Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

I think this is a very important question that should not just be looked over. I think there are many on here that would like this answer. I am sure that there may even be a few that will help find one if there are none that are known currently.

I have had my run-ins with Dave in the past and I am sure I will again but Dave does bring some good stuff to the board as well.

Not fair to lump him in with some of the other Cubs fans that came on here and acted like morons.

He does get to homer-ish at times but so do all fans.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would be very interesting is if the Brewers want all of DCab, Sherrill and BRob.

There are so many options with the Brewers right now...The one you could see the easiest for them is Sherrill because of his salary and service time but DCab and BRob make a lot of sense for them as well.

And if the Cards get in on BRob, the Brewers may be forced to pay a little more if they really want Roberts.

My proposed trade had Dcab involved. DCab Roberts Sherrill and Burress for Escobar, Gamel, Weeks, LaPorta and Jefferess. If the Brewers are trying to win now and have soured on Weeks i dont see how its a bad trade. Roberts should net you Weeks at least. Sherrill should nab Escobar and another such as Jefferess and DCab should net Gamel and LaPorta. Burress is just icing. To me its fair. There getting a great lead off guy and nice closer and a cheap young starter under control who could turn into a ace. If im trading DCab i would want atleast LaPorta and Gamel. I think alot people tend the over value prospects. We are trading proven players, accept for maybe DCab and it looks like he is starting to turn the corner on what we all thought he could be. Sell high on all these guys. Get Young and lets really rebuild.

I have had my run-ins with Dave in the past and I am sure I will again but Dave does bring some good stuff to the board as well.

Not fair to lump him in with some of the other Cubs fans that came on here and acted like morons.

No you are right. I dont lump him in necessarily. I just remember when the Cubs-O's rumors were at the hottest..he took a lot of cheap shots at my personally that I took exception to. He may not even remember them, but it was when I was just beginning to past on here and he made me feel scared to post for awhile because he would attack anyone that said anything bad about the Cubs players. It has just always stuck with me. I agree with you though..he does have good points when he isn't getting personal and I really should let it go. It was a long time ago and it is kind of petty of me. Sorry guys.

Lateral move? Come on...You just said in another thread that Roberts is better across the board than Weeks.

As of right now, BRob is probably worth 3-4 wins more than Weeks.

Sherrill helps them greatly.

And I am not taking all of their pieces...Escobar is blocked by Hardy and they apparently have another SS prospect that Crawdad mentioned....Gamel is likely to be moved off of 3rd but they obviously can't go to first with Fielder there...Laporta has similar issues.

Weeks would obviously not be needed if BRob is there.

So, really we are talking about taking 2-3 prospects and their current everyday disappointing second baseman.

That is hardly everything especially since they apparently also have some other CI prospects that have been mentioned in this thread.

Sounds to me like the Brewers have built a very strong and deep farm system, especially in terms of position prospects and they already have a lot of young guys on the team now.

Regardless of the semantics of whether this is or isn't all of their pieces, the Brewers could get way better value for the four guys you're targeting than Roberts and Sherrill, IMO.

Weeks + 1 high-end prospect for the two O's seems way more realistic to me, and I could see them doing that. But 3 high-end prospects is extremely difficult to envision.

What I can't understand is why so many of them (other than Dave, I mean) still come to this board just to get in their licks about Roberts.

What I can't understand is why so many of them (other than Dave, I mean) still come to this board just to get in their licks about Roberts.

I agree with this too. Especially now that they seem to come back now to gloat that they didnt make the trade. We get it already! :rolleyes:

I guess my question abou all of this remains the following:

Why should the Orioles be trading the current face of the org for a player that the Brewers have soured on and I have read fans call a"complete bust."

Who are we REALLY trying to get here?

There have been 7 MLB players with the last name Brewer. None have been Brewers.

Conrad Cardinal was signed by HOU and sent to DET, but was never a Cardinal.

Joe Astroth was on the A's but retired before HOU got a team.

John Dodge was both a Philly and a Red, and Sam Dodge was a Red Sock, neither was ever a Dodger.

Tige Stone had 1 game with the Cards but none with the Tigers.

Yank Terry was a Red Sock.

On a more positive note, Dave Philly did have a couple years with the Phillies.

ps: A zillion guys were called "Red" and some of them played in Cincinnati

I agree with this too. Especially now that they seem to come back now to gloat that they didnt make the trade. We get it already! :rolleyes:

Well, at least the worst offenders (i.e., skiba7 and rynomites) wound up getting banned.

Hilarity ensued! :D

Davearm,

I just can't see how Weeks = BR....in anyone's eyes. Just because he has less serivce time? Can we trade DCab for Teixaira (not that we'd want to)? DCab is having a good year and has less service time...and a #2 starter is worth more than MT's production at 1B.

You're getting the player you want for the next year and a half while the guy coming back might have good seasons in those last two years (or he might not). Weeks is not a prospect but at the same time, you'd have to hope he got better in order to make the trade even, in which case it's not an even trade right now.

Davearm,

I just can't see how Weeks = BR....in anyone's eyes. Just because he has less serivce time? Can we trade DCab for Teixaira (not that we'd want to)? DCab is having a good year and has less service time...and a #2 starter is worth more than MT's production at 1B.

You're getting the player you want for the next year and a half while the guy coming back might have good seasons in those last two years (or he might not). Weeks is not a prospect but at the same time, you'd have to hope he got better in order to make the trade even, in which case it's not an even trade right now.

I think what you have to consider are age curves. 2B is a position that beats you up and you see an eariler degradation of ability than other less physical positions (i.e. 1B). It is rare to find a 2B after age 33 that is average. That being said Rickie Weeks is 25. He has already shown to give league average offense at 2B with below league average defense. His hitting is actually much more advanced than Roberts at this stage. Given the possibility that Weeks won't be much and that Roberts will continue his physical decline . . . you could argue that they have similar worth. Roberts has more current worth, but Weeks has more long term worth.

Archived