The 100 Most Significant Dates in Modern Orioles History

SteveA

Just now, scbalt52 said:

I was even thinking bring in Ubaldo. Try to get some innings out of someone until you win the game. Why would you bring him in the 11th? If you bring him in then why didn't you bring him in when it was the 9th, 10th even before that? Why didn't you start him? The 11th is when we lost is why everyone says well I would've brought him in. I think the only arguable thing is after the runners got on maybe you scramble to get him in to 'save' the game and continue on. But if we score a run, Britton comes in and hopefully shuts the door, that is how we win the game. You have the best closer in history, we never got in a situation to use him unfortunately because the offense lost the game.

In the 9th, 10th, we were using VERY GOOD relievers who had pitched in situations exactly like that all year.   So while they aren't as good as Britton, they were very good, and there was not a dropoff.   I have no problem using those guys before Britton in a tie game.

Once we had exhausted those guys, and our choices were the best pitchers on our staff or the worst, the choice is clear to me.   Use the best.   You're right, the offense lost the game.   But it would have had a better chance to win by using our best pitcher before our worst, especially when the worst was not used to relieving.

Suppose the offense had finally gotten lucky, and gotten a single, an error, and a walk, and someone like Trumbo or Manny got a hold of a pitch for a grand slam.   Even Ubaldo could close out that situation.   But you will never find out, because we just brought in our worst pitcher and lost the game.   We'll never know if the offense would have scored eventually or not because of that decision.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In the 9th, 10th, we were using VERY GOOD relievers who had pitched in situations exactly like that all year.   So while they aren't as good as Britton, they were very good, and there was not a dropoff.   I have no problem using those guys before Britton in a tie game.

Once we had exhausted those guys, and our choices were the best pitchers on our staff or the worst, the choice is clear to me.   Use the best.   You're right, the offense lost the game.   But it would have had a better chance to win by using our best pitcher before our worst, especially when the worst was not used to relieving.

Suppose the offense had finally gotten lucky, and gotten a single, an error, and a walk, and someone like Trumbo or Manny got a hold of a pitch for a grand slam.   Even Ubaldo could close out that situation.   But you will never find out, because we just brought in our worst pitcher and lost the game.   We'll never know if the offense would have scored eventually or not because of that decision.

We were in let's get a starter in mode this might go 20 innings and in the month of September Ubaldo was one of our best pitchers, let's not forget that. If we lose in the 9th everyone would've said the same thing about bringing in Britton. We score in the 11th or later, then Britton comes in, that makes sense. We win the game, and then Buck is actually applauded for saving him. No one would've ever even thought to say wow I can't believe he didn't come in earlier that was dumb but worked out. After the game, I was like well that sucked and I didn't even think once Britton should've been in. I actually laughed at the national media talking about "Should Britton have came in?" Never dreamed it would pick up any steam. 

1 minute ago, scbalt52 said:

We were in let's get a starter in mode this might go 20 innings and in the month of September Ubaldo was one of our best pitchers, let's not forget that. If we lose in the 9th everyone would've said the same thing about bringing in Britton. We score in the 11th, then Britton comes in, that makes sense. We win the game, and then Buck is actually applauded for saving him. No one would've ever even thought to say wow I can't believe he didn't come in earlier that was dumb but worked out. After the game, I was like well that sucked and I didn't even think once Britton should've been in. I actually laughed at the national media talking about "Should Britton have came in?" Never dreamed it would pick up any steam. 

Well, you and I disagree and neither will convince the other.   I was in the game thread saying he had to come in for the 11th.   Some people wanted him earlier, and I wouldn't have been upset if he had come in and pitched earlier, but we had some great relievers pitching the 6th/7th/8th/9th/10th innings so it wasn't a problem.    I don't think this was a media creation.   I and many others on the board absolutely hated the decision and posted that on that night, before we had time to read any outside commentary.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, you and I disagree and neither will convince the other.   I was in the game thread saying he had to come in for the 11th.   Some people wanted him earlier, and I wouldn't have been upset if he had come in and pitched earlier, but we had some great relievers pitching the 6th/7th/8th/9th/10th innings so it wasn't a problem.    I don't think this was a media creation.   I and many others on the board absolutely hated the decision and posted that on that night, before we had time to read any outside commentary.

