Could John Hart be our GM in waiting?

mdbdotcom

1 hour ago, weams said:

I am sure there is an agreement for him not to return to the game, even if someone were stupid enough to employ him after this horrific scandal. 

"Rick, I am shocked, shocked to learn there is gambling going on here."

"Your winnings, sir."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 24fps said:

I doubt that DD thinks Baltimore is a good fit anymore.  He's thoroughly resurrected his career and I wouldn't want be anywhere nearby the minute his contract expires for fear of being run over on his way out of town.  There may not be any openings the precise minute he's free to look elsewhere, but there's no longer any question that he's a credible GM candidate.

Really? I believe your overvaluing how much success Duquette has had here. Do you think the baseball world doesn't know what he inherited? You don't think they see the putrid starting pitcher signings? Pulling literally a couple retreads out of nowhere does not make you a credible candidate. 

With the most passion I can drum up, I hope that Duquette is not resigned. 2015 alone was so bad that you saying he "resurrected his career", is a scary sentiment for his next team, if an organization makes that mistake.

32 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Read in MASN forum that Duquette has made 15 trades since he's been here and in 11 cases the players are no longer here. 

It would be interesting to know what’s typical over a 6-year stretch, in terms of guys coming in trades and then leaving again.   It’s certainly wrong that Duquette has only made 11 trades.  Just in mid-season and deadline deals alone he’s done (off the top of my head) Thome, Saunders, Feldman, Norris, KRod, Hundley, Miller, De Aza,  Parra, Bourn, Pearce, Hellickson and Beckham.  Offseason he’s done Eveland, Hammel/Lindstrom, Brach, Snider,  Despaigne, Trumbo, Smith, Bleier, Castro and Asher.  That’s already 23 trades involving 24 incoming players without thinking too hard about it, and 19 of those players are gone.   There have been other trades besides these ones that have brought back minor league players rather than major leaguers, and I’m sure other trades for major leaguers I’m forgetting.  

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

John Hart is 69 years old, I would prefer someone younger.  At this point in his career, Hart is is more likely to retire then look for another team to run.  I might consider Hart and a younger protege to run the day to day operations.  

Isn't that what Atlanta did?

1 hour ago, twinedenter said:

Really? I believe your overvaluing how much success Duquette has had here. Do you think the baseball world doesn't know what he inherited? You don't think they see the putrid starting pitcher signings? Pulling literally a couple retreads out of nowhere does not make you a credible candidate. 

With the most passion I can drum up, I hope that Duquette is not resigned. 2015 alone was so bad that you saying he "resurrected his career", is a scary sentiment for his next team, if an organization makes that mistake.

The "baseball world" as you put it seems fine with Andy MacPhail who hasn't been General Manager of an MLB team that's won as many as 70 games since 2001.  That boils down to 7.5 seasons and counting.  But it still makes sense that he has a job, because the real baseball world for General Managers consists of 30 individuals who have to be personally comfortable with the leader of their respective franchises and if MacPhail is anything, it's comfortable.  Like an old shoe.

That Duquette's made a couple of signings that don't live up to your standards will be a small (and I really mean tiny) fraction of the overall evaluation process.  His business record and his vision for solving the specific problems his next employer will present him with will count for much more.  The Orioles have been successful during Duquette's tenure after a long, long dry spell and nobody is going to go to the trouble of concocting some convoluted theory as to why it's really all smoke and mirrors.  Whether you like it or not, he's resurrected his career and then some.

That being said, IMO staying in Baltimore only puts his current credibility at risk.  Time for Dan to saddle up and hit the trail if he knows what's good for him.

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The "baseball world" as you put it seems fine with Andy MacPhail who hasn't been General Manager of an MLB team that's won as many as 70 games since 2001.  That boils down to 7.5 seasons and counting.  But it still makes sense that he has a job, because the real baseball world for General Managers consists of 30 individuals who have to be personally comfortable with the leader of their respective franchises and if MacPhail is anything, it's comfortable.  Like an old shoe.

