Jhoulys Chacin for the rotation?

Bradysburns

I don't know much about this guy. But he's had some excellent MLB years, is still fairly young... and had a solid season last year. 

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/jhoulys-chacin-7307/

He pitched 180 innings to a 3.89 ERA last year in the National League... on a one-year, $1.75 million contract. 

I'd look at signing him for 3/$33 and see what happens. Thoughts? 

That's too much, imo.  2 years at most.  His last good year before 2017 was 2013.  Just as his stats were hurt when he pitched for Colorado, I think his stats were helped by pitching in SD.  Otoh, he does have a nice changeup - it might be useful for the O's young pitchers to learn from him there.      

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

San Diego is a nice place to live and an even better place to pitch.   1.79 Home ERA.  6.53 on the road.     Ouch!!!!

Great pull, man. That is scary. I wonder how his skills would translate... 

It appears his fastball touches 95, and he's apparently got a good sinker. So there's reason for hope. But that away ERA is Ubaldo-esque. 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

That's too much, imo.  2 years at most.  His last good year before 2017 was 2013.  Just as his stats were hurt when he pitched for Colorado, I think his stats were helped by pitching in SD.  Otoh, he does have a nice changeup - it might be useful for the O's young pitchers to learn from him there.      

You're probably right - it would be an overpay. I get excited when I'm spending OPM. Still... these are the kinds of imperfect-yet-potential-filled signings the Orioles need to make. We're clearly not landing Yu Darvish, unless Dan's on the eggnog again (and I hope he is if it leads to a Darvish signing). Of the middling options, reclamation projects and Hail Marys on the market... I'd put Jhoulys in the upper half, based on the Internet. 

1 minute ago, Bradysburns said:

You're probably right - it would be an overpay. I get excited when I'm spending OPM. Still... these are the kinds of imperfect-yet-potential-filled signings the Orioles need to make. We're clearly not landing Yu Darvish, unless Dan's on the eggnog again (and I hope he is if it leads to a Darvish signing). Of the middling options, reclamation projects and Hail Marys on the market... I'd put Jhoulys in the upper half, based on the Internet. 

I agree with you.  That's the situation the O's have got themselves into.  Whoever we get will probably not get most of us excited.  Sounds like my last night out.  <drumroll please>

He'd be an okay backup plan as a backend starter after guys like Cashner, Chatwood, and Vargas. Also I definitely wouldn't give him 3/33 or even two years. I probably wouldn't even be happy to see a 1/11. As I'm typing this I'm realizing I really hope the Orioles don't sign the guy at all.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

1 year, 2.5 million.

50% career ground ball, 30% fly ball (with 10% of that being infield fly balls) with a 2.13 k/bb ratio and a 75% left on base ratio. Though last year he gave up a second career high 19 home runs. 

True on homers, but his HR *rate* was exactly his career average: 0.9 per 9 innings. I suspect he'll command a lot more money than that, unless I'm missing something. Guys cash in on career years all the time. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I agree with you.  That's the situation the O's have got themselves into.  Whoever we get will probably not get most of us excited.  Sounds like my last night out.  <drumroll please>

Even Dan's "splash" signings haven't been exciting. Chris Davis, for example... I just remember thinking, "Wow, he seems like a nice guy and I'm glad he's making all that money... but really?" Thing is, when the Orioles were winning, they were doing it with pitching and defense, with the occasional home run. The old Earl Weaver formula. Now they don't have elite defense, and their starting pitching is a hellscape of inconsistency and general underperformance. The occasional home runs don't matter as much when you're giving up 8 runs a game, etc. 

My point: I hope we get RE-focused this offseason on pitching and defense. I'd rather watch a defensively brilliant team with so-so offense than a sloppy, slugging team. They really need to spend on pitching OR trade Manny this offseason. There's no point in keeping Manny if you're not going to spend on pitching, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

1 year, 2.5 million.

50% career ground ball, 30% fly ball (with 10% of that being infield fly balls) with a 2.13 k/bb ratio and a 75% left on base ratio. Though last year he gave up a second career high 19 home runs. 

You're discounting his age (i.e., he's still young). He's definitely going to get more than 1 year deal. 

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM, RZNJ said:

San Diego is a nice place to live and an even better place to pitch.   1.79 Home ERA.  6.53 on the road.     Ouch!!!!

There has been discussion and conjecture that newly constructed buildings beyond left field have changed the ballpark's aerodynamics, making it less of a pitcher's park than it had been previously.

Despite that  information, those splits scare me away.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:11 PM, Bradysburns said:

Even Angelos' "splash" signings haven't been exciting. Chris Davis, for example... I just remember thinking, "Wow, he seems like a nice guy and I'm glad he's making all that money... but really?"

It's the Orioles. The Ooze.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:58 PM, Bradysburns said:

Great pull, man. That is scary. I wonder how his skills would translate... 

It appears his fastball touches 95, and he's apparently got a good sinker. So there's reason for hope. But that away ERA is Ubaldo-esque. 

I'd much rather have him than Tillman. I'd like DD to bring him in but for a year. See if he'd sign for a year.

Archived