Yeah and that's fine to each his own, not saying it's a stupid theory or anything I know what you're saying. We just never got in position, to me, where I would've brought in Britton. And I think it was a media creation but I'm sure some called for him right then. As far as I'm concerned, Britton comes in early and blows the game too so its all the same xD Him starting the 11th just doesn't make sense to me. I was thinking closing situation or last pitcher, I would've used him before Davis if it was still tied I will say that.

Just now, scbalt52 said:

Yeah and that's fine to each his own, not saying it's a stupid theory or anything I know what you're saying. I just never got in position to me where I would've brought in Britton. And I think it was a media creation but I'm sure some called for him right then. As far as I'm concerned, Britton comes in early and blows the game too so its all the same xD 

What probably happens is Britton comes in and pitches a scoreless 11th and 12th, then Ubaldo comes in, our offense never scores, and Ubaldo blows it in the 13th or 14th.   But hey, we are a home run hitting team, the more at bats we get the more chance there is we run into one.   I'd use my best pitchers to keep the game going long enough to increase the chance of that happening.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Bring in the worst pitcher available instead of the best in a tie game?  You were on board with that?

Ubaldo should be the last option.   He was only on the playoff roster for the game in case Tillman got hurt in the first or second inning or something like that.

Yes, eventually if the game is still tied and your good guys can go as much as they can, of course you bring in Ubaldo then.  There's no choice.   But to do it when you have the best pitcher in baseball sitting on the bench?   Absurd.

And yes, you bring in britton, and maybe he can only go two innings.   He pitches a scoreless 11tth and 12th.   You finally score in the 13th, and yes, that means you have to bring Ubaldo in for the save.   Not a good situation.   But not as bad as bringing your worst pitcher in in a tie game in extra innings with your best pitcher sitting.  

Sorry, you can never convince me that wasn't one of the worst managerial moves ever.

Just a reminder, down the stretch Ubaldo had a 2.45 ERA in 7 starts, including 6.2 one-hit, shutout innings against the Blue Jays in his final start.   My big reservation about using him wasn’t that he was our worst pitcher, because at that particular point in the season, he wasn’t.   For me the bigger issue was that Ubaldo often takes an inning or two to settle in, and we couldn’t afford that.    But I still thought it was a reasonable call, not necessarily the one I would have made, but not the blunder of the century as some would claim.  

January 21, 2016.

Signing Chris Davis to a 161 million dollar contract made zero sense. None. Decent guy. Good fielder. Consistent hitter? Not so much. 

We recently had signed Mark Trumbo to a deal. I assumed he was the Chris Davis replacement. After all he's basically the same guy. When they outbid themselves I was flabbergasted. Thought Angelos had some kind of wacky senior moment. We could have signed a couple of pretty good starters for that money.

Two years later we see what a huge waste it was throwing all that money at Davis. Just another example of this organization shooting it's own foot and why we're viewed as a laughingstock by many.

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

January 21, 2016.

Signing Chris Davis to a 161 million dollar contract made zero sense. None. Decent guy. Good fielder. Consistent hitter? Not so much. 

We recently had signed Mark Trumbo to a deal. I assumed he was the Chris Davis replacement. After all he's basically the same guy. When they outbid themselves I was flabbergasted. Thought Angelos had some kind of wacky senior moment. We could have signed a couple of pretty good starters for that money.

Two years later we see what a huge waste it was throwing all that money at Davis. Just another example of this organization shooting it's own foot and why we're viewed as a laughingstock by many.

This date should be on SteveA’s list, but it’s his list, and we should wait until he gets there.  

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

January 21, 2016.

I had no issue with signing Davis. I think it would have brought good faith to the team. It would show fans you meant to compete. My issue was that we gave him a take or leave it offer. He left it; so we should have left and not upped it later. Secondly, we traded for Trumbo actually, I believe, and had Mancini just about ready. We weren't needy at the position. Money that should have been put into quality pitching.

It's 59 days until Orioles pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.  Here is the 59th most significant date in modern Orioles history.

