Mancini is a ROY finalist

Frobby

11 hours ago, Since'54 said:

The Birds who were rookie of the year as position players during that time frame:

Cal Ripken                 1982                .264 BA

Eddie Murray             1977                .283 BA

Al Bumbry                  1973                .337 BA    

Curt Blefary               1965                .260 BA

Ron Hansen               1960               .255 BA

So Trey compares pretty well, even to the great Eddie Murray  -- despite the fact that he is disparaged daily on this site because he was not a prospect!

I like Trey but I don't think he compares to Eddie Murray in any way. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Several reasons why Judge wont put up numbers like 2017 in 2018. A .357 babip is crazy high for a guy who hits 43.2% flyballs, the contact type that should result in the lowest babip. 35.6% HR/FB is absolutely unprecedented, 25% sure, but 35% is just ridiculous. Lastly, his body type isn't the kind that holds up to sprinting around in the old field year after year. Sooner or later that size is going to catch up with him.

What's wrong with a tall outfielders? I don't know his size. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

But what body type is he?  The kid's a physical freak - not a stiff guy like Dunn.  If there's one body to compare him to, it's Dave Winfield's.      

You are right, in that Winfield was tall, but I'm pretty sure that he was considerably more slender in his early years than Judge is.  Remember, he was an All-American basketball player at Minnesota.  BB-ref lists Winfield at 6-6, 220 and Judge at 6-7, 282.  Pretty big difference there.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Howard was also a full time player at 23, two full seasons earlier than Judge.  He also started playing games at first at 30 and ended his career as a DH.

Back in 58, I dont believe the minor league system in MLB was very developed.

Howard was ROY in 61.

He also played 4 games at 1st in 68 at 30.

At 31 in 69, he played 55 games there and the rest in the OF.

He only played 73 games at DH, he very final season at 36.

So taking the DH, he still had a pretty decent full-time career from 61 to 72.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Back in 58, I dont believe the minor league system in MLB was very developed.

Howard was ROY in 61.

He also played 4 games at 1st in 68 at 30.

At 31 in 69, he played 55 games there and the rest in the OF.

He only played 73 games at DH, he very final season at 36.

So taking the DH, he still had a pretty decent full-time career from 61 to 72.

Howard had a 16 year career.  The first two, at 21 and 22 hardly count as he only played 17 games total.  His last two seasons he played 99 games total.  So basically he had 12 year career as an everyday player.  I don't think that qualifies as especially long. 

And Judge is starting two years later.

Now I do think he is going to have a nice career, but I wouldn't be shocked if he only plays 10 full seasons.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Howard had a 16 year career.  The first two, at 21 and 22 hardly count as he only played 17 games total.  His last two seasons he played 99 games total.  So basically he had 12 year career as an everyday player.  I don't think that qualifies as especially long. 

And Judge is starting two years later.

Now I do think he is going to have a nice career, but I wouldn't be shocked if he only plays 10 full seasons.

12 years and almost 400 home runs.

How many players would accept that?

Boog under your criteria, played full time for 13 years.

That was a different era, players travel better, take care of their body better, and train during the off-season.

During an amazing one-week stretch in the spring of 1968 (May 12–18), Howard hammered 10 home runs in 20 at bats, with at least one in six consecutive games; his 10 home runs are also the most ever in one week. He would go on to hit 13 homers in 16 games, a mark that still stands, matched only by Albert Belle in 1995.

Of all the home run hitters to have played since 1968, amazing that only Belle was able to tie the record.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

12 years and almost 400 home runs.

How many players would accept that?

Boog under your criteria, played full time for 13 years.

That was a different era, players travel better, take care of their body better, and train during the off-season.

Of all the home run hitters to have played since 1968, amazing that only Belle was able to tie the record.

So now we have gone from "very long" to "how many players would accept that".

Goalposts moved.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So now we have gone from "very long" to "how many players would accept that".

Goalposts moved.

Nope, goalposts not removed.

But, I do believe the adjective "very" should not have been used, so I do concede your point there.

Yes, Frank and Boog had nice long careers, just not "very" long, 10+ years as a daily starter and important member of a team, should be consider long.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

But, I do believe the adjective "very" should not have been used, so I do concede your point there.

Yes, Frank and Boog had nice long careers, just not "very" long, 10+ years as a daily starter and important member of a team, should be consider long.

OK, we are now in agreement.

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

When did MLB start 162 season games? I was under the impression that in the 1950's they played 145 games. 

Archived