Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

Being under pressure to win it all doesn't equate to doing something so stupid as to spend several valuable chips to bring in a 2B that's underperforming the guy you've got there already.

Logic would suggest that come July, Hendry will go all out for the best SP on the market. Heck maybe he'll go after the two best. Hill, Pie, Colvin, Ceda, Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, etc -- everyone's available. Just not for Roberts. That page has been turned.

Some whispers that the Indians have put feelers out there for Sabathia in case they don't get back in it.

He may be the best guy to trade for since you can let him leave and recoup some talent in the draft.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is exactly why I don't understand this board. If you don't have a press credential or over 1K posts' date=' no one believes you.[/b'] Last I checked, this is a message board.

I was very glad to see this guy have his post backed up, whether he did it or now.

I'm closing in on 5,000 posts and everyone still thinks I'm full of crap. :D

so i was reading the brewers message board located on milwaukeebrewers.com and maybe were offering to much. They really want to win now and from what i gather they think roberts is a really good proven player and some are saying that we were offered 4 prospects in the cubs deal and we turned it down.

Alot of them are offering weeks, parra, and escobar for roberts.

I would def. jump all over this no questions asked!

Some whispers that the Indians have put feelers out there for Sabathia in case they don't get back in it.

He may be the best guy to trade for since you can let him leave and recoup some talent in the draft.

I agree. A 2-month rental is just fine by me, especially if the price is 50 or 75% of Johan Santana's.

I'd have Sabathia and Harden at the top of my wishlist.

If we got Bill Hall, he'd be our starting shortstop right now. I don't remember who had the stats, but he compared pretty well to what would be considered "elite" fielding shortstops. Plus there's no way he'd be worse offensively than our dynamic duo of Cintron and Bynum.

You had to have misunderstood. Hall was a butcher at SS when he played there. RZR, PECOTA, everyone has him as bad. Now, he isn't the worst, but he is bad.

Thanks for the grammar lesson. And honestly, I could care less if the Cubs or Brewers overpay for Roberts. I'm not in the business of looking out for other teams well-being.

But, I guess its unlikely, that after nearly a 100 years, HenDry isn't under any pressure to win it all. Especially after their hot start, and their murderers-row type offense they have.

Especially, since we all know, the Cubs have never had a collapse, after what seemed to be a destined WS run.

LOL. Agreed.

Something tells me both the O's and Cubs will be watching the World Series from the comfort of their homes this year. :D

You had to have misunderstood. Hall was a butcher at SS when he played there. RZR, PECOTA, everyone has him as bad. Now, he isn't the worst, but he is bad.

This is what I was talking about. I guess there are different measurements for a player's fielding ability...but the articles listed contradict the fact that he's awful...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1345551&postcount=19

But he could still be a stop gap until Escobar was ready....And taking on his big contract may aid us here.

This is what I was talking about. I guess there are different measurements for a player's fielding ability...but the articles listed contradict the fact that he's awful...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1345551&postcount=19

That is weird because I have read the exact opposite. Something to the extent that he cost the Brewers 17 runs. I thought PECOTA used Dewan . . . oh well. I guess maybe we can all say that maybe he is average. Two years away from SS have to do something to your skill to play there, though.

Being under pressure to win it all doesn't equate to doing something so stupid as to spend several valuable chips to bring in a 2B that's underperforming the guy you've got there already.

Logic would suggest that come July, Hendry will go all out for the best SP on the market. Heck maybe he'll go after the two best. Hill, Pie, Colvin, Ceda, Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, etc -- everyone's available. Just not for Roberts. That page has been turned.

I take issue with the notion that Roberts is underperforming...

2007 OPS: .809

2007 OPS+: 112

2008 OPS: .816

2008 OPS+: 121

Roberts' SB/CS rate is a little worse, but his better offensive stats more than make up for that, especially in a more hitter-friendly league (compared to last season.)

He was slumping earlier so I think his value might have been slightly depressed as a result, but he's looking just fine now...

That is weird because I have read the exact opposite. Something to the extent that he cost the Brewers 17 runs. I thought PECOTA used Dewan . . . oh well. I guess maybe we can all say that maybe he is average. Two years away from SS have to do something to your skill to play there, though.

I figured out how he ranked so high in Dewan. His efficiency is poor, but he had exceptional range. If he ages like most people do with regard to SS, his range should be reduced by about 10-15 plays. That would put him at about -5 or so. Two years away from the position . . . who knows what kind of hit that results in.

I take issue with the notion that Roberts is underperforming...

2007 OPS: .809

2007 OPS+: 112

2008 OPS: .816

2008 OPS+: 121

Roberts' SB/CS rate is a little worse, but his better offensive stats more than make up for that, especially in a more hitter-friendly league (compared to last season.)

He was slumping earlier so I think his value might have been slightly depressed as a result, but he's looking just fine now...

What I said was, Roberts is underperforming the guy you've got there already.

Roberts is at .816 OPS/121 OPS+. DeRosa is at .879/126.

RC/27: 6.4 vs. 7.4

EqA: .287 vs. .298

BABIP: .333 vs. .322

Without taking anything away from Roberts, anyone paying attention would have to acknowledge that DeRosa has been great, and Hendry would be a fool to be out looking to replace him.

This is a great post. I also think that Gamel would be hard to pry away at this point either. He's been NUTS this year....

Issue with Gamel actually is lack of position. He has been uninspiring at 3b and Braun and LaPorta will already be at the OF corners. He should be made available for SP help.

Realistic trade, in my opinion:

DCab/Roberts

for

Weeks/Gamel/Brewer

Though many will probably argue with this, I think that is excellent value for Baltimore and would make this deal in a second. I think Milwaukee would strongly consider it, too, with Gamel and Brewer both blocked.

Archived