#59 September 21, 2006

Over the years, fans of various teams have found ways to voice their displeasure with inept management and persistent losing.  NFL fans have worn bags over their heads, and on occasion fans have paid for billboards or airplane banners demanding that a coach or GM be fired.

But on September 21, 2006, over 1000 Oriole fans staged a protest that is unique in the history of sports.  The Orioles were headed for their 9th consecutive losing season with little hope in sight for that to change. They were on their 4th manager and 4th different GM/front office combination since Pat Gillick and Davey Johnson left.

Controversial WNST sports talkshow host Nestor Aparicio, who grew up an Oriole fan and is distantly to former Oriole Luis Aparicio, decided to organize a protest.

Called "Free the Birds", the protest was designed to try to convince Peter Angelos to sell the team, or at least to hand over the operation to baseball people and stay hands off.  Over 1000 Oriole fans sat together in the left field upper deck seats for an afternoon game against the Tigers late in a losing season, with signs and banners protesting the state of the team.

At 5:08 PM, a time chosen to represent the uniform numbers of two iconic Orioles, all those fans filed out of the left field upper deck seats and down to the lower deck.  They then walked the entire way around the ballpark in the aisle-way just in front of the lower concourse entrances, behind the box seats and in front of the terrace boxes, from left field all the way around to right field, singing "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister.   Then they headed up Eutaw Street and out the north entrance of Eutaw Street by the retired numbers.

Peter Angelos ridiculed the rally, while Mike Flanagan, a member of the front office at the time, actually spoke sympathetically about the protestors and said we all wanted the same thing.  Someone in the warehouse was in support, as a "Free the Birds" placard was sighted in at least one warehouse window.

Did the rally accomplish anything?  Probably not. But the unique demonstration by fans against their own team certainly demonstrated the passion that Oriole fans have for the team.  And, in fact, the Orioles did hire veteran baseball man Andy McPhail to run the team less than 9 months after the rally, and he was allowed to make veteran-for-prospects deals that Angelos had only allowed one other time in his tenure as owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUC69W8RG0

10 hours ago, gtman55 said:

January 21, 2016.

It's coming...

It's 58 days until Orioles pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.  Here is the 58th most significant date in modern Orioles history.

#58 September 28, 1971

On September 28, 1971, the Orioles won their 100th game of the season.  It was the 3rd consecutive year they won 100 or more games. The Orioles were only the third team in history to accomplish that feat, following the Philadelphia Athletics in 1929-1931, and the St Louis Cardinals in 1942-1944.  Obviously the feat got a little easier when the season was expanded to 162 games in 1961, but it is still a remarkable feat.  Two teams have done it since, the 1997-1999 Braves and 2002-2004 Yankees.

The Orioles won 109 games, in 1969, a total that has only been surpassed 6 times in the history of baseball.  They followed that up with a 108 win season in 1970.  They are the only team in ML history to win at least 108 games two years in a row, and the two year total of 1969-1970, of 217 wins, is second best in history behind the 1905-06 Cubs.

Finally, in 1971, the Orioles won 100 games, to complete the rare trifecta.   The 3 year total of 318 wins is also the second best in history, behind the 1905-07 Chicago Cubs who won 322.

Those amazing Orioles also swept the best-of-5 ALCS, the first three ALCS's ever played in all 3 years, sweeping the Twins 3-0 in 1969 and 1970, and the A's 3-0 in 1971.

The 335 total games (regular season and postseason combined) won by the 1969-1971 Orioles are the most total games ever won by any major league team in a 3 year span.

Many people feel those 1969-1971 Orioles teams are the best defensive teams in the history of baseball.   Pictured below are the Orioles 4 Gold Glove winners from 1969.

d1354fedd695b59308c027a65f59b2df.jpg

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's 58 days until Orioles pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.  Here is the 58th most significant date in modern Orioles history.

#58: September 28, 1971

On September 28, 1971, the Orioles won their 100th game of the season.  It was the 3rd consecutive year they won 100 or more games. The Orioles were only the third team in history to accomplish that feat, following the Philadelphia Athletics in 1929-1931, and the St Louis Cardinals in 1942-1944.  Obviously the feat got a little easier when the season was expanded to 162 games in 1961, but it is still a remarkable feat.  Two teams have done it since, the 1997-1999 Braves and 2002-2004 Yankees.

