schedule. I wonder if AM is happy or sad that his plan is being passed by on the field outcomes. The Orioles were picked by many to win no more than 65 games. If they finish .500 or above, DT has a real shot at manager of the year. Think Joe Girardi with the Marlins.

Good discussion. Thanks.

I understand that Cabrera is not established yet, however, I feel - as many here on OH do - that he has turned the proverbial corner. If that's the case (and AM feels that way) he should not accept a subpar deal in season. Wait until the end of the season unless you get what you feel is an acceptable deal for DCab.

As far as Roberts goes, if his value is down and he's going to get less of a deal than what he could've got from the Cubs then, as far as I'm concerned, we should keep him. He's just too valuable to the Orioles as a player and in the community. The Brewers are going to have to make a good offer to get him. And that offer has to include more than just Richie Weeks.

I understand that Cabrera is not established yet, however, I feel - as many here on OH do - that he has turned the proverbial corner. If that's the case (and AM feels that way) he should not accept a subpar deal in season. Wait until the end of the season unless you get what you feel is an acceptable deal for DCab.

As far as Roberts goes, if his value is down and he's going to get less of a deal than what he could've got from the Cubs then, as far as I'm concerned, we should keep him. He's just too valuable to the Orioles as a player and in the community. The Brewers are going to have to make a good offer to get him. And that offer has to include more than just Richie Weeks.

From Rosenthal's article he's saying that BRob would not be enough for Weeks. Baltimore would have to throw in a young pitcher and a bullpen arm. His value is way down right now, but he's starting to warm up with the bat so who knows. I'd hang onto him while his value is low, as you said he's worth way more to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosLex

I'm closing in on 5,000 posts and everyone still thinks I'm full of crap.

Lex...you are full of crap! :laughlol:

:agree:Never been anyone on here MORE full of crap. ;)

(We kid Lex, we kid).

Issue with Gamel actually is lack of position. He has been uninspiring at 3b and Braun and LaPorta will already be at the OF corners. He should be made available for SP help.

Realistic trade, in my opinion:

DCab/Roberts

for

Weeks/Gamel/Brewer

Though many will probably argue with this, I think that is excellent value for Baltimore and would make this deal in a second. I think Milwaukee would strongly consider it, too, with Gamel and Brewer both blocked.

This is definitely not enough in return for the O's.

Archived