Cubs target again?

Thats Baseball

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Why would they do this? He's under team control for a few more years, and having a giant hole at SS after Manny leaves in FA would be stupid. 

Addison Russell is their SS.  He's under control for a few more years.  Happ would play 2B.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Machado and Britton for Almora and Baez.  All about winning in the playoffs for Cubbies.  This year.

This isn't enough IMO. Even with him under control for only one more year, I think you're really underestimating Machado's value. Baez is an exciting, but flawed offensive player. There's a reason he hasn't been able to crack the Cub's starting lineup for the last few years. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This isn't enough IMO. Even with him under control for only one more year, I think you're really underestimating Machado's value. Baez is an exciting, but flawed offensive player. There's a reason he hasn't been able to crack the Cub's starting lineup for the last few years. 

Agree with this.   We'd have to get more for Machado and Britton.

7 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Why would they do this? He's under team control for a few more years, and having a giant hole at SS after Manny leaves in FA would be stupid. 

As long as they retain either Baez or Russell they'd have a replacement for Machado. They'd also have a year to woo him and the money to offer him a large contract. It actually makes quite a bit of sense to me, especially if Britton's included. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

As long as they retain either Baez or Russell they'd have a replacement for Machado. They'd also have a year to woo him and the money to offer him a large contract. It actually makes quite a bit of sense to me, especially if Britton's included. 

I still fail to see how the cubs lineup looks this year when you factor in Happ, Baez, Russell, etc. There’s going to be someone playing in LF and CF. The question is who will be doing it? 

Pass on Russell, and Baez and Almora wouldn't be enough for Machado and Britton IMO. Maybe add a pitching prospect to the deal and I'd be all for it.

I have to admit bringing back Baez and Almora would certainly help the retooling of the roster without having to go full blown rebuild after this season if Duquette just lets Manny walk for the comp pick.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I still fail to see how the cubs lineup looks this year when you factor in Happ, Baez, Russell, etc. There’s going to be someone playing in LF and CF. The question is who will be doing it? 

I'm advocating the Orioles trading Manny FOR either Baez for Russell so they wouldn't have all three players. For example, if the Orioles trade Machado an Britton for a package of Russell and other players... 

This season, Machado plays SS, Happ plays 2b, Heyward, Schwarber, and Zobrist play the OF with Baez resuming his role as a super utility player. 

Next season, if Manny walks, Baez shifts to SS full time and they sign  a FA OF or promote from within. 

38 minutes ago, billw76 said:

Pass on Russell, and Baez and Almora wouldn't be enough for Machado and Britton IMO. Maybe add a pitching prospect to the deal and I'd be all for it.

I have to admit bringing back Baez and Almora would certainly help the retooling of the roster without having to go full blown rebuild after this season if Duquette just lets Manny walk for the comp pick.

Can you shed some light why you'd pass on one of the best young SS' in the game? 

And for those writing him off because of his alleged spousal abuse have you looked into the story? Probably best to get all the facts before you crucify the man. And in no way shape or form am I defending what he did, if he is guilty. I'm just saying that I would personally need to educate myself before I formed an opinion, and would hope you all do the same. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Can you shed some light why you'd pass on one of the best young SS' in the game? 

And for those writing him off because of his alleged spousal abuse have you looked into the story? Probably best to get all the facts before you crucify the man. And in no way shape or form am I defending what he did, if he is guilty. I'm just saying that I would personally need to educate myself before I formed an opinion, and would hope you all do the same. 

If the package includes Machado I'd rather get Baez and have him play 3B with Beckham at SS and Schoop at 2B. That should keep the IF fairly solid without leaving another hole to fill at 3B. I know Baez will be a downgrade defensively from Manny, but I like him better there than moving Davis, Schoop or Beckham over there and I don't like the thought of trying to sign Moustakas or Frazier.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I would rather see Baez, Almora, and a pitching prospect, for Manny and BrItton, than watch Manny walck for  pick.

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines. 

I'm almost 100% convinced there is no chance Machado resigns and I would like to get more for him than a pick.

51 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I would rather see Baez, Almora, and a pitching prospect, for Manny and BrItton, than watch Manny walck for  pick.

That's not really the point of this conversation. We aren't to the point where we have to give Manny away (or settle for less) if we trade him. Are Baez and Almora better than getting nothing for Manny? Of course. Is it a fair trade? Of course not. 

Archived