The Orioles won 109 games, in 1969, a total that has only been surpassed 6 times in the history of baseball.  They followed that up with a 108 win season in 1970.  They are the only team in ML history to win at least 108 games two years in a row, and the two year total of 1969-1970, of 217 wins, is second best in history behind the 1905-06 Cubs.

Finally, in 1971, the Orioles won 100 games, to complete the rare trifecta.   The 3 year total of 318 wins is also the second best in history, behind the 1905-07 Chicago Cubs who won 322.

Those amazing Orioles also swept the best-of-5 ALCS, the first three ALCS's ever played in all 3 years, sweeping the Twins 3-0 in 1969 and 1970, and the A's 3-0 in 1971.

The 335 total games (regular season and postseason combined) won by the 1969-1971 Orioles are the most total games ever won by any major league team in a 3 year span.

Many people feel those 1969-1971 Orioles teams are the best defensive teams in the history of baseball.   Pictured below are the Orioles 4 Gold Glove winners from 1969.

d1354fedd695b59308c027a65f59b2df.jpg

o

My late mother's 36th birthday !!!

And as I have told you all before on numerous occasions, my mother was a a lifelong Yankee fan who converted (yes, she TRULY converted) to being an Oriole fan in October of 1978, because she didn't want me to be the only Oriole fan in our family. She promised me that the Orioles would win the World Series the following season, and she was off by one game.

Also, in games in which I have made the trip from Brewster to Baltimore on that precise date (September 28th), the Orioles have an astonishing record of amazing comeback wins:

o

September 28th of 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

September 28th of 2011:  ) Again, down to their final out, the Orioles trailed the Red Sox 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th with Jonathan Papelbon on the mound. The Red Sox fans that were still at the park were going crazy, chanting, "Let's go, Red Sox!" Chris Davis kept the Orioles alive with a double up the right-field line. Nolan Reimold (down to his final strike) then hit a ground-rule double to tie the game. Then, Robert Andino hit an RBI-single to leftfield to win the game. The Orioles KO'd the Red Sox from the playoffs. )  :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201109280.shtml

September 28th of 2012: ) No last-minute comebacks this time, but just as enjoyable. After a brief scare in the top of the first inning when the Red Sox etched out an unearned run off of Chris Tillman, the Orioles immediately exploded for 6 runs in the bottom half of the inning and coasted to a 9-1 victory for the 90th win of the season, subsequently keeping pace for the division title by staying only 1 game behind the Yankees.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201209280.shtml

September 28th of 2013: ) Yet ANOTHER stirring, late-inning comeback.

With a winning season already in their pockets and no chance for a postseason berth, the Orioles were playing for pride.

Trailing the eventual World Champion Red Sox by a score of 5-4 in the bottom of the 8th inning, Steve Pearce doubled home both Matt Wieters and Danny Valencia, giving the Orioles the 6-5 lead.

Jimmy Johnson came in in the top of the 9th inning to close it out, and keep intact the Orioles' undefeated record at OPACY when I am at the game (4-0.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201309280.shtml

o

It's 57 days until Orioles pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.  Here is the 57th most significant date in modern Orioles history.

#57 December 18, 2003

The Orioles had suffered through 6 consecutive losing seasons but they had a whole slew of promising pitchers between the ages of 23 and 27:  Sidney Ponson, Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera, Matt Riley, and John Parrish.

So the front office duo of Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan decided that they needed to add some bats to back the young arms and give new manager Lee Mazzilli some talent that predecessors Miller and Hargrove had lacked.  In a 4 week period beginning on December 18, 2003, they signed 3 significant free agent bats and vigorously pursued another.

First, on December 18, they signed shortstop Miguel Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP and one of the best all around players in baseball, to a 6 year $72 million contract.  On January 6, they signed Atlanta's slugging catcher Javy Lopez to a 3 year, $22.5 million deal.  They also pursued Expo superstar Vladimir Guererro, who was one of the top players in all of baseball, but on January 11 Guerrero signed a big deal with the Angels; the Orioles and Mets were runners-up for his services.