That Duquette's made a couple of signings that don't live up to your standards will be a small (and I really mean tiny) fraction of the overall evaluation process.  His business record and his vision for solving the specific problems his next employer will present him with will count for much more.  The Orioles have been successful during Duquette's tenure after a long, long dry spell and nobody is going to go to the trouble of concocting some convoluted theory as to why it's really all smoke and mirrors.  Whether you like it or not, he's resurrected his career and then some.

That being said, IMO staying in Baltimore only puts his current credibility at risk.  Time for Dan to saddle up and hit the trail if he knows what's good for him.

All Duquette has done is reap the benefits of the balls that Andy MacPhail put in motion. Nelson Cruz completely fell into his lap and any kudos for the Mark Trumbo trade should be negated by the fact that he then signed him to a two year deal after, thereby somewhat blocking young players such as Trey Mancini, Chance Sisco, etc. That money should have been spent on starting pitching. And I personally think he should have been fired after the Blue Jays debacle. 

Duquette's biggest flaw is his inability to react quickly to anything. Slow and deliberate does not win the race in the world of MLB. Not in this day and age. I'm hoping the next person they hire is a 30 something millennial who is plugged into the ever growing young GM community. 

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

All Duquette has done is reap the benefits of the balls that Andy MacPhail put in motion. Nelson Cruz completely fell into his lap and any kudos for the Mark Trumbo trade should be negated by the fact that he then signed him to a two year deal after, thereby somewhat blocking young players such as Trey Mancini, Chance Sisco, etc. That money should have been spent on starting pitching. And I personally think he should have been fired after the Blue Jays debacle. 

Duquette's biggest flaw is his inability to react quickly to anything. Slow and deliberate does not win the race in the world of MLB. Not in this day and age. I'm hoping the next person they hire is a 30 something millennial who is plugged into the ever growing young GM community. 

I could blame DD for many things, but being slow to react is an organizational issue that precedes him by many years and IMO is a function of how PA oversees the front office’s activities.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I could blame DD for many things, but being slow to react is an organizational issue that precedes him by many years and IMO is a function of how PA oversees the front office’s activities.   

Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown

9 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm all for a young forward thinking GM, but my question is whether PA would give a guy like that the authority he needs to do his job.  There are many reports that there are competing power centers in the warehouse now, to the point that anything that is a big move is going to have Buck, Brady, etc tugging PA's ear rather than it going through the GM like I think it should.

John Hart and Buck are very good friends. I know this because I actually know John a bit. He and his family live here in Orlando and he has spoken on a few occasions of his great respect for Buck as a friend and baseball man. He’s as fine a man as there is in baseball and I find it difficult to believe he had any real involvement in the scandal. I would love to see him come back to the Orioles, the first organization to employ him.

That said, I wonder if he really wants to work full time in baseball as a GM. I do not in any way speak for him. I have not seen him in several months, but I wonder if that is in the cards for him. But I would love to see him in the front office in some capacity. 

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

John Hart and Buck are very good friends. I know this because I actually know John a bit. He and his family live here in Orlando and he has spoken on a few occasions of his great respect for Buck as a friend and baseball man. He’s as fine a man as there is in baseball and I find it difficult to believe he had any real involvement in the scandal. I would love to see him come back to the Orioles, the first organization to employ him.

That said, I wonder if he really wants to work full time in baseball as a GM. I do not in any way speak for him. I have not seen him in several months, but I wonder if that is in the cards for him. But I would love to see him in the front office in some capacity. 

I'd forgotten that John Hart was the O's third base coach at one time when Frank Robinson managed the team.

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd forgotten that John Hart was the O's third base coach at one time when Frank Robinson managed the team.

He also managed in the minors for the O’s for 5-6 years before that. He was a high school baseball coach at Boone HS here in Orlando before that. He had a dream rise to his career. 

Archived