Dan Duquette on O's Hot Stove at 6pm, Nov 30th

wildcard

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The team was absolutely desperate for a live body that could actually play the position. :)

Manny at 3B was a revelation.    I can’t think of a more drastic defensive improvement than Manny replacing Betemit.  

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is what Dan said:

"The club has to decide if he’s going to be a long-term fixture in our lineup in Baltimore and I think that’s a decision for the club this offseason.”

When the VP of Baseball Operation says "the club" has to make a $300m decision, who do you think Dan is talking about?   Its pretty clear he was talking about Peter.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/11/duquette-on-britton-schoop-machado-and-more.html

He does seem to be indicating that it is out of his hands

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have some faith in Stewart, but I remain perpetually skeptical of the tactic of skipping players right from AA to the majors.    That said, spring training could be quite interesting this year with the likes of Hays and Stewart vying for spots.   

I'd rather watch that the next Spring. How much would Granderson cost?

The real smoking gun here was the line about wanting to keep Schoop around for the best part of his career.  That to me as a player would be a clear indication of what my value is to the team.  I get everyone knows it's a business but when the GM can't even pay lip service to keeping a guy as as integral part of the team...

Dan would have let Ripken walk and announced it on an interview that he wasn't worth the value of a potential contract.  Sometimes you have to play the game and Dan is incapable of doing that because he is too damn literal.

Terrible choice of words there.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The real smoking gun here was the line about wanting to keep Schoop around for the best part of his career.  That to me as a player would be a clear indication of what my value is to the team.  I get everyone knows it's a business but when the GM can't even pay lip service to keeping a guy as as integral part of the team...

Dan would have let Ripken walk and announced it on an interview that he wasn't worth the value of a potential contract.  Sometimes you have to play the game and Dan is incapable of doing that because he is too damn literal.

You dont remember 1991-2 and the turmoil around trying to resign Ripken Jr to keep him an Oriole for life?

I think in the end Cal caved in order to stay an Oriole, the contract he accepted was only 500K more than what he had rejected the year before.

Duquette made it clear that the Orioles aren’t considering a rebuild heading into the 2018 season despite the list of pending free agents that also includes Manny Machado, Adam Jones and Brad Brach. He’d rather be “all-in” and make another run at the postseason.

“I think that’s what people want,” he said. “We have some players who, the option year is coming up in their contracts. In this market, for 14 years, we had a team that was not competitive and lost more games than it won. When the team came back and was winning, the fans loved it. They came out and supported the club.

Roch had this in his blog about the interview.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have some faith in Stewart, but I remain perpetually skeptical of the tactic of skipping players right from AA to the majors.    That said, spring training could be quite interesting this year with the likes of Hays and Stewart vying for spots.   

Well if it’s up to Buck, Mullins will be vying for a spot too. I definitely think he needs more time, he has more he needs to work on while getting everyday AB.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Buck starts talking him up for the 4/5th OF spot.

18 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well if it’s up to Buck, Mullins will be vying for a spot too. I definitely think he needs more time, he has more he needs to work on while getting everyday AB.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Buck starts talking him up for the 4/5th OF spot.

He’s definitely talking him up already.    Mullins did a nice job in the spring training games he played in last year, and obviously made an impression on Buck.   Like you, I think he needs to spend most of 2018 in the minors.   But what I think doesn’t really matter.

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you here.  Dan said he would like to keep Schoop around, not that he wouldn't, right?

One thing that has not been mentioned from Dan's interview.

Dan said they have not found the solution to Tillman''s  pitching problems.  Sounds to me like they will not paid 6-10m to bring him back.  If he will sign for a low base and incentives that don't lock the O's in if Tillman can't find it.  Then the O's might be interested.

Sounds like Dan wants to trade Trumbo.  Hopefully for a veteran pitcher, probably on a bad contract.    Seems like bringing lefty Smith back to  be protection in case Hays isn't ready to start the season in right  but otherwise to be a platoon DH is  a possibility. 

O's are going to probably need some gap fillers until  Hays, Stewart  Santander and Mullins show they are ready for the majors.

Archived