O’s Awarded the 33rd Pick

Frobby

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

I'd trade it if it helped get Davis out of here.

Going to need some bounce back for Davis, and then some money will probably have to be eaten for that to work.  The pick is worth about 13-15 million though, so it's a legit asset.  If someone thinks Trumbo is a 1 WAR player going forward it'd be enough to offload his negative value.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think they hit Jones with a QO?

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I wouldn't risk it as long as the team's outfield prospects (Stewart, Hays, Mullins) have a solid 2018.  He'd have to have a near 2015 like season to be in the position to turn a QO down.  

I’d probably risk it if he repeated his 2017 season (2.5 rWAR, 1.7 fWAR).    That’s just about worth the QO, and I’d be very surprised if he took it rather than testing his value on the open market.   I’d also make it crystal clear to Jones that if he returns, he’s going to be a corner OF.

Just now, Frobby said:

I’d probably risk it if he repeated his 2017 season (2.5 rWAR, 1.7 fWAR).    That’s just about worth the QO, and I’d be very surprised if he took it rather than testing his value on the open market.   I’d also make it crystal clear to Jones that if he returns, he’s going to be a corner OF.

That makes sense, although I'd like to see him in a corner spot in 2018 some to see how he adjusts to it.

10 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

That makes sense, although I'd like to see him in a corner spot in 2018 some to see how he adjusts to it.

I have a feeling that the O’s would displace Jones for Mullins (who doesn’t have the arm for RF), but not for Hays.

Honestly, I don’t really want Jones on the team after 2018, especially if Hays and Mullins progress well next year.    But I’d just take the risk he’d refuse the QO.

16 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Angelos wouldn't let him move it. It would have to be an extraordinary deal. That's like an extra No.1 pick. Duquette is a lame duck GM. Peter and John will be keeping close tabs on him.

Sounds like you have some insider insight?

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Angelos wouldn't let him move it. It would have to be an extraordinary deal. That's like an extra No.1 pick. Duquette is a lame duck GM. Peter and John will be keeping close tabs on him.

So the Norris deal was an "extraordinary" deal?  Or has something changed?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the Norris deal was an "extraordinary" deal?  Or has something changed?

By birdwatcher55’s logic, what has changed is that DD is a lame duck coming off a losing season, rather than a guy who just signed a contract extension coming off the tesm’s first playoff appearance in 15 years.   So, he doesn’t get the same amount of rope.    But I’m not sure I see Angelos putting the brakes on a “win now” move.  

16 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Apologies if this has been answered already.  But wouldn't this pick fall back to 42 if the QO guys sign elsewhere?

It can move back, every team that receives revenue sharing that loses a QO free agent who signs for over 50million would get a pick after round 1 and before the comp. balance A.

Its kind of stupidly complicated.

The lowest it could go is 39.

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM, crawjo said:

Why would the Giants want Trumbo at all?

“We really need a big bopper in that lineup, just to take the pressure off everybody else.’’  --Giants Manager Bruce Bochy

Maybe they believe Trumbo would fill the role of the big bopper.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Both number 11 and number 33 picks are protected if the team signs any qualified free agents. Unless the Orioles trade the 33rd pick. 

Yes, but what I was saying is the 33rd could drop as low as 39th and is sure to drop some as team's QO free agents are signed and the team that lost them gets compensation picks (which come before the competive balance round A).

22 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yes, but what I was saying is the 33rd could drop as low as 39th and is sure to drop some as team's QO free agents are signed and the team that lost them gets compensation picks (which come before the competive balance round A).

Thanks for that explanation. 

Archived