Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its not that simple to say the most money.   Some players get a few teams bidding on them.  He picks the team he  wants and then his agent stops taking bids from the other teams and makes sure the preferred team gets the last and highest bid.   Other teams may have bid higher but they didn't get a chance.

If an agent actually does this, he is a fool.  If I am the player, I would insist on taking bids from any team possible and  would keep the bids going as high as possible up to the very last second and then pick.  In fact, I would keep asking interested teams if they wanted to bid more until they said no mas. And an agent working on percentage would be crazy not to keep seeking the highest bids possible. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

If an agent actually does this, he is a fool.  If I am the player, I would insist on taking bids from any team possible and  would keep the bids going as high as possible up to the very last second and then pick.  In fact, I would keep asking interested teams if they wanted to bid more until they said no mas. And an agent working on percentage would be crazy not to keep seeking the highest bids possible. 

If you read what WC said, it would be the player that directs the agent to stop taking offers.  You think an agent that does what his client tells him to do is a fool?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you read what WC said, it would be the player that directs the agent to stop taking offers.  You think an agent that does what his client tells him to do is a fool?

Hard to see why a player would do such a thing.   Does he think somehow that he won’t be able to say no if more money comes in, so he shuts it off from certain teams prematurely?  And if I am his agent, it is my obligation to give him advice and opinion and as many options as possible and then certainly he chooses..not just blindly do whatever he says.  Why have an agent at all  if the player doesn’t let him do his job.  An agent not even presenting the player with demonstrably higher offers would be foolish, imho. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Update. Thanks to an overwhelming interest in Cobb's services, his asking price has boomed for 4/48 up to 4/80. The Cubs, who were at one point very heavy favorites, are no longer involved thanks to the price tag.

On another forum that I run, we were calling that with Cobb and Lynn both.  It was a certainty that the Orioles would be out of that market, and if a bunch of dudes on an Internet forum saw it, color me shocked that the Orioles didn't.  

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

On another forum that I run, we were calling that with Cobb and Lynn both.  It was a certainty that the Orioles would be out of that market, and if a bunch of dudes on an Internet forum saw it, color me shocked that the Orioles didn't.  

It is pretty odd that MLBTR's projections seem to be pretty far off for a lot of these guys. Sometimes they seem to be from the DD school of starting pitching sticker shock....I think pretty much every team in baseball would've happily added him on a 4/48 contract.

Like you said, if it was quickly recognized by fans on a site like this that such a contract would be easily exceeded, you'd think MLBTR may recognize that too.

Oh well.

Archived