O's in discussions with Cubs, Almora Jr appears to be the target.

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Of course it was. And A year of a reliever does not bring back a good starter. Especially when he is so expensive. 

Yep. And that's what makes this Britton for Almora deal attractive. We get a nice bump defensively in the OF and a nice bump to the wallet in our search for a couple of FA starters.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

A deal for Almora with Britton makes some sense.    I don’t think trading Gausman makes any sense at all.

I’m not super-high on Almora, just because he isn’t really a plus on the bases and his defense is better than Jones, but not spectacular.    He’s been worth 1.8 rWAR, 2.1 fWAR in slightly more than a full season of games.    I guess at 24 (next season) there’s room to grow, but he seems more like a decent starting CF than a rising star.    Still, not a bad get for one year of a closer who’s had some injuries.

If we had to throw in some more value to make this trade, maybe we send them Mullins and they send us some lesser piece?    There’s not much need for Mullins if Almora’s here for 5 years.    

I think Britton + Mullins for Almora and a low value throw in sounds about right.  Maybe one of their rule 5 guys who would be good enough for the O's 40 man (Charcer Burks or Trevor Clifton perhaps).

What if we find a team that will trade a legitimate starter for Mancini?  Then you are basically trading Britton for a starter and better OF defense.

At first glance, I don't see it for the Cubs.  But I guess they want to try to get Schwarber and Happ in the lineup together.

50 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

What if we find a team that will trade a legitimate starter for Mancini?  Then you are basically trading Britton for a starter and better OF defense.

At first glance, I don't see it for the Cubs.  But I guess they want to try to get Schwarber and Happ in the lineup together.

I think the Orioles can get starter for Mancini.  Whether it's a legitimate starter depends on what you mean by legitimate.  They could get an above average starter who is near free agency (Like JA Happ) or they could get a backend guy who is controllable (like Chad Kuhl), or they could get a guy who is not quite MLB ready yet but has mid-rotation or better upside (like Justus Sheffield) .

FWIW, the Cubs front office has loved Gausman for a long time. They think it’s all the O’s fault that he isn’t already a TOR starter.

I can’t see the Cubs moving Almora for one year of Britton and I can’t see the O’s moving Gausman. This smells like the Cubs trying to negotiate for Gausman in the news.

I think there is plenty of room on this team for Jones, Mancini, Hays, and Almora even with Trumbo as DH.

Hays and Almora are not every day starters at this point. They’re both young, and under team control, can split time in CF. Plus Trumbo is out after this season and you move Mancini there in 2019.

If Britton can net Almora right now, you make the move. You can’t wait. Depth of young talented outfield starters is not a bad thing.

I see absolutely no reason why the O's would even begin to think about trading Gausman. The rotation is a dumpster fire in the making and the only way it makes sense to trade away any chance at a decent starter is if they're fighting for the #1 pick in the 2019 draft. Britton is a whole different story but the Gausman talk has got to be a joke.

15 minutes ago, oriole said:

I see absolutely no reason why the O's would even begin to think about trading Gausman. The rotation is a dumpster fire in the making and the only way it makes sense to trade away any chance at a decent starter is if they're fighting for the #1 pick in the 2019 draft. Britton is a whole different story but the Gausman talk has got to be a joke.

They probably aren't considering trade Gausman.  If there is anything to this rumor, it makes sense that the Cubs would ask about players they liked, Gausman included. 

Consider the source of the rumor, it's not Orioles beat reporters floating trading Gausman, it's a local Chicago site, and the rumor hasn't been picked up by any beat reporters or national baseball people.

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think there is plenty of room on this team for Jones, Mancini, Hays, and Almora even with Trumbo as DH.

Hays and Almora are not every day starters at this point. They’re both young, and under team control, can split time in CF. Plus Trumbo is out after this season and you move Mancini there in 2019.

If Britton can net Almora right now, you make the move. You can’t wait. Depth of young talented outfield starters is not a bad thing.

Trumbo is not a free agent until after the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Why make this move when you have Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Santander and Mancini? Go for pitching with the cubs 

I don't think the Orioles trade Gausman unless they decide to unload. I do not think based on the article that the Cubs will be trading pitching either.

7 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Why make this move when you have Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Santander and Mancini? Go for pitching with the cubs 

You make this move because Jones is a FA after next season. Mancini is not an OF. 

2019 OF

CF: Almora

RF: Hays

LF: Mullins, Stewart, Santander

DH: Mancini

By adding Almora, we only have to hit on 2/4 of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart. 

Trade Britton for the best possible deal and then that determines what you do next. Realistically, the SP is only coming from FA. Plus this is a move that makes us better now, and in the future. 

I agree with the poster that this story/rumor is just from a fan site; and nowhere near the quality of this fan site. 

Archived