Unable to get Guerrero, the Orioles brought back veteran former Oriole Rafael Palmeiro, who was 39 years old and in pursuit of 3000 hits.  A year later they would add yet another slugger, Sammy Sosa.

This was the 3rd big multi-free agent spending spree in Oriole history: in 1985 the Orioles took their first big dip into the free agent pool with Lee Lacy, Fred Lynn, and Don Aase, but that turned out to be a failure.  Then the early 90s acquisitions of Alomar, Palmeiro, Bonilla, and others led to back to back ALCS appearances.

How would the spending spree in the winter of 2003-4 compare?   In 2004 the Orioles improved their record by 7 games to 78-84, and they had high hopes for even more improvement in 2005 and they started that season strong.  But it all came crashing down with Palmeiro's steroid suspension; the 2005 Orioles would win only 74 games and Lee Mazzilli wouldn't survive the season.  2005 began a remarkable streak of 6 consecutive years of declining records, tying the ML record set by the Brooklyn Superbas over a century earlier (and the Superbas prefaced their 6 consecutive seasons of decline with a 101 win season...the Orioles are the only team in history to start with a LOSING record and THEN get worse for each of 6 consecutive seasons).

palmeiro-lopez.jpg

It's 56 days until Orioles pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.  Here is the 56th most significant date in modern Orioles history.

#56 October 3, 2014

The 2014 Orioles won the AL East for the first time since the 1997 team that went wire to wire in first place.  The Orioles squared off against the Detroit Tigers in the best of 5 ALDS.   The Orioles had lost the ALDS to the Yankees two years earlier.

The first game was a tight battle, Chris Tillman squaring off against Max Scherzer.  It was a tight game into the bottom of the 8th, with the Orioles hanging on to a 4-3 lead.  But then the biggest difference between the two teams came into play, as Baltimore had one of the best bullpens in baseball while Detroit's was poor.  A one out double by Alejandro De Aza chased Scherzer.  The Orioles then blasted the Tigers' relief trio of Joba Chamberlain, Joakim Soria, and Phil Coke for 8 runs and a resounding 12-3 Oriole victory.

Game 2, on October 3, saw the Orioles facing another ace caliber pitcher as Justin Verlander opposed Wei Yin Chen.  The Tigers' strong bats chased Chen with a 5 run 4th inning and Detroit took a 5-3 lead into the bottom of the 8th.  Verlander had gone 6 innings and Anibal Sanchez 2.  Once again, Joba Chamberlain came out of the Tiger pen, the sellout crowd had hopes for a miracle but it was a steep hill to climb.  Chamberlain retired De Aza to start the inning, and at this point the Orioles' win probability was just 5%.

Chamberlain hit Adam Jones with a pitch, and Nelson Cruz singled.  Steve Pearce singled to make it 6-4.  Soria replaced Chamberlain, and walked JJ Hardy to load the bases.

Delmon Young stepped to the plate.  Young had been a solid free agent pickup, hitting .302 in 255 at bats as a DH and occasional iron-gloved outfielder.  Young lined a ball into the left field corner for a hit.  Cruz and Pearce singled to tie the game, and slow footed JJ Hardy raced around from first base.  JD Martinez came up with the ball and relayed it to Ian Kinsler, who gunned a throw to the plate that was just a bit to the catcher's right.  Hardy slid outside and his hand brushed the plate just a fraction of a second before the tag, and the Orioles had the lead!  The crowd went insane, most people believe it is the loudest that Camden Yards has ever gotten.

The O's pen, of course, made it stand up in the 9th, and the 7-6 win put the Orioles up 2 games to 0.  Two days later, the Orioles faced David Price, their 3rd consecutive ace level pitcher, but on that day Bud Norris was better and the Orioles won 2-1 to sweep the series.

It wasn't a happy ending in 2014, as the Royals shut down the Orioles bats in a 4 game sweep in the ALCS.  But 2014 still marks the high water mark for the Orioles in the past two decades, a sweep of the ALDS keyed by one of the most electrifying moments in Oriole history, and a trip to the ALCS.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a9cvL2ZVAU

Archived