Adam Jones Speaking out on Twitter.

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Just now, Frobby said:

90% of the posters here think the O’s should trade Manny and rebuild.   Do you think Jones is in favor of that?

Let’s say Jones thinks the team’s priority should be X, and Schoop thinks the priority should be Y, and Bundy thinks it should be Z.   Do we really want them staying  their views in public forums?    I’d rather they kept it to themselves.    Also, I think Twitter is a poor format for an intelligent discussion and it’s way to easy for cryptic remarks to get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.   

I think most of the time players don't agree with FO decisions, but they bite their tongues because they have faith that there's an organizational plan and a desire to win. Players get upset when there's no plan, when they don't know their role, when they feel like they've done everything they can for an organization but receive nothing in return, when they detect a lack of winning strategy. Jones has been here for a long time and he's been with a great core of players and how exactly have the Orioles decided to build on that talent? They've squandered it. They've refused to go after pitching, etc. 

Twitter isn't perfect but it gives players a voice. He's popping off because there isn't a plan to get HIS TEAM to the World Series. And he feels a disconnect with the organization because he's given 100% out there to be the face of the franchise and yet he's a free agent in 2019. You don't have to agree with that thinking, but that's the reality in terms of what is likely going through his mind. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Jones would like to sign Manny, and re-up himself for 5 more years while playing CF. He wanted Davis to get signed as well. Jones has been a great Oriole, and I would love for him to retire as an O, but I'm not sure he is the best person to be making roster decisions.....and yes, it's probably best to keep his disagreements to himself, or discuss privately with Buck and Dan.

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Yeah, and that was at a time when the Yanks and Sox were down. It was inexcusable. But ultimately, Peter allowed it. Now he has allowed a GM and manager with one year left to figure out the fate of the future. Maybe they have a verbal agreement of an extension in place, but if not, then you can't expect DD to do with is best for the organization. He will do what he thinks will garner the most wins in 2018.

I wonder if both Dan and Buck are staying quiet and or positive when they do speak in hopes of landing better jobs in 2019.

When they do job interviews and the truth comes out, their new bosses are going to say "You were able to accomplish all that within that environment and those perimeters!? Who are you, freaking Macgyver? You are hired sir!"

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I wonder if both Dan and Buck are staying quiet and or positive when they do speak in hopes of landing better jobs in 2019.

When they do job interviews and the truth comes out, their new bosses are going to say "You were able to accomplish all that within that environment and those perimeters!? Who are you, freaking Macgyver? You are hired sir!"

I know right. How does Buck not have an extension?  What would it take. 3 yr 10 million?

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone blame him? He sees what is going on better than anyone. I said back when those other comments he made about a month ago he was good as gone, and was told "no no you have it wrong". Open up your eyes, Adam sure has. This is a team with absolutely no direction because of one man and one man only. Who wants to stick around for that? I wish Adam the best wherever he ends up, he is a class guy all the way around and always has been. He just wants to win. Or at least have a chance of winning. This is business, and he is making the exact business decision he should, to get as far away from this rudderless ship as fast as possible. I'm sure he would love a deadline deal to speed up the process and I have no doubt that is what these comments are, sending a clear message he wants out there. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now Adam’s been arguing with fans who posted on MASN’s twitter feed.   See the sequence here:  http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2018/01/orioles-offseason-adam-jones-argues-with-fans.html?m=1

Is there any better way to telegraph that he isn't interested in a team friendly extension.  3 years/$24 mill is about what I think he's worth on an extension.  This has Markakis part Deux written all over it.

Veteran players generally want their friends and teammates  retained and extended on large contracts, and for front offices/ownerships to operate with a nearly limitless budget that also brings in veteran free agents at player friendly prices.  They don't want to go through rebuilds or see any of their friends traded or allowed to walk due to large contract demands...addition with virtually no subtraction.   It makes sense from their perspectives, and shouldn't shock or surprise or have undue influence on front office decisions.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

AJ responded to fans, okay. Not, sure I would call it arguing.

Seamed pretty mild actually.

I just picked up on the title of the article.    You’d prefer to call it “responding?”    Fine.    What I took from it is Adam won’t be giving any home town discounts to stay in Baltimore.   

Archived